PDA

View Full Version : Need 32" full extension slides

Anthony Whitesell
11-20-2013, 5:57 AM
I need two pairs of 32" full extension slides with a 35 lb weight rating. I looked for some, but the ones I have found are cost prohibitive. Does anyone have any plans (or pictures) for DIY full extension slides?

fred woltersdorf
11-20-2013, 9:09 AM
Here's one with a 100# rating.

http://www.wwhardware.com/blum-430-epoxy-coated-full-extension-drawer-slides-b430e

Peter Quinn
11-20-2013, 12:14 PM
I don't know of any DIY method that really approaches full extension, particularly over that depth, unless you have 6-8" minumum to sacrifice at the back. I doubt also that you will find slides that long with such a low duty rating. A drawer that big simply suggests more weight in most cases. Here's a link for a company I've used for long heavy duty slides, best prices I've found.

http://www.tchweb.com/tchstore/category/drawerslides/s0/520---Drawer-Slides.html

Anthony Whitesell
11-20-2013, 12:45 PM
I don't know of any DIY method that really approaches full extension, particularly over that depth, unless you have 6-8" minumum to sacrifice at the back. I doubt also that you will find slides that long with such a low duty rating. A drawer that big simply suggests more weight in most cases. Here's a link for a company I've used for long heavy duty slides, best prices I've found.

http://www.tchweb.com/tchstore/category/drawerslides/s0/520---Drawer-Slides.html

I only listed my weight requirement because if I didn't I know it would be asked. It was also listed to note that there wasn't much weight involved. I actually have over 12" behind the drawer to spare. I am adding a pullout shelf below my 'repair bench' (opposed to my woodworking bench) which is made from a sheet of 3/4" 4x8 plywood. The shelf/drawer will be for storing the blades for a bandmill.

I don't see that TCH has any 32", but WW Hardware does.

Larry Edgerton
11-20-2013, 4:48 PM
For what you are doing a hardwood ell on both sides of the drawer would be fine as you can make the drawer extra deep. If the bench is accessible from both sides you could make a 48" drawer that pulled out either side and just drop in a divider where you need it.

I have made full extension wood drawer slides, but they are time consuming. They are three pieces much like any full extension. I think I found the design in an old Fine Woodworking magazine.

Larry

Anthony Whitesell
11-20-2013, 5:37 PM
The bench is only accessible from one side. I am doubting the ability of a piece of wood 12" long to support the weight of 32lbs (nominally, sometimes more as I work with removing and adding blades) cantilevered over a distance of 30".

Peter Quinn
11-20-2013, 9:05 PM
I had a drawer in a bench on wooden slides, it opened from either side, ran on c's made of hard maple screwed to the bench frame, I think the runners screwed to the drawer were jatoba scraps? I could pull out 30" of drawer with a butt load of weight, but I probably had 14" remaining on the back side also loaded, so that cantilever worked in my favor. You might be able to make them like expandable table hardware or use table stretchers, though I doubt on a time and materials basis that would be cost effective. I mentioned TCH because they have 36" slides in 250lb rating, less than half the cost of the junky epoxy slides from wwhardware, I've used them, they are rock solid. If you have the extra 4" to the back then you have " over travel" slides at no additional cost! I actuall stood in a drawer mounted on those slides pulled all the way out, no issues. Supprised the screws held.

Larry Edgerton
11-21-2013, 7:55 AM
. I actuall stood in a drawer mounted on those slides pulled all the way out, no issues. Supprised the screws held.

Ironic. I have a picture somewhere of my brother and I standing in a 48"w by 32" deep heavy duty drawer that I built using Accuride 500# slides.

Anthony, I may have some 32" Accuride slides in storage, I will look today when I am at the shop.

Larry

Andrew Joiner
11-21-2013, 10:03 AM
I mentioned TCH because they have 36" slides in 250lb rating, less than half the cost of the junky epoxy slides from wwhardware, I've used them, they are rock solid.

Wow 250 lb slides for $36, great find. Thanks Peter