PDA

View Full Version : Zone Alarm Pro question.

Richard McComas
06-06-2005, 2:36 PM
I run Zone Alarm Pro on my computer, I keep getting this popup wanting to know if I want to allow or deny a connection from that site. I don’t know what that program is or if it is safe to allow it a connection.

Anyone know what this program is?

Generic Host Process of Win32 Services
wants to accept connections for the
Internet.
Validation: Known Program

Application: sychost.exe

Source IP: 12.6.42.1:DNS

Harry Goodwin
06-06-2005, 3:04 PM
I have zone alarm pro and when it is first intalled every time you dial upon a site it will ask permission. If you actually surfed the web and wanted to pull up a site it will ask the normal question do you want it to come thru. It also will asked do you want the system to remember the answer it will do so like this site. You may get uninvited attemps and turn them down till something won't work. You can set levels of protection and it may act funny. On my PC I have to shut it down to receive email. On my laptop it simply downloads them. It has a good feature that you can enter your SS #s or other #s and stuff and it will not send them to a hacker without your permission. Nice feature. You will get used to it. Sometime it will admit a web picture sometime asked to be clicked on. Harry

Michael McDuffie
06-06-2005, 5:34 PM
When I get messages like this I google or yahoo the name of the program.
The response for this one is not good!!

<table align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="213" width="548"><tbody><tr><td align="left" bgcolor="#e8e8e8" height="30" valign="middle" width="513">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left" bgcolor="#e8e8e8" valign="bottom" width="513">http://www.processlibrary.com/graphics/RESULTL.GIF</td> </tr> </tbody><tbody> <tr> <td align="left" bgcolor="#f4f4f4" valign="top" width="513">
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="545"> <tbody><tr> <td width="150">Process File:</td> <td width="390">sychost.exe</td> </tr> <tr> <td width="150">Process Name:</td> <td width="390">LEOX.B VIRUS</td> </tr> </tbody></table> http://www.processlibrary.com/graphics/RESULTL2.GIF
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="545"> <tbody><tr> <td valign="top" width="150">Description:</td> <td width="390">sychost.exe is a process added to the system as a result of the LEOX.B VIRUS. This program is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately. </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody> </table>

Michael

Vaughn McMillan
06-06-2005, 7:39 PM
I run Zone Alarm Pro on my computer, I keep getting this popup wanting to know if I want to allow or deny a connection from that site. I don’t know what that program is or if it is safe to allow it a connection.

Anyone know what this program is?

Generic Host Process of Win32 Services
wants to accept connections for the
Internet.
Validation: Known Program

Application: sychost.exe

Source IP: 12.6.42.1:DNS
Looks like Zone Alarm Pro paid for itself on this one. As Michael pointed out, looks like you've picked up a virus. On first glance, I thought the application was syshost.exe, not sychost.exe. Syshost is a standard part of Windows, whereas sychost is a clever attempt to sneak one by you.

Obviously, if Zone Alarm asks again, tell it to never allow sychost to access the Internet. In the meantime, run, don't walk, to your nearest anti-virus program and give it a spin.

- Vaughn