PDA

View Full Version : Running an AcrylaThin plate on a 25W laser with success

Lynn Misanti
11-18-2013, 1:34 PM
We achieved success with our AcrylaThin order with a very simple solution that worked really well on the 25W however I could not get the same results on the 30W.

Running an AcrylaThin plate on a 25W laser with success:

1. Run the whole piece on the steel setting 2x:

Power = 80
Speed = 60
Pen Mode = Rast/Vect
PPI=500
DPI=500

2. Run the Logo alone on the steel setting:

Power = 80
Speed = 60
Pen Mode = Rast/Vect
PPI=500
DPI=500

DO NOT TOUCH THE ENGRAVED LETTERS OR IMAGES.
Smudging will occur and have an effect on the final product.

3. Spray the piece with Lazer Dark Clear Finish Coat(JDS #LDK200).
Let dry.
Repeat 2-3 times as needed.

Tested on:

Lasers:
NewHermes Incorporated Vanguard Laser 2001 - 25 watts - Success
Gravograph LS800 - 30 watts - Failed

JDS #LDK200 - ftp://jds.jdsindustries.com/LDK/LDK200.pdf

Dan Hintz
11-18-2013, 2:44 PM
What was the failure? Have you run test squares on both systems so you know the proper power/speed settings to run them at? If you're running both at the same settings, you're doing it wrong.

Lynn Misanti
11-18-2013, 3:38 PM
I have played around a bit but it is our busy time so I don't have enough time to play with speed and power to find the right fit for the 30W at this time. So, as of now, it is a fail but when things slow down I can play and see if I can get the same result with the 30W.

What was the failure? Have you run test squares on both systems so you know the proper power/speed settings to run them at? If you're running both at the same settings, you're doing it wrong.

Ross Moshinsky
11-18-2013, 4:18 PM
Most likely the LS800 is faster than the Vanguard. As a result, your getting more dwell when engraving which makes a huge difference when marking materials like this. Slowing down the LS800 will give you similar results.

Lynn Misanti
11-18-2013, 4:30 PM
I was reading about the lower the speed the more burn just now. The problem is the setting used here in the store were established by the previous owner. I came on board after the owner change and am the only one who any computer knowledge. I am trying to adjust the settings they have to optimize all the different materials. They were using the same settings on both machines.