PDA

View Full Version : cedar fencing facelift

Vince Shriver
11-20-2013, 3:13 PM
Is there some kind of acid or soot compound that will make new cedar fencing look old, like it has been up for several years? I know that sounds a little nuts, but when I have to replace one or more cedar boards in my fence the new boards make the fence look cobbled up. Thanks

Rich Engelhardt
11-20-2013, 6:48 PM
Might be easier/better to just spray the whole thing w/a stain and blend new and old together.
A semi transparent oil stain, if one is still available where you live, should make all the pieces look the same.
A solid stain will also - but - I prefer a semi transparent if the boards have been previously unfinished.

Robert LaPlaca
11-21-2013, 9:28 AM
Cabot sells a product called Bleaching Oil, basically it's a super transparent gray stain that has some chemicals that bleach the color of the new ceder to silver grey (aka. driftwood) and some anti fungicides. I guess if you are looking for the driftwood grey look this product may work for you.

Vince Shriver
11-21-2013, 9:24 PM
That wold be it, Thaks Robert.

Rich Engelhardt
11-22-2013, 3:46 PM
Those weathering oils are only so - so.
They are a gray colored semi transparent stain with a weak acid added to accelerate the weathered look.
They take anywhere from 6 to 18 months to achieve a weathered look, so, don't expect everything to look nice and even for about a year.

How long does it take w/out the weathering oil?
About a year.....give or take...

phil harold
11-23-2013, 10:55 AM
back on Long island we did an experiment with cedar weathering

cedar shingled a 4x8 sheet of plywood mounted to some posts

and divided and stained
1/3 bleaching oil
1/3 semi transparent gray
1/3 solid stain gray

5 years later they all looked the same

so to blend new wood in to old wood
pressure wash the whole fence let it dry and then solid stain