PDA

View Full Version : Raptor set up tool

byron constantine
11-17-2013, 4:46 PM
Has anyone used this tool and if so is it any good?

Jon Nuckles
11-17-2013, 5:23 PM
I bought them in several angles when I was just getting started. I haven't really used them. It is easy to match an existing grind by eye using the vari-grind. Now that I use a CBN wheel and the diameter doesn't change, they are completely unnecessary. Just my experience, and I didn't really play with them much before setting them aside.

Thom Sturgill
11-17-2013, 7:25 PM
I used them extensively before i got a CBN wheel. Since a CBN wheel does not change radius like my white wheel did, I just marked the shaft of the wolverine tool to match the various angles. The Raptor gauges let you duplicate the settings without the inevitable 'drift' from eye-balling the old grind. This helps you develop muscle memory for a particular gouge IMHO.

That said, a plywood gauge can do the same thing for the vari-grind but not for setting the platform angle. The raptor sets the platform to a given angle to a tangent to the wheel. Not the same angle you would get if you used say a wixley on the platform, since that would be relative to horizontal not the wheel face. Again that tangent is going to change as the wheel diameter changes, and my wheel went from 8" to less than 6" before I got my CBN wheel.

Tim Leiter
11-17-2013, 8:37 PM
I have the full set of raptor set up tools and I like them. I just went through most of my chisels and set the vari-grind up using the raptors. Very useful tools as far as I am concerned. I find it easier to set up my wolverine grinding jigs to match the angles I want with the raptors. I use them to set up my platform angles too. JMO..................Tim.

Jon Nuckles
11-18-2013, 11:30 AM
I have close to a full set and don't use mine, though I might try them to set the platform after reading Thom's post.

Jon

Dave Mueller
11-18-2013, 3:22 PM
Byron,
I liked the idea of a quick setup and less grinding on my tools, however, the Raptor didn't let me set up the way I grind, so I made my own. This link http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?200824-Wolverine-new-idea&p=2083792&highlight=#post2083792 to an old thread describes more. I have one of these for each tool and can set up and sharpen in less than a minute using them. Just make sure your tool exposure and angle on the Wolverine stay the same for each grind.
Dave