PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley Sweatshirts...

Derek Arita
11-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Just letting you know, I just got a couple of the Lee Valley sweatshirts in their Christmas stuff and man, are they nice. They're not cheap, but I wear a lot of sweatshirts and these are the best I've ever owned. They are thick, nicely fitted and seem to be a really good quality fleece. True to size as well. Just FYI...

Jamie Buxton
11-20-2013, 11:20 AM
$75 for a sweatshirt!

Brian Tymchak
11-20-2013, 11:42 AM
$75 for a sweatshirt!

Are you sure that's not a Festool sweatshirt??? :D

Derek Arita
11-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Really, huh. That said, you don't buy Festool cause it's cheap and it's the same with Lee Valley stuff.

paul cottingham
11-20-2013, 12:06 PM
No doubt, eh. There is good sense in paying good money for a shirt that will last a long time. A lot of us do it for tools. I only wish they made them big enough for me.

Matt Day
11-20-2013, 3:14 PM
I really like the design and look of them. When I opened the catalog in front of my wife I said "sweet, those are some nice sweatshirts!" Then we looked at the price - not that sweet!

John Pratt
11-20-2013, 4:42 PM
Are you sure that's not a Festool sweatshirt??? :D

I like Festool and I am not into bashing them for their prices, but that was funny.

Alan Lightstone
11-20-2013, 8:32 PM
How many did you buy? I did a google search, and they all say out of stock.

Derek Arita
11-20-2013, 10:45 PM
I hate to admit this, but I ended up getting 2 black, 2 of the pullover and 1 red. First, I seldom find clothes that I like that fit well, so when I do, I buy multiples of it. Secondly, I thought these might sell out quickly, so I better act quickly. If I changed my mind, I could always return what I didn't want.

Matt Day
11-21-2013, 7:28 AM
Whoa, that's like $400 in sweatshirts! I'm glad the cheapo ones at marshals fit me.
Glad you found some good ones that fit you, they do look very sharp.

Derek Arita
11-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Not only are they a good fit, but they are thick and quite warm. They take the place of a jacket, without the bulk. I got one for the shop and one to wear out, in each color.

Doug Richardson
11-21-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm sorry, but if you are willing to pay $75 to advertise someone else's business, then you should be paying someone to do your own woodworking projects also..... ;-)

Patrick McCarthy
11-21-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm sorry, but if you are willing to pay $75 to advertise someone else's business, then you should be paying someone to do your own woodworking projects also..... ;-)

I disagree. Not a lot different than all the people floating around in team jersies - - - alot of whom are way too well fed to play any sport, other than drinking beer.

If the guy wants to fly Robin's colors, so be it. If he can afford a good sweatshirt, more power to him. He seems to know what he likes, appreciates quality, and was entitled to post his comments here.

BTW, I just ordered one too; thank you for the recommendation.

Paul Douglass
11-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Be okay if they paid by the hour for you advertising for them. I always felt it was a real setup to charge a person for clothing that had a company name or logo written on it. They get paid for a person advertising for them.... and they always get more for there clothing just because a person is willing to do it. I'm not the only one thinking this way, you never see a manufacturer logo on a UPS truck.

Derek Arita
11-21-2013, 11:24 AM
I like the sports team analogy. It's the same thing. You like something and you're proud enough of it to show it and support it. What's wrong with that?

Jamie Buxton
11-21-2013, 11:51 AM
Cars are another. For a century, customers have been paying to display manufacturers' logos.

Doug Richardson
11-21-2013, 12:43 PM
I disagree. Not a lot different than all the people floating around in team jersies - - - alot of whom are way too well fed to play any sport, other than drinking beer.

If the guy wants to fly Robin's colors, so be it. If he can afford a good sweatshirt, more power to him. He seems to know what he likes, appreciates quality, and was entitled to post his comments here.

BTW, I just ordered one too; thank you for the recommendation.

And I agree to disagree. Colgate hoodies, while expensive, are not commanding $75 a pop. I meant no Ill will to anyone that likes the design, finds them comfortable, warm, cozy, whatever. I just find them more than a little on the pricey side. While it's not "Lee Valley", during certain times of the year, you can walk in a Menards, buy a hoodie with their logo on, send in a rebate form, and for the cost of a "forever stamp", you get the total cost of the hoodie back in a certificate good at any Menards. They get some relatively free advertising, and they get you back in the store to spend that certificate. And who goes in the grocery store to get a half gallon of milk, and come out with only a half gallon of milk?.....

I was just giving my own humble opinion, with a bit of sarcasm thrown in. You don't have to agree with me, but as long as I am not flaming someone, I believe I am entitled to post my comments here also.....

Andrew Pitonyak
11-21-2013, 4:16 PM
I like the sports team analogy. It's the same thing. You like something and you're proud enough of it to show it and support it. What's wrong with that?

Now if the sport begins with a rough piece of wood and turns it into 4 perfect faces of a specific dimension using only hand tools.....

Steven DeMars
11-22-2013, 6:06 PM
How about the guys in the $500.00+ Harley-Davidson Leather Jackets? Steve

Derek Arita
11-22-2013, 6:50 PM
Don't know why all the hub-bub...I just wanted to let you guys know about some neat sweatshirts that were a few steps above the $19 Target type and quality. If you like it, buy it. If you don't...don't.

Ben West
11-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Derek -- I for one will buy one or two. I love quality sweatshirts and any really good ones I've bought lately are at least $50. All the Under Armour stuff is $50+, so what's the big deal?

A few years ago, as a result of having a debate with my parents about buying "Made in America" stuff, I went in search for a pair of Khaki pants that were American made. I finally found and bought some -- at $120.

Buying American (or Canadian) is a great slogan, but it often requires shelling out extra $. Luckily, you usually get better quality to go along with the sense of national pride. I don't do that with every purchase, but am usually happy when I do.

Keith Outten
11-23-2013, 11:17 AM
Nothing wrong with showing your support for a company, team or product you feel connected to, associate with or just simply enjoy.

I have some John Deere hats, Vectric Hats and last but not least SawMill Creek hats and t-shirts that I wear almost every day. The high quality stuff is more expensive but often worth the investment when they last longer and don't fall apart in the washing machine :)

I recently made my first purchase from Lee Valley. After all these years listening to literally thousands of people here discuss their company I still had no idea the variety of products they provide. I found a couple tools I had been looking for for years on the Lee Valley web site, the quality was top notch so I have been spending way to much time lately cruising their web site and the catalogs they are now sending me.

I think Lee Valley is a really high class company who is deserving of the groupies as you call them and I'm not surprised that people are interested in showing their colors :)