PDA

View Full Version : Sears router problem

Rick Potter
11-21-2013, 6:41 PM
I found a Sears router table, complete with a 1/2 and 1/4" collet. It is brand new at an outlet place for $35, and it had been returned to Sears because the router didn't run.

I thought I would take a chance on it, as I like to have small router tables set up all the time. Anyway, I have not taken it apart yet, but the router does run, slowly and with a lot of sparks inside the motor. It is non returnable, and I will keep the table in any event.

Is it possible the brushes could be installed backwards, or a bracket bent? The router turns freely by hand.

Just thought I would ask if anyone has had this problem, before I take it apart.

Thanks,
Rick Potter

Kyle Iwamoto
11-21-2013, 7:09 PM
How much is a lot of sparks? Enough to make smoke? You cannot install brushes "backwards" since the other end has the wire/spring. Well, I guess you could, but the router should not run that way. It could be in 90 degrees out, so the round part of the brush is not on the round part of the commutator. That would make some sparking, but not a lot. But "lots" is all relative. Easy check. Good luck.

John McClanahan
11-21-2013, 9:24 PM
My guess is that the motor is beyond reasonable repair. The collets may have some value.

John