PDA

View Full Version : Help -attaching a top to a storage / pantry

Keri Gollance
11-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Hi

I'm a beginner woodworker and can use some advice. Any recommendations on how to attach the oak top to this storage pantry. The front to needs attached so it's permanent. The back half of the top in the picture is hinged (will be) to load dog food in the bin. I guess I could use L brackets but was wondering if there is a better way. Any advice is appreciated.

thanks
keri

Jerry Miner
11-20-2013, 1:15 AM
Dowels, biscuits, Dominos, pocket screws, cleats, ...

Frankly, I think it's best to work out the assembly process before you get this far. In this case, you could have attached a "sub-top" under the top (with glue and/or screws ) and attached the sub-top through the box sides before the trim went on. But you'll be OK. Looks like you have some room behind the top rail of the face-frame for a couple of small (like 3/4 x 3/4) cleats that can be screwed to the box sides and to the underside of the top.

Joe Kieve
11-20-2013, 7:27 AM
My suggestion also...cleats screwed to the top edges, then top screwed from underneath to secure it.

Keri Gollance
11-20-2013, 8:06 AM
Thank you for the suggestion. Off to the store. At least I'm learning :). Each project gets better.