PDA

View Full Version : Install faceframe on a built-in then paint or vise-versa?

Matt Meiser
11-21-2013, 12:35 PM
The built-in I'm doing in my shop office is ready for finishing and I decided that I'd like to experiment with a painted finish. Normally I'd spray a faceframe, attach to the cabinet, then install. In this case the FF goes wall to wall so that's not feasible. The cabinet is installed and I need to attach the FF yet. Since I'm painting I could install then paint, or still finish then install (and touch up the pins I intend to use to hold it in place until the glue dries.) Recommendations?

Jamie Buxton
11-21-2013, 2:43 PM
How good are you with a brush? Me, I get a better finish with a spray. So I'd spray it in the shop, then install it.

Troy Turner
11-21-2013, 9:45 PM
Can't argue with a spray finish. I sprayed some crown before we installed. Course, after going back and caulking in nail holes and filling a couple of gaps, trying to repaint created streaks. So we just install then paint now. Little more time consuming, but gives a more even finish.

Leo Graywacz
11-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Fit and temporarily install the FF. After it's fitted perfectly figure out how you'll attach the FF to the body of the cabinet, hopefully without putting nails through your painted product.

Then remove the FF and paint it. Then install it with the pre planned strategy.

Judson Green
11-21-2013, 11:25 PM
I'd paint first but know that you'll need to do some touch up. Guessing that your gonna use 18 gauge or smaller, I've had good luck filling with ALEX (or something similar) then touch up painting. Using something that gets hard required too much sanding and gummed up paint and then needed too much painting. Also used a paintable cauck for the last little bit of scribe.