PDA

View Full Version : Double sided tape

Rich Kruyer
11-21-2013, 9:03 PM
I am trying to cut some 1/8" thick acrylic material I applied some double sided tape to the back of the object so that the tape would be cut at the same time as the acrylic. Problem is I keep burning the tape. The double sided tape is 2" wide tape from JDS with a yellowish colored backer. Is there a better tape to use or different procedure?

I also have a customer that brought some material by that is reverse engraved. The front has a frosted texture to it and is approximately .040" thick any ideas on what this material is? Also they use a double sided tape to adhere it the machinery with one piece of tape that is 12" x 12" any idea where I can purchase this?

My laser is a GCC mercury 35 watt.

Thanks,
Rich

Joe Pelonio
11-21-2013, 9:26 PM
I use 6" DS tape but it comes 12" and wider, 3M 467MP usually. I never had trouble with the backing burning, even when cutting 1/4" Acrylic. I can by it locally at several different sign supplies in Seattle but it's available online too. I get it by the roll. Not cheap but worth it.

On your other question, check the Rowmark site for reverse engraveable.

rich shepard
11-21-2013, 9:50 PM
I second the 3-M 467 MP great stuff. I use the 24 inch wide rolls and as Joe says not cheap but the best I have found. It's the same product used on veneer for kitchen cabinet refacing.

Tony Lenkic
11-22-2013, 8:41 AM
As Joe and Rich, I also use 3M 467MP but iI will disagree that it is expensive. Remember you are buying 12" or 24" 60 yard rolls.
For example JDS gold tape 2" x 36 yards lists around 25 bucks. 3M 467 tape 12" will yield 6 rolls of 2" 60 yards. (this works out to $21.00/roll with an extra 25 yards in length).