PDA

View Full Version : New blade and breaker suggestions

James Tibbetts
11-19-2013, 6:56 PM
This is an old Craftsman plane my father bought in at least the early 70's maybe late 60's. The sole is 14" long and 2-9/16" which I would think puts it in the range of a #5. As you can see from the pictures what I found under the chip breaker was not what I was expecting. After some cleaning, tuning and sharpening the cutter we'll see how it does. My question is this: If I wanted to update this critter to a more modern blade is it as simple as finding a chip breaker and blade set to match? There should be some wiggle room here; the blade is 1-7/8", the mouth is 2" and could easily be filed open to 2-1/8" if necessary. Cost may be the determining factor. With the Woodcraft #5 on sale now sinking a bunch of money in this one doesn't make sense. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks.

Graham Haydon
11-19-2013, 7:08 PM
Clean it up, keep it for sentimantal reasons and admire it. Then buy a woodriver #5. If you do want to use it buy a cheap blade and use it as a true Jack plane for hogging of stock fast!

Frederick Skelly
11-19-2013, 10:13 PM
If it were my Father's plane, I'd upgrade it and use it. I like the Woodriver planes, but this tool is special because of its heritage. Assuming the tool is functional, you cant beat that kind of heritage - even with an LN.

I bought a Lee Valley blade and chip breaker for my #5 Frankenplane last summer. I love the way the resulting tool works wood. Personally, Id call LV and tell them what you have. See if they have something that fits. Seems like my upgrade was less than $60.

But dont let Dad's tool sit and rust.

Just my $0.02.
Fred

bridger berdel
11-20-2013, 12:21 AM
does that plane have a pressed sheet metal frog?

have you tried sharpening the blade in it and using it? might work better than you think. or not.....

Shawn Pixley
11-20-2013, 2:49 AM
I have a similar Craftsman plane from a relative. It had a cheap blade and chipbreaker (not quite as cheezy as your example). I replaced withan IBC blade and it made a marginally acceptable jack / scrub. If I were to do it again, I'd skip trying to make it work and invest more time on a plane with better bones.

Jim Foster
11-20-2013, 8:17 AM
A scrub plane does not need much precision. What you have there may work just fine if you can grind and hone an 8" or 9" radius on the blade and use it. Can't tell from the pictures if the blade has the freedom to be treated like that though.

Jim Belair
11-20-2013, 8:30 AM
If you do want to use it buy a cheap blade and use it as a true Jack plane for hogging of stock fast!

+1 That frog is unlikely to provide sufficient support for any kind of precision work.

My Dad had some cheap tools and wasn't much of a woodworker. I choose to keep things that were more in line with his passions than any of his cheap tools.

steven c newman
11-20-2013, 9:43 AM
The frog is a typical "Handyman" style of frog. Merely go to nhplaneparts and pick up a 2" iron, chipbreaker, and a lever cap. You would then have a workable #1205 Jack plane. Slght cambwe to the edge of the iron, or even an 8" one would be OK to use. This is a Jack plane, not meant for smoother work, anyway. I have a close relative of this plane, a Great Neck, Corsair C-5 with a single bolt to hold the frog in place. 8" radius on the edge, and it is a mighty fine Scrub Jackplane.

Note: Have four Jacks in the shop. Bailey Frankenplane, an Ohio 05c, a sargent 414c, and that C-5. All see a lot of work...( Also have a Wood River #4 V3, and use it as a smoother)

Judson Green
11-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Sound advice from Mr. Newman. You'd have a nice user jack plane, have your fathers presence in the shop and not much money invested.

steven c newman
11-20-2013, 5:06 PM
even an old junker of a #4 would provide the same needed parts, as both a #4 and a #5 share the same size in irons, chipbreakers, and lever caps.

What style of lever cap is up to you....one can even get a "normal" Craftsman lever cap, or just a plain, no-name one.

george wilson
11-20-2013, 6:07 PM
That is one of those 4 sided blades that Craftsman touted so highly in the late 50's. I was in my late teens,and for some reason got all excited about having 4 sharp edges ready to use. I got that aluminum body one that used the same blade. I still have it in a drawer. Never did use it much. Too blasted light!

James Tibbetts
11-20-2013, 11:53 PM
As always guys, lots of great information and advice! Much food for thought.
I'll update this as things progress.