PDA

View Full Version : Bosch miter saws (or alternatives!!): gcm12sd vs cm10gd

Jim Barstow
11-18-2013, 1:12 AM
Anyone have any info on these saws? They are about the same price and seem to have the same specs other than the 10/12" size difference

Sam Puhalovich
11-18-2013, 8:24 AM
Jim; I was 'urgent to replace my DeWalt 12" slider with the 12" Bosch 'glider'.
I sold the DeWalt and bought Bosch (#1). In the set-up ... I found that the rotating 'table' was at an angle to the 'solid' sides.
Since there was no repair for that condition: returned it and got #2.
In the set-up: when I had the saw aligned to cut perpendicular in the 'glide' mode ... it would cut a taper (angle) in the 'chop' mode.
To make that clear: when brought straight down ... it cut an angle.
Since there was no repair for that condition: returned it and got #3.
Number 3 came with the same 'fault' as #2.
Since there was no repair for that condition: returned it and bought a 12" Makita chop saw that has a 8.5" crosscut.

Jim Barstow
11-18-2013, 10:46 AM
I have 2 must have criteria and one really-nice-to-have:

1) greater horizontal capacity. 8.5" is not enough. I'm tired of flipping boards or finishing cuts with a hand saw
2) smallest bench depth requirement

3) furniture quality accuracy (not absolutely required). I use the saw 99% of the time for rough cuts

any alternatives that fit these criteria?

Jim; I was 'urgent to replace my DeWalt 12" slider with the 12" Bosch 'glider'.
I sold the DeWalt and bought Bosch (#1). In the set-up ... I found that the rotating 'table' was at an angle to the 'solid' sides.
Since there was no repair for that condition: returned it and got #2.
In the set-up: when I had the saw aligned to cut perpendicular in the 'glide' mode ... it would cut a taper (angle) in the 'chop' mode.
To make that clear: when brought straight down ... it cut an angle.
Since there was no repair for that condition: returned it and got #3.
Number 3 came with the same 'fault' as #2.
Since there was no repair for that condition: returned it and bought a 12" Makita chop saw that has a 8.5" crosscut.

Steve Peterson
11-18-2013, 12:15 PM
The 12" version was around $750-800 at most places when I was looking a year ago and is commonly found today for around $700. The 10" version is brand new, but I suspect it will be around $600 within a few months.

I have the 12" version sitting on a 33" deep bench and the front adjustment knob is flush with the front of the bench. It sits an inch or two away from the back wall to provide extra clearance for angled cuts. A bevel angle would take a few more inches, but I rarely cut them and if I do, I slide the saw forward slightly. The 10" version could probably sit on a 30" bench.

I might have bought the 10" if it was available a year ago, but now am happy to have the 12". Just yesterday I was cutting an 8" wide 8/4piece of walnut and was able to bring the blade all the way to the front to push it into the cut. This feels a lot safer than pulling the saw into the wood.

Steve

John TenEyck
11-18-2013, 1:00 PM
Other than your small bench depth criteria, you would be better served with a RAS. A good used Dewalt, or similar can often be had for $300 - $500. Greater capacity, greater capabilities, and equal accuracy. Hard to beat.

John

C Scott McDonald
11-18-2013, 9:55 PM
Give the Makita a solid look too. I have the 10" version and that thing has been one of the best tool purchases I have had.

Charles Wiggins
11-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Anyone have any info on these saws? They are about the same price and seem to have the same specs other than the 10/12" size difference

I have the 12". Love it. What particularly did you want to know?

Jim Barstow
11-19-2013, 2:38 PM
I've seen complaints about the accuracy of the 12" which surprises me since Bosch has a reputation for quality. Their website also has almost no information on
the difference between the saws other than the blade diameter. I would think if they differed only in size, their model numbers would be similar but
they're not.

Jim Andrew
11-19-2013, 10:42 PM
I have the Makita slider, 10". It will crosscut about 12" and cuts accurate miters, and good square cuts. I've had several chop saws in the past, and like the Makita best. That said, Menards has been having the Hitachi on sale for 399. It was the first sliding miter that I had ever seen, probably around 30 years ago.

Randy Rizzo
11-19-2013, 11:19 PM
My brother has a Bosch 12" SCMS. 5412L I think. Has had no end of trouble. Been back to the Bosch service center in Addison more than once. Last time it came back it was cutting worse than ever. Was cutting about 88 degrees when set to straight crosscut. We finally got it to cut straight, but the 45 degree stops are off, no adjustment. The blade wobbles, tightening the lock knob drives the saw out of alignment. It's not the quality I'd expect out of Bosch. There's plenty of info on this particular model, just do a search.

Chris Parks
11-20-2013, 12:02 AM
No problems with my 12". For limited depth of bench it is the only answer. The only issue I have with it is poor dust control and it is damned heavy.

Jim Barstow
11-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Which model of makita? The ls1016?

Give the Makita a solid look too. I have the 10" version and that thing has been one of the best tool purchases I have had.

Gordon Eyre
11-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Love my Bosch 10" SCMS and use it often. Cuts are accurate and it is easy to set up. The dust collection is not good but what miter saw is?