PDA

View Full Version : 3D Engraving into Wood

Darrin Davis
11-17-2013, 8:51 PM
I'm interested in learning how to create 3d gray-scale image like below to engrave onto wood. Does anyone know if there are any good videos on learning how to do this? If I had to guess how it was done I would say that the gray-scale image is several different vector pieces set to different shades of gray and that that the interactive contour tool in coreldraw is used on each piece accordingly. Am I anywhere close? Thanks for any input.

Glen Monaghan
11-17-2013, 9:32 PM
Almost certainly CorelDraw was NOT used to create this... wrong tool for the job. Create your 3D scene using scanner, photo-to-3D software (such as Autodesk 123D Catch, 3dsom pro, photofly...), or a 3D modeling program. Then set up the view you want to create and convert the surface depth to brightness (so that the highest/closest parts of the surface are brightest and the lowest/farthest parts are darkest). Save as a 2D image, and engrave it using a laser system that is capable of "3D engraving", which is to say it can change beam power on a pixel-by-pixel basis according to the brightness of the image at each point/pixel with blackest pixels producing the greatest power and whitest pixels producing the least power. Ideally, the mapping of depth to brightness should take into account the nonlinearities of laser power on the substrate you will be engraving.

Dan Hintz
11-18-2013, 7:15 AM
the gray-scale image is several different vector pieces set to different shades of gray and that that the interactive contour tool in coreldraw is used on each piece accordingly.

This is the rough idea if you're using CorelDraw, yes... I have done a few pieces over the last few years, but in and of itself the drawing is not a moneymaker. You can sink a LOT of time into even a relatively simple drawing, so I would only use it as an accent to a larger piece rather than the piece itself if you want to have any hope of turning a profit.

Jeff Woodcock
11-18-2013, 8:02 AM
There is a free download program called Blender that is capable of generating these type of greyscale images. There are Bas-relief downloads available on different web sites. These type of depth map greyscale images are used in rotary engravings too. Do a search on the net.

Michael Kowalczyk
11-18-2013, 5:31 PM
The actual program that created that 3D image and file is a proprietary app that KERN only sells to it's customer's that have a KERN laser. I have asked them. To make a 3D product that is sellable/profitable you will need a high speed high powered laser to do it. Neat novelty item but I wouldn't try to use that as a primary, secondary product line to put food on the table. Just MHO. ;)

Darrin Davis
11-18-2013, 6:15 PM
Our laser engraver is used in a high school classroom setting so making money is not the issue. I'm just trying to show the students all the different ways to use the machine.

Robert Walters
11-18-2013, 7:21 PM
I'm just trying to show the students all the different ways to use the machine.

What have you come up with so far?
Maybe others here can help fill-in-the-blanks.

phil harold
11-19-2013, 12:38 PM
I'm interested in learning how to create 3d gray-scale image like below to engrave onto wood. Does anyone know if there are any good videos on learning how to do this? If I had to guess how it was done I would say that the gray-scale image is several different vector pieces set to different shades of gray and that that the interactive contour tool in coreldraw is used on each piece accordingly. Am I anywhere close? Thanks for any input.
Not to change the subject but what kind of machine would you use to engrave this
I am looking for a new toy and this looks like a fun type of project for me

Paul Phillips
11-19-2013, 3:30 PM
Phil, that is a sample from Kern lasers, they specialize in large format, high wattage lasers, they usually do these samples with 200+ watt co2 lasers, about $50k+ to start, up to $100k+ for the 400+ watt 4'x8' tables, fun toys but out of my price range! As others have said, it is very time consuming to try to create the files yourself. Check out Gantryco dot com for pre-made 3d files and kernlasers dot com for the big lasers.

Mark Ross
11-19-2013, 7:55 PM
Did a 3D laser engraving on an Epilog 36EXT. 3D is do-able on most lasers but takes way too long to make it profitable. You might want to look at some videos floating around you tube on how to cut acrylic so it "melts" and becomes 3D parts.

phil harold
11-20-2013, 1:24 AM
I would be happly with a max size of 11x14 for right now
would it have to be a laser?

A cnc router be able to do that?

Dan Hintz
11-20-2013, 6:11 AM
I would be happly with a max size of 11x14 for right now
would it have to be a laser?

A cnc router be able to do that?

A CNC would generally be much faster, but a laser would allow for much more detailed work. Pick your poison.