PDA

View Full Version : What program do you use for "File Backup"

Daniel Rabinovitz
06-06-2005, 4:34 PM
I have Roxio
It is a miserable pain to use or should I say, try to use.
I want to save files like I did with WIN98
You drag and drop a file from your "C" drive on the computer to your disk.
Now with WIN XP and the use of CD's, I want to do the same,
click on file on "C" drive and drag to CD.
Roxio says that it does that, but don't you bet on it. I worked with it for a year and half and I'm ready for a different back up program.
Anyone have something better.
Back ups are GOOD!

Jim Becker
06-06-2005, 4:45 PM
Technically speaking, non-rewriteable CDROMs don't support "drag and drop". But various software applications have a special mode that emulates this for convenience by keeping a write session "open" on the CDROM until you explicitly close it at the end of the exercise. There is also a multi-sesson mode of some kind.

Personally, I just use Sonic Software's utility that came with my Dell machine to move files to CDROM for backups. If you keep your data files organized in "one place", all under My Documents, it's easy to make regular backups. Of course, if you need to back up a lot of information, a more sophisticated application is nice if it can span multiple disks.

Lee DeRaud
06-06-2005, 5:12 PM
I admit I'm not as religious about backups as I should be, but when I do them I generally use Acronis True Image to push disk images (either directly or across the network) to the big disk on the upstairs machine. The result is a single (very large) file which is then relatively easy to move onto a DVD using Roxio or whatever.

Vaughn McMillan
06-06-2005, 7:45 PM
I use different programs, depending on whether I want to back up an entire disk or just a selected group of directory folder. For "whole disk" backups, I use Drive Image (originally from PowerQuest, but recently bought out by Symantec, so future versions will likely not ever be installed on my machines). For "folder" backups, I've been using Genie Backup Pro, which is pretty easy to use and seems to do a good job. It's always a good idea to check every once in awhile to confirm your backups can be recovered if need be.)

For the type of backing up you're doing Daniel (drag and drop to CD-ROM), I'd recommend one of the Nero products. They work similar to the Roxio products, but I've had much better success with the Nero line than Roxio's.

- Vaughn

Michael Perata
06-06-2005, 7:58 PM
I installed a RAID 1 controller and 2 SATA disks so may daily work won't be lost if a drive fails.

I bought a HP DVD Writer a couple of months ago and the disk creator program that came with the Unit is simply much, much better than ROXIO. I have not found a non-OEM version or I would be using it for all of my CD/DVD burning.

Michael McDuffie
06-06-2005, 8:55 PM
If you are just doing one or two files or saving a document to CDR use a packet writer. You can find them at hotfile.com or downloads.com.

The problem with a packet writer is that you can't read the disc on another PC 'till it's been finalized (sp?). I use Adaptec's DirectCD but I don't know if you can still get it. It came on a single floppy:eek:.

Michael

John Hart
06-07-2005, 6:41 AM
Daniel, I'd like to suggest that you use Nero. And use their latest version. When the program is open, they have it set up just like Windows Explorer and you drag your files from the right side to the left side...giving you the functionality that you're looking for. Older versions of Nero were somewhat buggy but the latest 2 versions seem fairly flawless. I suggest that you take 30 minutes learning it and you'll be a pro and not have to think about "steps to take". In my humble opinion of course.

Daniel Rabinovitz
06-07-2005, 11:09 AM
I didn't say it , but I do use Rewritable CD's
I have tried Memorex CD-RW and now am trying Maxwell CD-RW.
The Roxio CD & DVD Creator 6 program does various things that truncate the movement of files. I have tried many, many, many ways to work around the silliness that program has thrown at me. Roxio Creator 6 has two ways to backup - programed (which writes files until the CD is full and then asks you to "finalize" the CD. The other way is "Drag n' Drop - which is supposed to allow you to work with the program like I suggested above.) By the way I corrected the WIN XP from WIN EX (my forgetfullness)

So I want to drag n' drop - Access, Excel, and Word files that I changed during the day. Thats all. You know - individual files - not even folders. Just the files man (Dragnet!).
I don't do music or DVD's (movies) or that stuff.

Michael McDuffie
06-07-2005, 2:59 PM
isellsurplus.com has nero 6.6 for free with $4.99 shipping.
I got a copy a few months ago.

Michael

nic obie
06-07-2005, 3:48 PM
In the last few months hard drives have gotten so cheap that I've switched to backing up to one. I use Retrospect Express HD. It's a automatic program that can back up your files as you work (or check out SMC ;) ).

Here is a Seagate 160 G for $49.95. That is about the same price as what you would pay for CD-Rs (@.23/disc), and WAY easier and faster. If you require off site storage, just buy a external HD enclosure for $20 and you are all set.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4008242

I saw a Western Digital 80 G there for $19.95 if you think 160 G is too big for you.

Mark Patoka
06-07-2005, 4:46 PM
After my drive crashed last year and spending $150 to get it recovered, I bought an external hard drive. My son just picked ond up for under $100. It has USB hookup and once you set it up and tell the software what folders you want to back up, just press the button and it does it's thing. Couldn't be easier and it's portable to any othe computer.

Chuck Wintle
06-07-2005, 4:51 PM
isellsurplus.com has nero 6.6 for free with $4.99 shipping.
I got a copy a few months ago.

Michael
Was that the full version of Nero? Are you able to update from the website?

Chuck Wintle
06-07-2005, 4:52 PM
I have Roxio
It is a miserable pain to use or should I say, try to use.
I want to save files like I did with WIN98
You drag and drop a file from your "C" drive on the computer to your disk.
Now with WIN XP and the use of CD's, I want to do the same,
click on file on "C" drive and drag to CD.
Roxio says that it does that, but don't you bet on it. I worked with it for a year and half and I'm ready for a different back up program.
Anyone have something better.
Back ups are GOOD!
Its possible you have a conflict with the built in burning program in XP. See if Roxio have any patches or updates for the versiuon you have. Like another post said...hard drives are so cheap now you could get a second one for only file backup.