PDA

View Full Version : Myrtle used for knobs or totes

Joe Tilson
11-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Has anyone tried to use myrtle for knobs, totes or handles, and how does it do? I just cut one down in our front yard and would like to use it in such a manner if it will work.
Joe

Chris Vandiver
11-21-2013, 10:51 AM
It should work great for knobs and totes. It can be quite beautiful wood. It is very susceptible to bugs, so be careful with that. Myrtlewood trees are also called Bay Laurel or Pepperwood. Prevalent trees in northwest California and Oregon.

Jim Koepke
11-21-2013, 1:27 PM
Some hunks of Myrtle bought while the wife and I were in Oregon made some great handles for a few chisels.

It can make beautiful handles or even infill for tools.

jtk

John Powers
11-21-2013, 2:08 PM
There seem to be a number of myrtles. Posters are from PNW and the SE. I wonder if we're talking the same myrtle. I saved some Crape Myrtle from out front in new jersey. 14' tall, a dozen 2" stalks from central rootball. Havent used it for nothing.

Jim Koepke
11-21-2013, 2:47 PM
There seem to be a number of myrtles. Posters are from PNW and the SE. I wonder if we're talking the same myrtle. I saved some Crape Myrtle from out front in new jersey. 14' tall, a dozen 2" stalks from central rootball. Havent used it for nothing.

That is a good point John. Just like the many varieties of pine, there may be different things being called myrtle.

A quick look provides information to support your suspicion:

Oregon myrtlewood: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbellularia

Myrtle in general: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrtle

jtk

Joe Tilson
11-21-2013, 4:04 PM
What I have is Crape Myrtle. It is more a bush than a tree. The limbs are anywhere from 6" to 2"'s in diameter. This afternoon I have been making snowmen by stacking the rounds on a dowel. Even put a hat on it.
Thanks for the help,
Joe

David Wadstrup
11-21-2013, 8:11 PM
+1 on the susceptibility of Myrtle to bugs. I bough a beautiful slab piece of it about a year ago, got it home, and about 2 weeks later saw the tell tale signs of a powder post beetle infestation. Made me pretty nervous as it was sitting atop about 200bf of Walnut. The place I bought it from told me how they have considered no longer carrying it as this problem is common. Really is pretty, though. I hope to find another bug free slab some day.

Max Withers
11-22-2013, 12:36 AM
Crape myrtle, Lagerstroemia indica is not related to true myrtle (Myrtus communis), or California Bay Laurel (Umbellularia californica), apparently also known as Oregon myrtle. It may well be that the common names indicate similar woodworking properties, as the trees bear no resemblance to each other.