PDA

View Full Version : Starting a big Bowl

Gary Max
06-06-2005, 2:51 PM
This will be the largest bowl I have ever tried to turn. Thought I would share the set up with you. Of course this is how I do it---this aint the only way--heck it may not be the best way. I am a big fan of face plates for items of the size and weight---I just feel safer.

I am starting with a Cedar log that is a about 20 inches wide.
After marking where I want my cut I use my chainsaw to rip the log in half.
This log has been sitting in my shop for several years so it aint real wet.

I did get a blank 18 1/2 wide out of the log---the other half of the log will be cut for smaller items--maybe a real nice vase.

After I have the blank cut in half --I cut the best circle I can get. This thing is way off balance the way it is

Mounted on my lathe she turns fine at 100 rpms which is where I will start working on her at.

Michael Stafford
06-06-2005, 5:43 PM
Whoa, Gary, you be careful now ya' hear!!!! That piece of wood at 100 rpms can throw you through the ceiling if you have a bad catch so be careful friend.

Steve Inniss
06-06-2005, 6:35 PM
Gary,
That'll make a great bowl, I'm looking forward to see the results from that big new machine of yours. -Steve

Anthony Penchetta
06-06-2005, 6:37 PM
That is pretty bold. Can't wait to see the finished product! Glad your putting that new lathe to good use. BTW, when your done with that bowl, I could use some new 19" cedar tires for my car :D

John Hart
06-06-2005, 8:56 PM
I'm in your corner Gary!!! Good luck my friend!:)

Brad Hammond
06-06-2005, 9:37 PM
yee haw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is there an 8 second bell on that thing?

Ernie Nyvall
06-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Good luck with it Gary. I just brought home a sizable cedar tree. It's green and I haven't done anyting with it yet. I'll have to cut it down some though for my lathe.

Ernie

Kurt Forbes
06-07-2005, 10:04 AM
I am sure I do not need to tell you to wear a good respirator for that cedar when you get to finishing it.
But here I go reminding you anyway :D

Cedar is pretty tough on the lungs so take the proper precautions.