PDA

View Full Version : cbn wheel

byron constantine
11-18-2013, 12:06 PM
I am considering getting the cbn wheel. I have a woodcraft slow speed grinder. will this grinder work with the cbn and what
grit wheel is best 80 or 180 Thanks, Byron

alex grams
11-18-2013, 12:15 PM
I have the same setup. You need the spindle adapter I believe to fit the shaft size, but it works great.

The 180 Is what I use, and it puts a very good cut on very quickly. It cuts as smooth as a 180 grit wheel like you would expect, but also removes at a rate more akin to an 80grit wheel.

Roger Chandler
11-18-2013, 12:16 PM
I have the 180 grit cbn wheel from D-Way. http://www.d-waytools.com/tools-diamond-grinding-wheels.html

It is plenty aggressive for most sharpening and the only time you would need a lower grit is if you were going to completely reshape a gouge and hog off so much metal as to completely change a profile. You can do that with the 180 grit as well, but would take longer.

I kept a 60 grit Norton 3x wheel on one side of my grinder for reshaping grinds..............the cbn is the cats meow! If you go with the D-way, you will get a wider wheel which is a real plus for the side grinds on bowl gouges..........just ask Dave for the correct bushing to go with your grinder.......he is a stand up guy and gave me superb customer service!

Ralph Lindberg
11-18-2013, 12:26 PM
I agree 180 grit

Chip Sutherland
11-18-2013, 1:32 PM
I have the 60/120 grit wheels & slow-speed grinder setup from Woodcraft, too. I bought a 180 grit radiused edge CBN wheel at SWAT this year with the adapter. I took off the 60 grit wheel and replaced it with the 120 wheel and mounted the CBN where the 120 grit was. I did have to take off the safety shield around the CBN wheel as it was in the way. I think I also but a washer between the motor housing and the CBN wheel, too. I rarely have a need to re-profile a tool these days so the 120 grit will get that duty from now on. I have had no problems with it. It runs true...more truer than the original wheels.

Mike Cruz
11-18-2013, 1:45 PM
I have two of the 180s from Dave. PLENTY aggressive enough...

David C. Roseman
11-18-2013, 8:03 PM
Byron, ditto on the 180 grit D-Way CBN, to start. You can add the 80 later, if you feel you need it for major reshaping, but in the meantime your 60 or 120 grit aluminum oxide wheels can do that on the other side of the grinder. Since you have the Woodcraft slow speed grinder, you'll need a machined bushing from Dave Schweitzer at D-Way to adapt the CBN wheel. But Dave has two different bushings for it, depending on the actual length of the arbor, and that in turn depends on when your Woodcraft grinder was manufactured. The later version (before Woodcraft stopped selling them altogether) had slightly shorter arbors, and requires a counterbored bushing that overlaps the unthreaded shoulder slightly. That allows enough exposed thread on the other side of the wheel to fully receive the nut. No big deal; Dave can send you the right bushing once you determine your arbor length. Suggest you call him directly for this, rather than trying to order on the website.

If you haven't sharpened a gouge on a CBN wheel yet, prepare to be impressed!

David

John King
11-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Ditto D-Way Tools 180 grit CBN. - John

Reed Gray
11-19-2013, 1:23 AM
D Way for the 1 1/2 inch wide wheels. I do use both 80 and 180 grit wheels. Generally, I sharpen my bottom feeders and scrapers on the 80 grit, and gouges on the 180, though I some times sharpen the scrapers and bottom feeders on the 180. The wheels cut really fast when new, and do soften up as they age. I don't thing mine have changed in more than a year or so.

robo hippy