PDA

View Full Version : Super Gorilla Wall Mount Installation

Andy Shearon
11-19-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm looking for recommendations on how to minimize the sound transmission of a super gorilla dust collector into the structure of my garage (I plan on building a room around it - but that's a different posting).

I think I have two options in terms of isolation the vibration from the rest of the room.

1) Buy and install the DC on their free-standing stand. Pluses: DC is not tied directly to wall. Minuses: $s, plus I need to make the closet a little bigger in order to be able to empty the chips from the barrel (The stand legs get in the way for where/how I need to build the little closet)

2a) Stock wall mount bracket. Plus: cheaper than stand. Minus: no sound isolation

2b) Wall mount bracket with some type of vibration isolation between bracket and wall. Plus: some isolation. Minuses: Not sure of what material to use to isolate it, given that the material will be in compression (squished between bracket and wall), and in shear.

2c) Wall mount bracket with vibration isolation between bracket and DC. Plus: Seems like this would have good isolation, plus isolators would be in compression. Minus: I haven't heard of anyone doing it this way. Further info: Manual shows 3 bolts holding DC to bracket. I'm thinking about replacing these three bolts with something like the following isolator:

http://images2.mcmaster.com/Contents/gfx/large/9376kp11l.png?ver=27531268

Anyone with a Super Gorilla have any lessons learned to share?

Andy

Leo Graywacz
11-20-2013, 12:28 AM
If you mount it to the wall you are going to have transmission. I don't think the isolators you show are going to help much. How about building a fake wall to mount it to? You could attach it to the floor and then use various isolation methods to support the top to the existing wall structure.

I did the wall mount thing, but didn't worry about sound. I'm in a dedicated shop environment where noise is expected.

This is the only pic I have that remotely shows the wall hanging setup

http://www.fototime.com/090FEDCB2E9ED59/orig.jpg

Wade Lippman
11-20-2013, 12:57 AM
I don't know about the gorilla, but I built a stand for my Grizzly out of 2x4s. Went up quickly and was a fifth of the real stand. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work for the Gorilla also. Odds are wood vibrates less then the metal would.
I don't know why you want a room, but it doesn't make any sense for sound. The cyclone is no louder than the tools you will be using it with, so suppressing the cyclone noise is not a big deal.

Leo Graywacz
11-20-2013, 8:08 AM
My Gorilla while it didn't sound that loud was pretty loud. When I vented it outside you really noticed a substantial difference in the sound level. You can be right next to the DC and talk with a buddy and not have to raise your voice.

Before the outdoor venting you would rather turn it off to converse.

John Lanciani
11-20-2013, 8:54 AM
2c) Wall mount bracket with vibration isolation between bracket and DC. Plus: Seems like this would have good isolation, plus isolators would be in compression. Minus: I haven't heard of anyone doing it this way. Further info: Manual shows 3 bolts holding DC to bracket. I'm thinking about replacing these three bolts with something like the following isolator:

http://images2.mcmaster.com/Contents/gfx/large/9376kp11l.png?ver=27531268

Anyone with a Super Gorilla have any lessons learned to share?

Andy

This is what I did with my V3000. Like you said, it puts the isolators in compression instead of shear. (The compression isolators are less expensive for the same capacity) I was happy with the results, and even recommended (in vain) that Oneida supply the isolators with the wall bracket.