PDA

View Full Version : simple wood hollowing tool

byron constantine
11-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Anyone use this tool? It is rather light looking but it has a laser with it all for less than $200. Byron

Dale Gillaspy
11-18-2013, 11:03 PM
What tool are you talking about?

Kyle Iwamoto
11-18-2013, 11:48 PM
The one on e bay? Looks pretty light duty, IMO. Looks like a good deal, and should work though. Probably work well for 7 inches or less. The 7 inches is based on my personal hardship controlling any hand held tool after 6 inches or so. Ended up with a Monster rig for substantially more money. I've been watching that item..... Not that I need it, I'm just out some bucks. Not that I'm unhappy with the Monster. It works very well for deeper hollowing.

Pick it up and post a review!

John Keeton
11-19-2013, 6:08 AM
If it is the one from Harrison Specialties on Ebay, it does look interesting, but extremely light weight. The hollowing bars are 1/2", not 3/4" like on the Monster, and the entire design appears somewhat flimsy. Nonetheless, I suspect it would work OK for small forms of less than 4-5" in depth - I would not want to attempt 7" with it. Also, it lacks the versatility of the Monster as a result of not having an adjustable rotating cutter head and one is limited to using their cutters - not the HSS square stock that is used with the Monster. When I purchased my Monster, I bought several pieces of square HSS cutter stock from Enco ( little over $1 each as I recall), and have yet to use any where near all of it.

Richard Coers
11-19-2013, 4:09 PM
Cutters are way too large for the bar size for hollowing. I would not recommend it.

Peter Blair
11-20-2013, 9:36 AM
For similar money Dave at DWay tools has a nice unit. I use it when I want to do a quick hollowing of a smaller form.
Check out the videos on his web site.

John Keeton
11-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Make sure you read the review just posted here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?210322-Review-Light-Duty-Hollower).