PDA

View Full Version : Dust respirators

joe marra
11-19-2013, 7:58 PM
Any suggestions on half face respirators. Looking at 3M Tekk.

Robert Delhommer Sr
11-19-2013, 8:46 PM
I have the 3M and like it. :)

John Beaver
11-19-2013, 9:09 PM
I use a North CFR-1
Lightweight and comfortable.

John King
11-19-2013, 9:53 PM
Checkout the 3M 6200 at http://www.shop3m.com/3m-half-facepiece-reusable-respirator-6200-07025-aad-respiratory-protection-medium.html. Comes in three sizes. Multiple filter options. I love it. - John

Dale Bonertz
11-20-2013, 7:30 AM
Joe,

I looked up the 3m tekk model and the filters look a bit large to fit under a face shield comfortably. I also use one similar to the 3m that John shows except my is the comfo mask by MSA I think. The nice thing about these types of respirators is the dust filters can be unscrewed and and a vapor filter screwed on when needed. These filters are low profile and fit under a bionic face shield perfectly with no condensation forming on the shield. When I purchased mine it was about the same price as what John is showing and then you buy the filters (which last for a very long time) which are similar in price to the mask itself. CA glue is starting to bother me (don't use it a lot) but with the vapor filter it really helps with that. Just my 3 1/2 cents since it is a longer post.

Jim Underwood
11-20-2013, 8:33 AM
I might just look into that. My AirShield Pro is not measuring up. But the Bionix face shield is comfortable and fully adjustable, unlike the AP. But also unlike the AP, it has no filtration...

joe marra
11-20-2013, 9:19 AM
Thanks all for the heads up. I do use a bionic face shield, and didn't think about the fit. I think I'll try the MSA. Thanks again.

Joe,

I looked up the 3m tekk model and the filters look a bit large to fit under a face shield comfortably. I also use one similar to the 3m that John shows except my is the comfo mask by MSA I think. The nice thing about these types of respirators is the dust filters can be unscrewed and and a vapor filter screwed on when needed. These filters are low profile and fit under a bionic face shield perfectly with no condensation forming on the shield. When I purchased mine it was about the same price as what John is showing and then you buy the filters (which last for a very long time) which are similar in price to the mask itself. CA glue is starting to bother me (don't use it a lot) but with the vapor filter it really helps with that. Just my 3 1/2 cents since it is a longer post.

joe marra
11-20-2013, 9:23 AM
John, will this fit under a bionic shield? Thanks

Checkout the 3M 6200 at http://www.shop3m.com/3m-half-facepiece-reusable-respirator-6200-07025-aad-respiratory-protection-medium.html. Comes in three sizes. Multiple filter options. I love it. - John

Michael Mills
11-20-2013, 10:00 AM
These are what I use. Rated N100 (99.97 efficient) down to 0.3 microns. Thats better than some of the $300 units. They state up to 160 hours but I normally trash mine after about 60 hours use. I only use them for sanding so the 60 hours is six months to a year for me. They do fit tight and the bands do not get weak. There is about a 3/4" seal around the edges.
A little pricey but the last I bought was for six for <$30. I assume the replacement filters for the half mask would run as much.
No problem under a face shield.
http://www.amazon.com/3M-Particulate-Respirator-8233-N100/dp/B008MCV43K

I believe Ace carries them and probably a lot of drug stores.

I also have some N95 (95% efficient rating at the same 0.3 microns) for visitors that I just trash as they run about $2.

Thom Sturgill
11-20-2013, 12:51 PM
Michael, i like the looks of that filter, but wouldn't the slightly more expensive P100 be better? I sand with oil and mineral spirits and while they help keep the dust down, they would contaminate an N100, IMHO. Like Jim, my Airshield (not the Pro) is not working as well as I would like as far as vision is concerned.

Ryan Mooney
11-20-2013, 1:33 PM
I ended up with the 3M 7503 which is similar to the 6200 (essentially the same form factor as far as I can tell) except that its silicone instead of thermoplastic so it seems to fit a bit more comfortably and seals around the beard nicely (yeah yeah I know.. it would be better without). It also has an exit valve which makes breathing easier and helps keep it a bit cooler. At $23 vs $10 I figured why not upgrade. The 3M 2097 P100 filters run less than $10 per pair for replacements (they have other filters, those are just the ones I'm using so I can't say how well others fit, they seemed to be about the right filter when I compared). I think that that is less than the stand alone mask by a couple of bucks most places so ongoing it might pay back eventually.

This combo fits nicely under the uvex bionics face shield, I don't notice it hitting the shield or being in the way at all. Its pretty much out of my view except for very peripheral vision. Its also quite comfortable in relative terms.

I have a Trend but after an hour or two my neck would be killing me due to it being so top heavy (and probably I hunch over to much which surely doesn't help but that's what it is) so it ended up not being used when I should have.

Michael Mills
11-20-2013, 1:50 PM
Michael, i like the looks of that filter, but wouldn't the slightly more expensive P100 be better? I sand with oil and mineral spirits and while they help keep the dust down, they would contaminate an N100, IMHO. Like Jim, my Airshield (not the Pro) is not working as well as I would like as far as vision is concerned.

Thom, I am not qualified to say but here is link to a P100 and it states in the description...
"Do Not Use For: Gases and vapors, including those present in paint spraying operations, oil aerosols, asbestos or sandblasting."

http://www.amazon.com/3M-P100-Particulate-Respirator-8293/dp/B001BXRRH4/ref=sr_1_6?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1384972234&sr=1-6&keywords=3m+respirator+P100

3M makes so many different ones (such as for welding, etc) that I just found one that seems to work very well for me. I do not sand with solvents but I do sometimes burnish or fill the pores with slurry using 4-0 steel wool. Just passing on a cost and comfort solution for my needs but it may not meet other folks needs.

Adrian Anguiano
11-20-2013, 2:38 PM
I prefer the 7500 series as well. Mainly for the downward breathing release that will not fog up your glasses like a port thats in the front.

It works great with P100 filters. This is the best place i found the mask sans filters

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Facepiece-Respirator-Respiratory-Protection/dp/B00AR63G12/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384976219&sr=8-2&keywords=3m+7500

Robert Delhommer Sr
11-20-2013, 4:44 PM
I believe my 3M is the 7500 series because it is silicone and very comfortable & does not fog my glasses. I like it. :)

Dave Mueller
11-20-2013, 7:36 PM
+1 to John King's suggestion on the 3M. I just bought it and do wear it under my Uvex face shield with no problem. I really like the head straps...very comfortable.

John King
11-20-2013, 7:42 PM
John, will this fit under a bionic shield? Thanks

I use a Uvex Bionic face shield. The 3M half facepiece reusable respirator (http://www.shop3m.com/3m-half-facepiece-reusable-respirator-6200-07025-aad-respiratory-protection-medium.html) easily fits under the Uvex Bionic face shield. The 3M particulate filters are round. They are 4.25" diameter. Front edge of the particulate filters just touch the inside surface of the Uvex Bionic face shield. Not a problem. - John

steve johnson
11-25-2013, 6:58 AM
Jim, did you ever get the dust collection parts I gave you hooked up?

Jessica Gothie
11-25-2013, 7:52 AM
I have the 3M 6391, in "large" which fits me (I do not feel I have an oversized head) comfortably and snugly. Fits under my face shield without problems, straps are comfortable and do not come loose. Have not had shield-fogging problems (and shop is unheated). I got it because I have crappy lungs (smoked for twenty years, quit for ten now) and any particulate exposure (insulation, drywall dust, sanding dust, etc.) irritates me and has me hacking for days afterwards. This works great -- if I wear it, no hacking. If I don't wear it, hacking cough for three days. I'm a believer.

Prashun Patel
11-25-2013, 8:08 AM
I have the 6000 series half-mask from 3M. I like it because it's inexpensive and the filters are readily available from the Big Box stores. There are also organic cartridges so you can use it when spraying.

phil harold
11-25-2013, 11:13 AM
I really like the Survivair resperators
very comfortable

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/survivair-respirators.html