PDA

View Full Version : Etching and color filling glasses and mugs

Dan Ashlin
11-21-2013, 3:16 PM
I have a customer that gets awards from me annually that wants me to supply items for their store, rather than the supplier they have now. The glasses and coffee mugs they are getting now are etched and color filled in gold. I'm not quite sure how to achieve this effect or where I could find a wholesaler that does it. I'm fine with etching glasses and printing mugs, but I'm not sure how to do both on the same thing. Has anyone run across something like this?

Joe Hillmann
11-21-2013, 5:14 PM
Could you put up a picture of what they have now? If we could see what you are trying to copy you may get more help.

Bill Cunningham
11-21-2013, 10:13 PM
They could be using gold RubnBuff it looks ok, and will withstand 20-40 cycles in a 140 deg F. dishwasher. But it will wash off eventually ..

Dan Ashlin
11-25-2013, 10:47 AM
They could be using gold RubnBuff it looks ok, and will withstand 20-40 cycles in a 140 deg F. dishwasher. But it will wash off eventually ..

That was my thought as well. I could color fill it for sure, but it won't withstand washing over an extended period. Maybe that's what they have now and just don't realize it. Unfortunately its for a military base so they won't let me post pictures of their stuff for some reason. It was sent to me as unclassified special. I'm not sure what that means, but I'd rather not find out the hard way lol.

Delbert Rippetoe
11-27-2013, 2:26 PM
We use photoresist on the glass, laser through it and then sandblast and paint. Works well just takes a little practice. Contact me if you have questions.

John Jackson
12-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Delbert,

What kind of photoresist do you use, and what brand paint do you use?

John

Braden Todd
12-01-2013, 12:53 PM
Are you sure it's a photoresist you are using on the laser? Photoresist is made to be exposed by uv light, washed out and then applied to the item to be sandblasted.

From my experience, laser tape is the best way to use a laser for sandblasting set up. The cost difference in material alone is around $800 for a roll. Plus the laser tape is formulated to be used on a laser and not have PVC or any other bad ingredients.