PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a draw knife, any recommendations

Pat Barry
11-20-2013, 7:24 PM
I have some pine logs and I need to strip the bark efficiently for some rustic table legs, maybe bed posts. I see Rockler has something but only one rating and it wasn't positive. Also see that Lee Valley has a couple choices, the smaller of the two looks like a good possibility but no customer ratings. My use is occasional for whats worth but I was hoping the blade will hold and edge pretty well and the thing won't fall apart. I'm sure some of you folks have ideas on this subject to help me out. Thanks

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-20-2013, 7:44 PM
I have no idea what it's like in your neck of the woods, but drawknives are more common than jack planes in the antique shops and flea markets around here, and unless they're fancy usually go for less - I'd be tempted by that approach. With a simple-ish jig, it's fairly easy to refresh the bevel on a bench grinder before hitting it with the stones, and either a hair of a back bevel (my preference, though I've limited experience in drawknives, all things considered) or a a bit more grinder work, you don't need to worry about lapping either, so they're relatively quick to rehab, over what you'd expect.

Tony Wilkins
11-20-2013, 7:58 PM
I have a Barr that I'm very happy with. However, I'd say look for a vintage witherby. IIRC, the LN drawknives are based on one of the witherby.

Tony Shea
11-20-2013, 8:13 PM
Lie Nielsen makes a wonderful drawknife that is a joy to use. If you are look for brand new then I would recommend the LN and I have also heard decent things about a Barr. But there is a ton of used draw knifes out there that are very nice but might take a little time to tune up.

Pat Barry
11-20-2013, 8:17 PM
I'll look at the Lie Nielsoen ones. I also found one on amazon Ox-Head OX3702250 8-3/4-Inch Curved Drawknife. Its made in Germany (must be good, right?).

Tony Wilkins
11-20-2013, 8:18 PM
Barr has a good video on sharpening drawknives if you decide to go vintage. Also, look up the Woodwrights Shop episodes with Brian Boggs and Eli Bizzarri for usage discussion that might help in narrowing down what you might want in one.

Eli Bizzarri's is here: http://video.pbs.org/video/1772015601/

Pat Barry
11-20-2013, 8:20 PM
Also, being new to this I'd appreciate advice on whether for the log prepping work I described if a curved or straight blade would make the most sense.

Jim Ritter
11-20-2013, 9:35 PM
I would use a straight blade for stripping off bark.
Jim

Mel Fulks
11-20-2013, 11:19 PM
Like Joshua,I find the old ones to be of good quality and pretty cheap. The larger ones are often cheaper than the small ones and for your purpose might even be better.

Jim Koepke
11-21-2013, 12:28 AM
+1 on bigger is better for draw knives stripping bark. The length allows for a shear cutting action to peel the bark.

jtk

Prashun Patel
11-21-2013, 9:45 AM
I got one from ebay. If I were to buy one new, I'd probably look at things from Highland WW or Lee Valley.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?205514-Riven-wood/page2&highlight=draw+knife (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?205514-Riven-wood/page2&highlight=draw+knife)