PDA

View Full Version : Coreldraw and Laserworks for Chinese Lasers

Roger Lueck
11-18-2013, 3:48 PM
While there is a wealth of information that has been included in this community by some very knowledgeable contributors, sometimes it is difficult and time consuming to find the answer for which you are searching. Is there a "reference guide" that addresses the various CorelDraw commands/drawing conventions that influence/change the "output" when Laserworks is used with a Chinese laser?

Brian Robison
11-18-2013, 6:52 PM
I'm so fed up with Laser Cut software I have my brand new laser for sale.

Peter Meacham
11-18-2013, 8:29 PM
I don't blame you Brian, that Laser Cut software is pure junk.

George M. Perzel
11-20-2013, 7:58 AM
Roger;
Not quite sure what you mean but best way is to do design work in Corel and export to Laserworks as bitmap for engraving and AI file for cutting. Laserworks is not very good for drawing/designing but is a very flexible driver for Chinese lasers .

Zhiyue Sun
11-20-2013, 10:37 AM
I agree that the best way is to do design work in CorelDraw and export to lasercut software to engrave.

Roger Lueck
11-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Thank you for the responses. I use CD for design and Laserworks to drive the laser, just looking for some alternative input to what I do normally. I've discovered a significant number of "functions" in programs that were never documented in manuals and subsequently were "discovered by mistake" or by "word of mouth" from a programmer.

George M. Perzel
11-20-2013, 1:25 PM
Roger;
OK-how about expounding on the functions which you have discovered?
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Rodne Gold
11-20-2013, 3:54 PM
The biggie re Corel and laserworks is that laserworks does not recognise any line with width , so designs done that way do not come out well in laserworks ,
To give anything width , you have to draw or create a bounding box and fill it. It is not a what you see is what you get package. It is actually more correct to design the way laserworks wants stuff as it is then portable to vinyl cutters , CnC machines and other devices.
Minor inconvenience , my low level operators who are not design , cad or corel gurus manage to work both WYSIWG and laserworks machines , in fact they like the laserworks ones better...

matthew knott
11-20-2013, 4:31 PM
I much prefer Laser cut over using Corel with a print driver, i think its pretty good software once you get used to it, so i guess its down to personal preference, it similar to stuff ive used in the past and i took to it quickly but the lack of any training or manuals would be an issue if you didnt pick it up quickly.

Roger Lueck
04-13-2014, 4:03 PM
I apologize for the very late post but I had forgotten about this thread. Thank you again to everyone who responded to this thread.

In response to George's request to post my CorelDraw "finds", one of my most used finds is a "macro" from Alex Vakulenko at Oberon Place. This "macro" will fit objects to a path similar to the "Fit Text to Path" function in CorelDraw. I used it to create storage stands for drill bits (consistent hole spacings for different sized bits) and also for cribbage boards (spacing peg holes along paths created in various shapes).

There are several other "macros" that Alex has created also that save much time such as for creating puzzles, calendars and modifying curves. The unfortunate part is that they are only currently available through Corel X5until they are updated again.

Bill George
04-13-2014, 6:07 PM
You mean an Array? For anything that needs to be a exact dimension I use a CAD program for the designing and then Export or Save As a DXF file. Used the same method in a CNC plasma cutter and CNC router. I expect to do the same when I get my laser.

stan kern
04-16-2014, 12:50 AM
I just use laser cut as the post processor,I use aspire 4.0 for design and corel