PDA

View Full Version : drawer locking mechanism needed

al ladd
11-18-2013, 8:51 AM
I'm wanting to make a version of my wall-hung jewelry cabinet similar to this one http://www.alladd.com/jewelry-cabinets/tree-cabinet/index.html (without the fancy inlay ) that will lock. The doors will lock with a library catch and conventional keyed cabinet door lock. I'd like to have a simple "pushbutton" type mechanism for locking the drawer from above the stile between it and the doors, accessible when the door is open. The mechanism can't rise above the top of the stile so it won't interfere with the doors.Anyone know of an elegant solution, ready-made or shop built, for this? I have a CNC router, so can make complex mechanisms with accuracy. I have a couple ideas, but neither is really perfect.... My thought had been to somehow adapt a spring-loaded touch latch, but I can't figure out a way to do it.Thanks!

Dave Richards
11-18-2013, 9:20 AM
How about a Krenov-style latch? How thick is the stile? How thick is the drawer front?

The one in the photo is quite nice.

Sam Murdoch
11-18-2013, 10:08 AM
You might consider a simple T-shape with the long end piercing the rail and drawer front while the T handle rests in a mortise in the top of the rail. Simple to retract when the door is opened and hardly any work to install while providing a very secure lock. Maybe modify an old T wrench.

Jamie Buxton
11-18-2013, 10:54 AM
I like Sam's idea -- simple, elegant, and intuitive.

Another possibility is to lock the drawer from the bottom of the cabinet. For instance, you could slide a bolt sideways to push a bell arm up to lock the drawer. There's lots of space there to work with.

My experience with commercial touch-latches is bad. The things are cheap, and entirely inappropriate for the high quality of your cabinets. They also break too often.

Jamie Buxton
11-18-2013, 10:57 AM
If you're using a key lock for the door, why not use a similar mechanism for the drawer? You could use the same key, or even use a different key.

al ladd
11-18-2013, 6:42 PM
I liked Sam's idea a lot. I made a key with an ebony 1/4" square stick and 3/32 brass rod. I'll post a photo when it's all together. Thanks to all who answered --it's great to have a bunch of knowledgeable interested people to get suggestions when I hit the wall.....

Sam Murdoch
11-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Thanks, I liked the idea too and you went on to add the finesse :). Your work is beautiful and the simplicity of such a "lock" I think will be welcomed by the owner of your "jewel" of a cabinet.