PDA

View Full Version : Design opportunity -Spalted/Ambrosia Maple bowl

Roger Chandler
11-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Hi folks...........been a while since I posted anything on SMC or elsewhere related to a turning I have done. I have been out of commission nursing a shoulder injury, and have not turned for a couple of months until a little bit this week. My wife's co-workers sent me word last week they wanted me to make another ornament for the annual Christmas ornament exchange........they specified either a birdhouse ornament or a bee hive ornament.......I took care of that with a birdhouse ornament out of maple with a walnut roof and perch.

Then I made a bowl for the Heritage Museum by request out of the Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree wood ........it will go on permanent display. Both those have already gone to the respective places, so no pics there.

Last evening, we had a meeting of the Central Virginia Woodturners, one of the clubs I belong to, and since I had not taken anything for the show & tell for a few months, I felt almost embarrassed to show up without something, so ...........since I had cut up some log blanks that had been in my shop and in my way for the last year, and were cracked, I decided to use one of the pieces I got out of one of them for a medium size bowl.

I got into the wood and found some bad areas and decided I needed to turn that away, but did not want to make a smaller bowl than necessary, so I had a design opportunity........take the bad away and that would leave me with a chance to make a feature with the sidewalls.

I put a step of sorts on the wall, still trying to give somewhat of a curve, and then tried to mirror the same step on the inside of the bowl. I put a sloped rim down into the bowl on it as well to add a little more visual interest.

I did not have time to do anything more elaborate than a bowl.......the meeting started a 7 pm, and it is nearly an hour drive, and I was turning the tenon off this thing at 5 pm, so the finish was not totally dry when I took it in last evening for show& tell. WOP was the finish. I apologize for less than stellar pics........my photo setup is currently put away, and I did not want to go through the trouble of getting it all out..........just a white paper background.

This was sort of "spur of the moment," and I was not sure how it would be received, but the comments I did get were positive, at least. This is 8" in diameter and 3.25 inches tall. Comments welcome.

Paul Engle
11-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Looking good Roger! The sloped sides bring a bit of intrest, and the thickness makes it appear beefier ( ?) :D

Roger Chandler
11-20-2013, 1:06 PM
This is actually just a hair over 1/4"..........I know, it looks thicker in the pics, but the slope down makes it look as you said "beefier!" ;) Thanks Paul!

Brian Kent
11-20-2013, 2:32 PM
I do enjoy it when turning away the problem areas leads us to shapes we did not plan. This is quite enjoyable.

Roger Chandler
11-20-2013, 2:59 PM
I do enjoy it when turning away the problem areas leads us to shapes we did not plan. This is quite enjoyable.

Thanks Brian................much appreciated!