PDA

View Full Version : If I was going to visit a Lee Valley

Matt Meiser
11-19-2013, 4:22 PM
Thinking about a trip to Toronto some time. We'd go by London on the way to Toronto, might come home via Niagara Falls. Which is the "best" location to visit, or are they all about the same?

Cliff Polubinsky
11-19-2013, 4:26 PM
Don't know which is best but there's one along the route from Niagara Falls to Detroit. Stopped at that one on our last trip to New England. If I remember you barely had to get off the highway.

Cliff

Rod Sheridan
11-19-2013, 5:03 PM
Hi Matt, there are 3 in Toronto, one in the west end, one downtown, and one in the eastend.

The west and east stores are similar, the one downtown is in an old buliding with exposed beams and hardwood floors.

I haven't been to the west store in awhile, I live near the east store and it's larger than the downtown one...........Regards, Rod.

fRED mCnEILL
11-19-2013, 7:19 PM
We have two near me and they are both basically the same. Kinda like MacDonalds only better.LOL

Bryan Cowing
11-19-2013, 7:27 PM
I have only shopped at the London store so I can't comment on the rest. It's easy to get to, off the 401 a few miles on Veterans parkway, a 50 mph road so won't take long, turn left onto Oxford st, it's on the right a few hundred ft . I would say they are probably the same. Most items on display, you write the # of the item you want on a page / clipboard, hand that in at the counter and they fill your order from the stock room in back.

Chris Fournier
11-19-2013, 9:48 PM
The Burlington and London locations would be the easist to get to from the 400 series highways. All stores are pretty similar.

Paul F Franklin
11-19-2013, 9:54 PM
I've only been to the Halifax location, but I mentioned to the salesperson that I was visiting from Cleveland and made a special point to visit the store, and she quickly arranged for a tour of the back of the store. Not all that much to see, given it was pretty much a neat, well organized warehouse, but it impressed me that they would make the effort and take the time. Just confirmed my overall opinion of LV... So let them know you made a special trip.

Rod Sheridan
11-19-2013, 10:11 PM
The Burlington and London locations would be the easist to get to from the 400 series highways. All stores are pretty similar.

Toronto east store is one block north of the 401 on Morningside which is an exchange on the 401...........Hard to beat

Alan Lightstone
11-19-2013, 10:34 PM
Can we get a tour from the Mayor? Could be entertaining. Not like he has anything else to do right now.

Howard Rosenberg
11-19-2013, 11:18 PM
The Burlington store is just off the QEW. It's nice store. Big too.

The downtown store doesn't feel very focused to me. Parking's a pain in Toronto. And the parking police move FAST.

The east end end store has the advantage of being just north of the 401. It's the second last exit before you're in the next city.

That leaves the west end store. My favourite. Well organized. Knowledgeable staff. Displays that make sense. I like it the best of all of them. Or can you guess that.

HTH.

Howard

Matt Meiser
11-19-2013, 11:22 PM
We'd probably stay by the airport so the east store is close. If we left in the evening to get a jump on the trip we'd probably stay around London so that's an option too. I was at the London store but 10 years ago. Barely remember it actually.

Chris Fournier
11-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Toronto east store is one block north of the 401 on Morningside which is an exchange on the 401...........Hard to beat

The OP is coming from Michigan and may return via Niagara Falls. Going to the far east of Toronto, well Scarborough really, seems pointless and in fact cruel given traffic in the GTA. Matt come to Waterloo and see us there. My shop is a block away, we have a Walmart, Target and Tim Hortons also a block away. Joke intended.

Truthfully if you come this way you need to check out A&M Wood Specialty in Cambridge which is 4 minutes from the highway - wood selection to die for. This would be the highlight of your trip.

Harvey Melvin Richards
11-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Don't bother with the one in Ogdensburg, NY, I tried that once many years ago. It's only a shipping location.

Matt Meiser
11-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Tim Hortons also a block away.

Isn't that true of pretty much any location in Canada?

Bill White
11-20-2013, 11:28 AM
Let's see.......If I were going to visit Lee Valley, I'd have to get a second mortgage.:D
Bill

Art Mulder
11-20-2013, 2:23 PM
Isn't that true of pretty much any location in Canada?

Yes. Yes it is.

Matt, while it is true that most of the stores are pretty similar, they do vary in size. I am not really familiar with the Toronto stores.
The London store is nice, but not the biggest. (Now Halifax, THAT was a big one. So was the Ottawa store, for some reason... :p)
But the bonus, in all the stores, is the "markdown" shelves. They always have a small section where returned, damaged, or discontinued stock is marked down. You never know what you'll find there.

Another thought is to check the Lee Valley Seminar (http://www.leevalley.com/us/home/seminars.aspx) list -- which varies completely by store. Maybe you can find a seminar that you'd like to attend on the weekend you visit. Some are all day, but some are just a few hours.

If you stop by the London store, you can head west from the store a mile or two and look for "Federated Too (http://federatedtool.com/)l" on the south side of the road. It's a pretty nice tool store. Dave Eisen is one of the sales guys there and is a SMC member, though not too active lately. Not sure you'd find any deals there compared to back home, but you might enjoy the browse.

If you want to spend the night in London, I suggest you check out the Best Western Lamplighter (http://www.lamplighterinn.ca/info) -- I've never been there myself, but I know that it has a huge glassed in atrium with indoor pool and one waterslide, which LOYLjr might appreciate.

In Toronto, your daughter would probably enjoy a visit to the Ontario Science Center (http://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/), Or the Toronto Zoo (be prepared for a lot of walking, it's huge.). I've also heard very good things about the Canadian Warplane Museum (http://www.warplane.com/) which is in Hamilton area. You probably already know all about what's at Niagara Falls. (The Great Wolf Lodge there is bigger than the one in Sandusky, just FYI.)

Have fun. Any other questions, just drop me a PM!
...art

Art Mulder
11-20-2013, 2:28 PM
Most items on display, you write the # of the item you want on a page / clipboard, hand that in at the counter and they fill your order from the stock room in back.

Even better. Step up to one of their computer kiosks, sign into your account, and pull up your LVT wishlist, move items to the cart, and print your form off...

Oh, and Matt I almost forgot.... CHECK THE STORE HOURS. Thursday and Friday are the ONLY days most(all?) LVT stores are open late, and they're all closed on Sundays.

Rod Sheridan
11-20-2013, 6:09 PM
Matt, Pearson Airport in Toronto is in the west of the city, a long way from the east LV store........Rod.

Matt Meiser
11-20-2013, 7:02 PM
What? East isn't always the direction closest to Lake Erie????

Rod Sheridan
11-20-2013, 10:10 PM
LOL, when are you going to be at the LV store?

Matt Meiser
11-20-2013, 10:34 PM
I was always messed up directionally when I was in London (UK) for a total of about 3-1/2 weeks back in 98/99 too. I thought it was the ocean, but must have been the lake. :D

Not real sure yet, but either sooner or later--probably not a good mid-winter trip.

Art Mulder
11-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Matt, Pearson Airport in Toronto is in the west of the city, a long way from the east LV store........Rod.
Well, maybe he meant the island airport. Then he can be right IN the lake... ;)

I was always messed up directionally when I was in London (UK) for a total of about 3-1/2 weeks back in 98/99 too. I thought it was the ocean, but must have been the lake.

My wife grew up north of Lake Ontario, whereas I grew up on the south shore... We had the same issues with directions and lakes!

As for timing... The 401/QEW are major roads and plowed and salted very quickly, so the trip could be totally fine as a mid-winter trip. Just watch the forecast. Niagara Falls can be gorgeous when seen in deep winter, with ice fog, snow, and huge expanses of ice.

Andrew Pitonyak
11-21-2013, 4:18 PM
Thinking about a trip to Toronto some time. We'd go by London on the way to Toronto, might come home via Niagara Falls. Which is the "best" location to visit, or are they all about the same?
Be sure to make it your last stop, or you might not have sufficient funds to complete your vacation, or sufficient space in your car to be comfortable :D

Matt Meiser
12-15-2013, 9:52 PM
West it was. We headed out Thursday late afternoon and sailed through the border crossing in Detroit (those going the opposite way weren't so lucky!) We were supposed to stay in London for the night but were so far ahead of our planned time we called Hilton and they were kind enough to switch our reservation to the Toronto airport location. Friday morning we got up and went to Lee Valley before heading downtown. Here's my haul. Set of Narex skew chisels, a sweet block plane, and a couple other goodies. Those short cords will come in handy for $1.40 each.

Today's drive home was um...fun...saw several very serious looking accidents between Toronto and maybe 1/2 way to London. Got better through London and Sarnia then down into Detroit it started getting dicey again. Got home to about 9" of snow and drifts to my knees.

Rod Sheridan
12-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Matt, glad to hear that you had a safe trip.

Did you manage to go to the distillery district while in Toronto?

Regards, Rod.

john davey
12-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Matt it looks like you were able to restrain from breaking the bank but still a nice haul :). I ordered those chords as well and they are great. I got 6 of them and just put one in each socket of a 6 prong power strip. Now all of my phone/ipad/camera charges fit on one power strip. This is not possible without these little guys or purchasing a more expensive power strip that makes room for the chargers. This was cheaper :)... John.

Matt Meiser
12-16-2013, 12:20 PM
Matt, glad to hear that you had a safe trip.

Did you manage to go to the distillery district while in Toronto?

Regards, Rod.

Yes we did, but Saturday morning after the snow started. It was COLD and we didn't last real long outside. For some reason most of the indoor shops were closed (maybe the weather?) but some were open.