PDA

View Full Version : Vehicles That Fit A Sheet Of Plywood???

Derek Arita
11-19-2013, 2:46 PM
I'm looking at various SUVs and wondering which ones will allow me to slide a sheet of plywood in the back? It doesn't have to slide all the way, as I can always tie down the hatch. I currently have a Nissan Xterra and can slide a sheet in, if the rear seats are down and the sheet is raised up about a foot off the rear deck. It has to be raised up to clear wheel wells. I've been looking at a Honda Pilot, 4Runner and another Xterra.
I know I can rent a truck/need, get a trailer or borrow a truck, but in lieu of that, who has experience with sheet goods in the rear of their SUV?

HANK METZ
11-19-2013, 3:09 PM
I have a Hyundai Elantra hatchback and the way I deal with sheet goods is to have the store do precuts for me and make my precision parts from the smaller, easier to handle pieces. Haven't had to worry about truckin' that stuff home for years now.:rolleyes:

Cliff Polubinsky
11-19-2013, 3:12 PM
I have a Ford Edge and a 2010 Escape can fit a sheet in to either diagonally.

Cliff

Derek Arita
11-19-2013, 3:21 PM
Thanks Cliff. I'm thinking I'd much rather slide it in flat so that it doesn't have to rest on the opening edges.

Jim Barstow
11-19-2013, 3:39 PM
An escape will hold a 4x8 sheet? Are you sure? I have a 2005 escape hybrid and there is no way a 4x8 sheet would fit, diagonally
or not. It barely fits 8' lumber since it extends from the back door all the way up to the dashboard.

There have been design changes between 2005 and 2010 but the vehicle hasn't gotten THAT much bigger.

Rick Moyer
11-19-2013, 3:42 PM
I'm betting you'll have to go big. The Chevy/GMC Suburban/Yukon will do it easily, as I would assume the Ford Excursion would also. I have loaded a lot of big stuff easily into the back of my Yukon XL, four feet between the sides and eight feet to the back of the front seats with the 2nd row folded and the rear seat out. A previously owned Suburban I had, I hauled 96 16' 5/4 cedar deck boards (It had a tailgate) in one load.

Kelly Colin Mark
11-19-2013, 3:46 PM
I have an 09 Acura MDX (in its year, similar to a Honda Pilot) and I'm quite certain a sheet of ply is not getting in that car unless the driver is short enough that the sheet can go over his or her head. Roof rack is the only way.

It's not even wide enough to put a shorter, 4' wide sheet in flat on the ground.

Derek Arita
11-19-2013, 3:47 PM
Again, let me stress that I don't need to able to close the hatch...just slide the sheets in flat and tie down the hatch. I Han Expedition that I could close the hatch with, but I don't want to go that large again for a few reasons.

John TenEyck
11-19-2013, 3:59 PM
Might I mention an alternative - a roof rack. I've carried plywood, lumber, drywall, all manner of things on the roof of my various cars over the years. I once had over 40 - 2x4's on top of my VW Scirocco. Six sheets of drywall on another car's roof rack, over 100 BF of lumber on another. The folks at HD or my local lumber yard help me load the stuff onto my car, and away I go, slowly of course, but I drive what I want and am not limited only to ones that can sort of carry a sheet of plywood. My current Subaru Outback is just about ideal for carrying sheets on the roof. Putting stuff inside a vehicle not really designed for it almost always results in scrapes or worse.

John

Kevin Groenke
11-19-2013, 4:00 PM
You might hold out for the upcoming Ford Transit Connect (http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transitconnect-commercial/2014/), of course the Mopar stow & go vans hold a full sheet - that's about it beside mini & full size vans and trucks.

Cliff Polubinsky
11-19-2013, 4:03 PM
An escape will hold a 4x8 sheet? Are you sure?

Cross my heart and hope to spit. The 2003 I had and the 2010 we have will both take it diagonally. It sticks out the back and you can't close the hatch, but it will fit in enough to get it home.

Cliff

Mike Nguyen
11-19-2013, 4:11 PM
Toyota Sequoia, Land Cruiser, and Ford Expedition will fit a whole sheet with few inches sticking out in the back in my personal experience.
Mike

Andrew Kertesz
11-19-2013, 4:13 PM
I bought an older truck just for the purpose of hauling... well pretty much anything. I got a deal on a '97 F150 w/8' bed and cap. Hauling is the only reason I bought it, I get a discounted rate on my insurance because it is considered a part time driver/recreational and I don't need full coverage because I paid cash.

Joe Scharle
11-19-2013, 4:18 PM
I have a Dodge Caravan that will hold 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood flat, with the hatch closed, after I fold the back seats into the floor. And that's quick & easy.
Two years ago we had a big snow and it was the only vehicle that could get up the hill.
Going past the sideways Pilot was fun.:D

Chris Friesen
11-19-2013, 4:41 PM
There are a number of vans that can take sheet goods flat on the floor. If it needs to be raised up it would be easy enough to make some spacers...or if this is a work vehicle then build a raised platform and put storage under it.

Personally I have a Toyota Matrix. With the back seats folded down it can handle quite a bit of cargo. It can take 9' lumber with the hatch closed. For sheet goods I generally precut it at the store and hang it out the open hatch window. If I really need a full sheet I use a flatbed utility trailer.

Jim Becker
11-19-2013, 5:45 PM
Again, let me stress that I don't need to able to close the hatch...just slide the sheets in flat and tie down the hatch.

Please keep in mind that having the hatch open could be a safety issue if exhaust is drawn into your vehicle by various air flows while the engine is running and you are moving along. A small utility trailer was what I chose for this purpose and that also insures that the interior of my vehicle doesn't get damaged by materials.

Paul Wunder
11-19-2013, 6:47 PM
Honda Odyssey (they advertise it). But, it is not an SUV.

Mike Cruz
11-19-2013, 6:59 PM
Chevy 3/4 ton pickup fits 5 adults, can carry lots of sheets of plywood, AND has the capability to carry "some" wood, or "some" mulch (that is 3,600 lbs of mulch BTW). :D

David Masters
11-19-2013, 7:47 PM
A Chevy Venture minivan is 2 inches too short to hold a sheet of plywood with the hatch closed. Maddening!

Derek Arita
11-19-2013, 7:58 PM
Chevy 3/4 ton pickup fits 5 adults, can carry lots of sheets of plywood, AND has the capability to carry "some" wood, or "some" mulch (that is 3,600 lbs of mulch BTW). :D

No room for a truck and no room for a trailer. Still looking...

Malcolm Schweizer
11-19-2013, 8:33 PM
275360I find it's not the vehicle, but rather the innovation of the driver! (Note: I live on an island with 25mph speed limits and only had to go 3 miles.) I had them cut the ply to 3' width. I had stopped by HD and remembered I needed some plywood. I got to the car and remembered I had driven the "Battle Bug." Not one to admit defeat, I improvised.

Lee Schierer
11-19-2013, 8:39 PM
I have a 2012 Honda Pilot and a sheet of plywood will just fit inside width wise laying flat, but it will hang out the back a bit.

Derek Arita
11-19-2013, 8:55 PM
I have a 2012 Honda Pilot and a sheet of plywood will just fit inside width wise laying flat, but it will hang out the back a bit.
Good to know! This is one of the cars I was looking at.

Larry Frank
11-19-2013, 9:06 PM
Another consideration is to get a trailer. I have a 5x8 with a ramp which will haul 2200#. It is great for plywood and everything else. A lot cheaper than buying a vehicle to hold plywood.

I do have a 2006 Grand Caravan which will hold a sheet laying flat.

Judson Green
11-19-2013, 9:33 PM
Two words... ROOF RACK.

Then you can carry _ANYTHING_

Super versital and easily stashed in the trunk until you need it. You could make it youself. I made one for a one time event this just some pink builders foam.

Jim Tobias
11-19-2013, 11:14 PM
This is the exact reason that I cannot/will not give up my old 98 GMC Suburban....until it dies a complete death.
I can lay 4 X 8 sheets in the back and not worry about scratching/screwing up our "good car" (Toyota).
Short trips (8 - 10 miles to Big Box stores. Occasionally (once every few months) a trip to Wall Lumber (45 miles one way), but it is cheaper than shipping.

Jim

Rick Potter
11-20-2013, 3:52 AM
Hey Malcolm,

Haven't seen a Baja Bug in ages.

Thanks,
Rick Potter

Ole Anderson
11-20-2013, 10:18 AM
That was one criteria when I replaced my GMC Safari minivan (along with AWD and good towing capacity, 3rd row seating and the ability to fit in my garage). Ended up with a GMC Acadia. Sheets lay flat, about a foot sticks out, easy to bungee the hatch closed. Interesting that the same corporate platform is used with the Buick Enclave and the Chevy Traverse, but those have a different rear hatch that is much narrower. I have hauled 8 sheets of 3/4" ply at a time. Wish they would have left another inch between the wheel wells, but it works.

Derek Arita
11-20-2013, 10:31 AM
That was one criteria when I replaced my GMC Safari minivan (along with AWD and good towing capacity, 3rd row seating and the ability to fit in my garage). Ended up with a GMC Acadia. Sheets lay flat, about a foot sticks out, easy to bungee the hatch closed. Interesting that the same corporate platform is used with the Buick Enclave and the Chevy Traverse, but those have a different rear hatch that is much narrower. I have hauled 8 sheets of 3/4" ply at a time. Wish they would have left another inch between the wheel wells, but it works.

Thanks Ole. I can see is on a very short list that will do what we want it to do. So far, the Honda Pilot, Nissan Xterra and the Acadia will handle sheet goods, laying flat, fit in the garage and not drink gas like it's free.
I know there are lots of options, but I have some pretty tight criteria. I need it to fit into my machine-filled garage, not guzzle gas and fit the sheets. I don't have the option of a second vehicle or a trailer, so those are out. As I said, I could rent a truck on demand, but I'd like to think, if I'm paying $20,000+ for a vehicle, I'd like it to do what I need it to do.

Wes Mitchell
11-20-2013, 11:49 AM
My 2012 Xterra will fit width wise, same as yours. If you're worried about gas mileage, the Pilot is probably a better bet. As you already know, the Xterra is a gas hog, but I believe the Pilot is available with the option for your cylinders to shut off to save gas. A coworker said he can get up to 30 in his new Pilot, I'm lucky to max out over 20.

David Weaver
11-20-2013, 12:05 PM
When the mrs and I got our last vehicle, I wanted to get a minivan to haul sheets. The mrs. didn't, and consequently, we spent more than $10,000 less than we would have on a minivan going downmarket to a scion XB.

I have gotten wood and sheet goods (that wouldn't fit in the scion), up to 200 miles away, about a half dozen times and probably spent a rental total of about $600 in five years. I've rented vans from enterprise and uhaul, depending on how far I've gone, and I'm not sorry I did. The difference in gas and insurance (due to the lower value of the vehicle) has more than paid those rental fees, and at this point, my wife now thinks we should have a bigger vehicle and I'm convinced we should stay with what we have.

Kevin Groenke
11-20-2013, 1:19 PM
I have a Honda Element for criteria very similar to yours (fits in sml garage, 4 passengers, not a mini-van, somewhat economical, no room for a trailer). While I did make a system to haul sheet stock on the side of the Element like a glass installer, I rarely use it anymore and just use the roof rack instead (probably weekly for something or another). I transported a queen sz mattress home up there last weekend, a bunch of 20' rebar a couple weeks ago, 14)2x6x16's last month : you're not going to fit any of that inside of anything short of a full sz van or box truck.

Any decent roof rack properly mounted on about any car can easily handle 6+ sheets of 3/4" stock. I've had up to 20 sheets of 1/2" osb on my Yakima rack without ill effect. (though such racks are "rated" for much less than what they'll hold)

David's comment about renting when necessary definitely has merit. How often are you going to buy 4x8 sheets? Does that frequency really merit buying a specific vehicle?

-kg

Lee Schierer
11-20-2013, 2:23 PM
My 2012 Xterra will fit width wise, same as yours. If you're worried about gas mileage, the Pilot is probably a better bet. As you already know, the Xterra is a gas hog, but I believe the Pilot is available with the option for your cylinders to shut off to save gas. A coworker said he can get up to 30 in his new Pilot, I'm lucky to max out over 20.

My pilot has the ECO cylinder management option and we've seen 25 mpg (actual). The computer is a bit optimistic when it calculates and displays the MPG. We check ours by recording the actual miles and gallons to fill up. Maybe if you drove somewhere at 45-50 mph on flat ground or down hill for 100 miles you would get 30 MPG, but most folks won't. The pilot is a great vehicle very stable and comfortable.

Stephen Cherry
11-20-2013, 3:55 PM

Looks a little shaky. Plus, check the air in the left rear tar.

Charlie Velasquez
11-21-2013, 5:25 AM
. . . . A small utility trailer was what I chose for this purpose and that also insures that the interior of my vehicle doesn't get damaged by materials.

+1
Mercury Sable, Hitch purchased and installed for $210. 5X9 trailer off CraigsList for $300. 2000# payload. Hauled dirt, mulch, lumber, sheet goods, brick , sod, old shingles... and new shingles, sofa and loveseat and recliner, queen size bed set, Sable interior is still clean. Gas mileage is 24-26mpg. Trailer and hitch paid for itself over a bigger truck with poorer MPG.
If space is an issue, HF and others have foldable trailers in the 900# category, I think.

Bryan Slimp
11-21-2013, 9:09 AM
+1 on the Outback. I don't know which year it started, but the 2013 has integrated roof rails and isn't too high, plus it's easy to open a door and climb up to get stuff on top.

You can safely get two or three on top depending on weight/thickness.

Ole Anderson
11-21-2013, 9:30 AM
As a woodworker who lives in snow country, open trailers or roof top carriers don't cut it. I need to be able to haul sheet goods in inclement weather and keep it dry. To do so I load the ply on 6'x12' painters drop cloth, and flip the excess up and over the last foot of ply hanging out before I drop the hatch. Plus my HOA doesn't allow outside storage of a trailer. If it did, I would probably have a 5'x10' one for all sorts of hauling, including my mower and including lumber in good weather.

Mark Patoka
11-21-2013, 9:36 AM
On the test drive, you're just gonna have to tell the salesman you need to stop at Lowe's or Home Depot for a minute and do a test fit.......

Wes Mitchell
11-21-2013, 9:48 AM
My pilot has the ECO cylinder management option and we've seen 25 mpg (actual). The computer is a bit optimistic when it calculates and displays the MPG. We check ours by recording the actual miles and gallons to fill up. Maybe if you drove somewhere at 45-50 mph on flat ground or down hill for 100 miles you would get 30 MPG, but most folks won't. The pilot is a great vehicle very stable and comfortable.

Beats the heck out of my 16mpg :)

Derek Arita
11-21-2013, 9:56 AM
Let me repeat...can't do a truck or trailer, hauling sheetgoods on rooftop is not optimal, nor is renting a vehicle on demand. Also, large SUVs are out because of space issues. So far, the Pilot, Acadia and 4Runner sound like good options.

David Hawkins
11-21-2013, 5:18 PM
all full size pick up trucks (8' bed) will accept 4'x 8' stock
Dodge Grand Caravan with all seats removed and seats pulled way forward, (don's try it if you are over about 5'10"!) I've used mine to haul plywood and sheetrock.

Judson Green
11-21-2013, 11:03 PM
On the test drive, you're just gonna have to tell the salesman you need to stop at Lowe's or Home Depot for a minute and do a test fit.......

I did that. No salesman with me though.

greg lindsey
11-22-2013, 1:29 AM
'06 Dodge Durango. I haul 4x8 sheets of acrylic and they fit perfectly. Great ride also.

Derek Arita
11-22-2013, 10:51 AM
'06 Dodge Durango. I haul 4x8 sheets of acrylic and they fit perfectly. Great ride also.

Thanks...didn't know that. I'll keep the Durango in mind as well.

Jim Becker
11-24-2013, 8:10 PM
Thanks...didn't know that. I'll keep the Durango in mind as well.

The current Durango isn't anything like those older ones...it's essentially the same vehicle as the Grand Cherokee Summit I drive...same assembly line and many of the same parts. (although it does offer a cramped third row seating option not available in the Jeep) It's not a good choice for hauling sheet goods for both width and length. (as previously mentioned, I use a small utility trailer for that, although I typically order plywood from the nice folks at Industry Plywood and have them deliver it :) )

Stephen Cherry
11-24-2013, 8:26 PM
And the answer is, rent a pickup truck from Home depot when you need to move plywood, and buy the cheapest, best mpg, car you can get that can haul your people.

The gas savings, and car payment savings will likely pay for more truck rentals that you would think.

Ole Anderson
11-25-2013, 8:50 AM
And the answer is, rent a pickup truck from Home depot when you need to move plywood, and buy the cheapest, best mpg, car you can get that can haul your people.

The gas savings, and car payment savings will likely pay for more truck rentals that you would think.You are absolutely correct in your economic analysis. But for many of us, a vehicle to haul sheet goods is another, albeit expensive, tool in our arsenal of shop/lifestyle equipment. Just as I wouldn't think of cutting plywood on my TS without dust collection on top, neither would I have a sheet good hauler that will not allow me to haul lumber and sheet goods in the rain and snow. The kind of weather you would rather be in the shop. Plus I am choosing a vehicle that can pull my 4 place snowmobile trailer down a snow covered two track to my buddy's cabin or haul my boat up north. And take 3 couples out on a color tour or to dinner. Try doing that in a Prius. Many of us with a large vehicle also have a 30 mpg grocery getter in the drive (or my case garage) that gets used for most of the day to day chores and commuting.

Derek Arita
11-25-2013, 10:23 AM

The gas savings, and car payment savings will likely pay for more truck rentals that you would think.

No...rent a pickup is not the answer. Let me say again, I don't want to have to rent a vehicle every time I need to pick something up of any large size or haul away anything of large size. This vehicle is not just for moving sheet goods, but anything of larger size, however I want it to able to move sheet goods when needed. For the last 4 years, I've been renting on demand and it's a pain, so I want the capability of hauling when I need to, without making special trips to and from the rental facility.
Space is also an issue, so I can't have a trailer, even a folding one, I can't have a junker pickup on the side, nor can I have a full sized pickup as a daily driver, because I want it to able to fit in my cramped garage. Naturally, MPG is a consideration as well, so that leaves the midsized SUVs to pick from.
So far, the Pilot, Durango and Xterra have been reported to be able to haul sheets, albeit with the hatch tied down, which is fine. Any others?

Ole Anderson
11-25-2013, 1:48 PM
Don't forget that you also had the GMC Acadia on your list, but around town I only get 16 mpg, so that may affect whether it stays on your list. Highway I get up to 22 mpg.

Derek Arita
11-25-2013, 6:37 PM
Don't forget that you also had the GMC Acadia on your list, but around town I only get 16 mpg, so that may affect whether it stays on your list. Highway I get up to 22 mpg.

That's right! It's on my list of cars to research.

Michael Kellough
11-30-2013, 12:00 PM
No...rent a pickup is not the answer. Let me say again, I don't want to have to rent a vehicle every time I need to pick something up of any large size or haul away anything of large size. This vehicle is not just for moving sheet goods, but anything of larger size, however I want it to able to move sheet goods when needed. For the last 4 years, I've been renting on demand and it's a pain, so I want the capability of hauling when I need to, without making special trips to and from the rental facility.
Space is also an issue, so I can't have a trailer, even a folding one, I can't have a junker pickup on the side, nor can I have a full sized pickup as a daily driver, because I want it to able to fit in my cramped garage. Naturally, MPG is a consideration as well, so that leaves the midsized SUVs to pick from.
So far, the Pilot, Durango and Xterra have been reported to be able to haul sheets, albeit with the hatch tied down, which is fine. Any others?

The obvious answer to this thread's title and most of your requirements listed above is, minivan.
Limiting your options to SUVs is, well, limiting.

Derek Arita
11-30-2013, 12:51 PM
The obvious answer to this thread's title and most of your requirements listed above is, minivan.
Limiting your options to SUVs is, well, limiting.

I'd def go with a minivan, but the wife says "No!" to minivans. And yeah, it is limiting, that's why I'm asking, in case there's more choices than what I already thought of.

Rick Potter
12-01-2013, 1:04 PM
That's interesting Derek. My wife is just the opposite, she says she will never have anything BUT a minivan. Just got back last night from a 1,000 mile tour of the central coast. 5 adults, 4 suitcases and several boxes of stuff. 20.5 MPG for the trip, and everyone gets a good seat. Seems like everyone in the family has borrowed it at one time or another. The handiest car we have ever owned (our second one).

The thing I like best about it is the sliding doors. When you park in the garage, kids can bail out without worrying about them opening the back doors up and hitting the wall, or other car.

Rick Potter

Brian Elfert
12-01-2013, 1:59 PM
I have a 2012 Grand Caravan and you can fit maybe two sheets of plywood at most. A single sheet of plywood fits with no room to spare. The seat bases on the front seats are angled such that more than one or two sheets of plywood won't fit as they are too long and the door won't close. I recently bought a 1.5" thick sheet of foam insulation and had to cram it in at an angle since it won't fit flat on the floor.

I think Chrysler may have moved the front seats back a bit for 2012 as I noticed the leg room was really tight in the 2011 model and the sales person mentioned more legroom for 2012. I really wish the interior space was an inch longer to accommodate sheet good better.

randall rosenthal
12-01-2013, 6:04 PM
i have always had a pick up but my current one... a toyota tacoma 4x 4 has a cap. very civilized , great on gas, and obviously will haul plywood no problem. you can get 2 or 4 door. just a thought.

Rick P Gauthier
12-01-2013, 6:21 PM
I have a 2011 Ford Expedition EL and 2008 F-350 both no problem. Since 1973 until recently we always owned vehicles which could fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Among them 1970 Ford F100, 1993 Grand Caravan, 2000 Honda Odyssey, 2009 Ford Expedition. Some were basic spare vehicles and others were daily drivers.

Have you considered a 5x8 stretched wire trailer? It might be a simple solution with a hitch if you are not going highway speeds or a long distance. They can be purchased used for $500 or so used and less than $1000 new. It is cheaper than $15- 20,000 vehicle or more. When it is not in use it can be stood on it's end out of sight with minor wood fixtures to put it on to prevent damage to the trailer.

Rick P Gauthier
12-01-2013, 6:25 PM
Cute! How much weight did the springs finally give out?