PDA

View Full Version : Take a chance on Grizzly Jointer?

Cliff Polubinsky
11-19-2013, 3:09 PM
This 8" jointer is coming up for auction tomorrow.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/cpolubin/Grizzly_jointer_zps6e4027c4.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/cpolubin/media/Grizzly_jointer_zps6e4027c4.jpg.html)

I looked it over and there's no model number anywhere I can find. The auction house didn't have a 240v hook up so I couldn't see if it even runs. So it could be fine, or it could be the biggest boat anchor ever.

Would you make a bid under these conditions? And if so, how much.

Cliff

Richard Coers
11-19-2013, 3:59 PM
That could be an old machine. I had one around 1990. The dovetail gib on the infeed table wore into an hourglass shape. You had to tighten the gibs for the normal range of travel, but then it was too stiff to get to the end of the ranges. The cutter head was not parallel to the bed when I got it, so shimmed the one bearing up. I would not pay more than $100 with what little you know about it.

Bill Whig
11-19-2013, 6:39 PM
To me (who am I?), it looks like it has had a gentle life. If I had an easy way to move it, I probably wouldn't hesitate to pay $200. I "predict" it will go for a little bit more than that.

Bill

David C. Roseman
11-19-2013, 8:24 PM
Cliff, it's an early Model G1018, made in Taiwan and imported by Grizzly for many years, starting in 1983. There were some cosmetic changes later. This one looks almost identical to mine, which I bought around 1986-87. The motor is 1-1/2 hp single phase 220v.

It sold new then for $575. The lever system for adjustments was promoted back then as an improvement over handwheels, and I agree with that. This one looks from the photo like it's gently used, as Bill said. Grizzly has a manual and parts purchase list online, but it's hard to tell for sure which parts are no longer available. If the beds adjust smoothly on the dovetailed slides and gibs, that's a very good sign. They can also be adjusted to take up wear. Take a straight edge with you to the auction (a carpenter's square will do in a pinch) and check the fence for warpage and the beds for coplanar before you bid. Not being able to see and hear it run is the big issue here, IMO. If the motor is in good shape, I'd probably go as high as $400. It comes down to whether you're feeling lucky. :)

David

george newbury
11-19-2013, 8:58 PM
Equipment like that also comes down to location, location, location. If you have the means to transport it and you just have pay for fuel then I value that at $1/mile.

Since a NEW 8" goes for about $800 I think $300 is a little high for an auction price. $400 would be OK if you REALLY need an 8" jointer for a current project and can write it off on your taxes.

I just paid about $1000 for what's in the pic plus another tablesaw (all 3 phase). I REALLY wanted the planer. And that's an 8" Powermatic jointer 60. With extra new blades.

Stephen Cherry
11-19-2013, 9:12 PM
I agree, 200-300? I have seen delta dj-20's go for not too much more, so if it were me, I would pass and hold out for a delta. Or a powermatic, only if it has the racing stripe though.

Also, here is another, somewhat larger, jointer coming up for auction in the midwest, starting bid is 25 dollars

http://www.govliquidation.com/shared/auction/images/photos/55519/gl_large_thumb/55518994_gl_large_thumb.jpg

eugene thomas
11-19-2013, 9:28 PM
I sold my 1994 vintage grizzly 2 hp 8"jointer last year on cl for 400 and didn't take long. Was able to run for person though. As to buying without the test drive??????

Jim Andrew
11-19-2013, 10:36 PM
Pay attention to what the auctioneer says. He will say it will run, and guarantee it, or will say it did run once, but no guarantee.

tom gepfrich
11-19-2013, 11:01 PM
I would feel pretty confident about it working as advertised. It looks to be maintained exceptionally well. I see some advantage with it as it is Taiwain iron and not china wch is a plus to me. I purchased a very similar model on CL for $200 but spent 4 months searching. I would pay up to $400 total which would still leave byrd head money on the table VS buying new.

Wade Lippman
11-20-2013, 1:02 AM
Around here it would go at auction for more than it is worth. My guess is that it is worth $350 and will sell for about $500.
I've never been able to buy any sort of tool at an auction; somebody bids it up to darn near retail.

Matt Kestenbaum
11-20-2013, 9:45 AM
My Grizz jointer is now a boat anchor in search of a boat…actually i guess for the moment its a shop anchor. And so is the 2nd of the 3 motors that is has housed. I bought mine new. Didn't get my money's worth of jointing, but it delivered a nice long teaching moment which has lasted several years…first it taught me all about taking apart and putting back together machines, coplanar tables, bearings, ultimately the value of buying quality tools.

Bill Whig
11-20-2013, 10:28 AM
My Grizz jointer is now a boat anchor in search of a boat…actually i guess for the moment its a shop anchor. And so is the 2nd of the 3 motors that is has housed. I bought mine new. Didn't get my money's worth of jointing, but it delivered a nice long teaching moment which has lasted several years…first it taught me all about taking apart and putting back together machines, coplanar tables, bearings, ultimately the value of buying quality tools.

Do you think that a new Grizzly TS and Jointer in that category? Or would you search in a different direction?

Thanks,
Bill Whig

Jeff Duncan
11-20-2013, 10:32 AM
This 8" jointer is coming up for auction tomorrow.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/cpolubin/Grizzly_jointer_zps6e4027c4.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/cpolubin/media/Grizzly_jointer_zps6e4027c4.jpg.html)

So it could be fine, or it could be the biggest boat anchor ever.

Would you make a bid under these conditions? And if so, how much.

Cliff

I've seen boat anchors FAR bigger than that......imagine buying a large edgebander for thousands dollars and not being able to get it to work:eek: It's all about perspective;)

Having said that, small machines like that jointer usually go for more than I'd want to pay. It's the bigger industrial stuff that can sometimes offer great bargains! Does the head turn easily? Are the tables and fence flat and true? Does the infeed table adjust easily? It's pretty rare around here that you would get to plug in and check out an auction machine running. You have to assess what you can and make your best judgement call.

So my methodology would be to have a good idea what the average 8" jointer sells for in my area and decide how close to that number I'm willing to go based on my assessment of the machine. It would be silly to pay more than the average used price as you generally get to run a used machine and make sure it works before buying. At an auction your essentially gambling on machinery. Your making a educated, (hopefully), bet on the condition of the machine and what it may need to get up and running. For me the best thing about auctions is being able to buy a quality of machine I couldn't otherwise afford....therefore worth more risk. In this case it's an inexpensive Asian import to begin with, coupled with the unknowns, not what I'm looking for. Though the other side of the coin is that it's a desirable size machine more sought after than say a 16"? So it may get a lot more interested buyers? So it's tough to gauge what it's "worth", I'd say maybe half of what it would cost new would be as high as I'd go on something like that?

good luck,
JeffD

Matt Kestenbaum
11-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Bill I will respond in personal message…it wouldn't do to jack the thread.

Bill Whig
11-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Around here it would go at auction for more than it is worth. My guess is that it is worth $350 and will sell for about $500.
I've never been able to buy any sort of tool at an auction; somebody bids it up to darn near retail.

Having similar experience, I've noted that by the time you (and everyone else) show up for an auction to buy a particular piece of machinery, you've already invested at least several hours or a day perhaps--and maybe more if you've been searching for months. Everyone who makes an extra effort to be there, and doesn't buy, will incur such a cost. From that perspective, overpaying by $100 and walking away with a $100 worth of lost time both offer the same value. In fact, it may make economic sense to overpay by $150 or more just to get the tool and not have to play the same game again a month from then! YMwillV.

Bill Whig

Cliff Polubinsky
11-20-2013, 9:54 PM
Update.

The Grizzly went for $350, which was more than I wanted to chance that it might run. The auction made no warranties that aything worked.

But I didn't come away empty handed.
Picked up this for a bid of $425.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a313/cpolubin/16-32_zps7964f68a.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/cpolubin/media/16-32_zps7964f68a.jpg.html)

I was able to test this out ahead of time. No burning and I checked both edges of the board and they were the same thickness.
Been wanting one of these for a while.

Cliff

Matt Day
11-20-2013, 9:59 PM
Nice score! I've been looking for one of those. How did you find out about the auction you went to? I've never been to one but would like to go but don't know how to find them.

Cliff Polubinsky
11-20-2013, 10:08 PM
They had a listing on Craigslist in the tools section.

There were a bunch of other tools that went. A 15" Grizzly planer for around $450. What looked like a Sjoberg Elite 2500 for $1250. A Shop Fox 2HP dust collector for $125 and a massive Jet cabinet saw for $325.

Cliff

Wade Lippman
11-21-2013, 11:00 AM
I sold my 16-32 last year for $600, so you did okay.