PDA

View Full Version : Laguna bandsaw power switch & alignment

Scott Mark
11-18-2013, 1:35 AM
Greetings,

I have a 06 Laguna band saw that took a dive. Don't let your friends build mobile platforms for you. For a variety of reasons, the band saw being the major one, I haven't touched most of my woodworking machines since then.

When it tipped it smashed (smashed is overstating it a bit) the electric switch. I think I'm going to have to take it to someone who knows how to realign the wheels or tell me it's a lost cause.

The switch is from Europe. With my limited electrical knowledge it seems to be overkill on the configuration options.

The text on the electrical switch is:

5100022070500307 2F05334307 M7

LE1M35 IP65-5

EN 60 947
EN 60 430
VDE 0??0 (0660)

IEC 947
IEC 439

I've also thrown in images of my jointer and planer.

The rust removal is daunting but it could be worse, I think. The planer worries me more. Right now I'd like to get the switch fixed so I can take the bandsaw in to be serviced. Which electrical switches on the market would work? (I won't be wiring the switch myself)

Any suggestions on the jointer other than a brass brush would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

C. S. Mark

Sam Puhalovich
11-18-2013, 8:09 AM
Scott: there's no 'electrical knowledge' required to replace a switch.
Just a patient methodical, mechanical procedure.
Your best bet for = swap is to go to Laguna ... that way your sure to get a wire-for-wire swap and mounting.
You already have pictures, however, I recommend that you make a sketch(s) and mark the wires as you take the old one off.
Then, re-assemble in the same order.

If you suspect that the wheels are out-of-line ... not co-planar ... there are several old threads that cover that in excellent detail.
Just do a search.

Regarding the rust on the jointer: a scotchbrite pad and paint thinner (mineral spirits) will handle that very well. If you can shield yourself from the 'spray' ... a ROS will speed-up the chore.
Just keep an even, light, grip ... let the sander do the work ... and keep moving at an even rate.

Regarding the planar rust: I would remove the shaft. I would clean it off using a full sheet of of 600 (or finer) wet-dry paper.
Lightly clamp one end in a vise between two blocks of wood. Apply the mineral spirits ... drape (hold down) the paper over the shaft, so that you present the paper to at least 180* of the diameter ... lightly scrub away.
Rotate the shaft about 1/4 turn and repeat the process. Continue till you have the whole shaft clean.

Curtis Horswill
11-18-2013, 9:16 AM
I actually needed the same switch a few week ago. I called Laguna and they quoted me about $300 for it. I ended up using this magnetic contactor from Grizzly. http://www.grizzly.com/products/G4572m Grizzly. I needed to drill different holes to mount it, but wiring was simple and it works great. Here is a picture of mine with the Grizzly switch installed. 275266