PDA

View Full Version : Miter saw options...

Mike Cruz
11-17-2013, 12:46 PM
I've been using a Dewalt miter saw for the past 12 years or so. It has been a very good saw. I really don't have any complaints about it (other than the one I have jumps a bit...think hard start...when started), but I'm thinking of replacing it. At my last job, we had both the same model 12" Dewalt miter saw AND the 12" Dewalt Compound Sliding Miter saw. In all honesty, I didn't like how the sliding saw felt. Not sure if it is the mechanics, feel of the cut, or what. The quality of cut was ok on the slider, but I still seemed to just prefer the regular miter saw.

Also, I do tend to use the saw for everything from detailed woodworking (where I do need precision) to more "framing" type stuff around our horse farm. The saw usually presides in my shop, but does occasionally need to be brought "to the site" elsewhere on the property (barn, etc) for odd jobs (like last week when I built hay loft doors and replaced some trim on the barn). So, while the new one would pretty much stay in the shop at the miter saw station, it does need to be mobile (carried out) from time to time.

So, my question is:

A) Is the new version of the saw I have any different/better/etc than the one I have? I don't particularly care about lasers...

B) What other brands should I be considering? I'm not looking to downgrade, so I'll likely be staying away from Homeowner brands like Ryobi.

C) The saw I have was $300 when I bought it. Looks like the new model of the same thing is still $300.

D) I know I want 12". Don't want sliding head. Like the idea of double miter, but not absolutely necessary.

E) Possibilities include but not limited by:

DEWALT 15-Amp 12 in. Double-Bevel Compound Miter Saw
Milwaukee 12 in. Dual Bevel Miter Saw
Bosch 12 in. Dual Bevel Miter Saw (If they make it in a non-glide/slide version)

Now, I'm not opposed to buying used, as long as it hasn't been abused. Unfortunately, this is one of those tools that is often owned by contractors and often not all that well taken care of, so used can be iffy...depending on the source.

Also, I don't really have $600-800 to throw at this. So, if I'm looking at one of the models in that price range, I know I'll have to look for used. But the purpose here is to get opinions on what people think the best miter saws are.

Thanks for all your help.

PS, yes, I know I'm not the first person to ask this question, but a year old thread about this doesn't apply as new models come out, reviews after another year of use may vary, and new members here can now chime in that did not before...

tony liberati
11-17-2013, 1:47 PM
I have a Dewalt 12" single compound. It is relatively light and the cuts are on the money. The only thing I did not like was the Dewalt blade for finish work.I also have a Festool Kapex for other Reasons. One being adjustable RPM for Alum.and Plexi.Now that saw is nice but over priced. The Dewalt is worth every penny and more.I do not like the slide on the Dewalt and just to let you know I have only tried it in the store and that is not fair to the saw because it was on display and got banged around pretty good Go to home Depot If you do not like,take it back

Mike Cruz
11-17-2013, 2:30 PM
Tony, welcome to the Creek! I suppose this is one way to jump in.

Tony, you and I have the same model of Dewalt... I believe it is the 705.

Yeah, Festool is WAY out of my price range, unless I found some sort of gloat/steal on a used one...

Like I said, I've actually used the Dewalt slider, and didn't really appreciate that. Now, I'm not sure if means I don't like "the Dewalt slider" or I don't like "sliders". But that is what it is...

Another challenge I have with having a slider is that I'm limited on my front to back space. I think the Bosch slider is 40" deep. I've got low 30's at best. Granted, I can just keep it stored in the sideways orientation, but that is a bit more of a pain...especially, if that isn't really what I want to begin with.

Thanks for you input.

James M Ireland
11-17-2013, 3:28 PM
Tony,

I've used Dewalt, Ridgid, Makita and Bosch, all are great saws. I personally didn't feel at home with the Ridgid although the large table is nice. I currently have a Bosch in my shop and I agree I don't like the feel of the slider as much but I don't have a radial arm (or room for it) so I compromised for the extra cutting capacity.

In addition to the Dewalt I would definitely check out the Makita and Bosch. If the non sliding Bosch has the upfront controls it would be my choice.

Jerry Thompson
11-17-2013, 4:02 PM
I have had a DeWalt 12'' SCMS for since they first came out. I got it cheap as it was sold as "Reconditioned." If I cut 45d on it they are damn close unless I take time and readjust it after I has not been used for awhile. No matter I still fine tune any critical 45d & 90d cuts on a shooting board. Shooting board is an essential tool for me.

Mike Wilkins
11-17-2013, 8:44 PM
The recent issue of FineWoodworking magazine had an article on using miter saws in the wood shop, written by Marc Adams, same guy who runs the woodworking school. He recommended not getting a sliding compound saw; don't remember the reason. He states a 12" miter saw will perform well for most operations and is best for smooth cuts. The issue is still on most newstands (Barnes and Noble type places) so you should be able to fine one.

Larry Whitlow
11-17-2013, 11:12 PM
You got me scratching my head here. Why replace the existing saw that you say works well with the same thing?

Mike Cruz
11-17-2013, 11:27 PM
Larry, I want to upgrade. That is what I want to do. I bought my existing saw for $300 probably about 14 years ago. Does the old one still work? Yes. Does it run as smoothly as a new one? No. It has a bit of a kick when started, which sometimes moves the wood just a tad if you aren't holding it tightly. It has been a good saw. A new one is still $300. So, I would consider getting a new one to replace it. BUT, I'd like to upgrade (double bevel maybe, smoother motor, more solid maybe, maybe the new model has a laser or other kinks worked out, or more powerful motor...just some suggestions off hand). So, I'm looking for opinions on the upgraded models to see what people think of theirs.

Oddly enough, it seems most of the people answering have the same Dewalt 705 that I have now...

Steve Peterson
11-18-2013, 12:25 AM
Mike, I know you said you don't want to spend $600-800, but the Bosch dual bevel glide is an incredible saw. Unfortunately, it is around $800. I bought it to fit on a 33" deep workbench along a wall. A slider would not have enough clearance. The glide mechanism is perfect for me since it allows a 14" cutting capacity without sticking into the walkway. There appears to be a recently introduced 10" version for about $700.

I doubt that you will be able to upgrade your saw for the same $300 that you spent 12 years ago. Cost cutting and offshore manufacturing are keeping the current price low, but the same quality is not going to be there.

Steve

Stephen Cherry
11-18-2013, 12:30 AM
Oddly enough, it seems most of the people answering have the same Dewalt 705 that I have now...

I think that I have one of those also. It's always worked OK for me, but I have never enjoyed using it. My guess is that it's made to accelerate the blade as fast as possible, so it's a little jumpy. What your really need is a 14' fiberglass step ladder, and 28' fiberglass ladder combo.

tony liberati
11-18-2013, 4:53 AM
Larry, I want to upgrade. That is what I want to do. I bought my existing saw for $300 probably about 14 years ago. Does the old one still work? Yes. Does it run as smoothly as a new one? No. It has a bit of a kick when started, which sometimes moves the wood just a tad if you aren't holding it tightly. It has been a good saw. A new one is still $300. So, I would consider getting a new one to replace it. BUT, I'd like to upgrade (double bevel maybe, smoother motor, more solid maybe, maybe the new model has a laser or other kinks worked out, or more powerful motor...just some suggestions off hand). So, I'm looking for opinions on the upgraded models to see what people think of theirs.

Mike a few thing's I forgot to mention after reading your recent post. I have the Dewalt 718 It is not Laser capatable. That was a big gripe about it on Amazon Reviews. And when you pull that trigger it still kicks like a mule.When I switch from the Kapex's soft start to the Dewalt I get a Rude awakening,I have to remember to leave it up when I pull The trigger.The Kapex is a really good saw. Little things Like soft start , Zero clearance to the rear Dual Lasers, and and I think it only weighs 42* For a slider it is light If you do a lot of compound Miters I think it is the only way to go with its Micro Adjustments.I think it should sell for around a 1000.00 not 1400.00

Harvey Miller
11-18-2013, 8:29 AM
Here’s a comparison of 12” non-sliders. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXlB-2Jk4xA
Points wise, (yes, I tabulated them) the Dewalt and Milwaukee tied for first, Makita LS1221 was second and Hitachi was third. I think the Milwaukee is the only one with a soft start, and has best dust collection, but it’s as expensive as their slider (at least here in Canada). I went with the Hitachi based on price and am very happy with it (but I'd be happy with any of the top three).

Mike Cruz
11-18-2013, 9:21 AM
Steve, that might just happen...!

Mike Cruz
11-18-2013, 9:30 AM
Thanks for all the opinions, guys. I appreciate the views.

As it so happened, I perused CL and found (I know, I know...not what I wanted, but a great deal) a Bosch 5312 SCMS. These retail for just about $600. The seller got one "free" with purchase of "something" (can't remember what). So, he was selling a brand new (still in a sealed box) Bosch 5312 for $425. I asked him his lowest price, and he said $375. I bit. Picked it up last night. Worst case scenario (other than it doesn't work) is that I'll sell it as used for what I paid for it... A friend of mine (and fellow Creeker) has the 10" version and loves it.

What would have been great would have been the articulating arm version, but those are out of my price range...unless someone was selling a used one.

Harvey, thanks for that link. That is very helpful. For now, I'll see how this Bosch works for me. If I don't like it, I'll sell it and go back to looking for either the Dewalt or Milwaukee 6950-20.

Doug Herzberg
11-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Mike, I see this is too late, but I was following this thread because I'm also in the market. My first three miter saws, all low end (one Delta - no parts, two Ryobis- cheap and filled a need, but, as you said, homeowner saws), have disappointed me. I searched your 705 on Amazon and was advised it has been replaced by a newer model, the 715, which is available for under $225. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ASBCK4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=RKWWOTUHZ544&coliid=I3FLDGY6ZW5DQI That's like free. I'm wondering if this is an off-shore version of poorer quality. The reviews are mostly good on Amazon.

If I were you, I'd keep the old Dewalt for job site work and put the new Bosch in the shop, assuming you like it. That way, the new saw doesn't get all beat up and you don't have to disrupt the shop every time you need the saw somewhere else. Hope you post your opinion of the Bosch.

Doug Herzberg
11-18-2013, 10:31 AM
The reviews are mostly good on Amazon.

I read through the negative reviews. The big gripe is that this one is the "Type III," which is not compatible with the laser and other accessories. Didn't see anything bad about accuracy, etc. It is the single compound saw.

Mike Cruz
11-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Well, Doug...The search continues.

I unpacked the Bosch just now. It IS a beautiful saw. It slides smoothly, has a lot of cool bells and whistles (I really like that it goes to 60 degrees to the right). BUT it is just too deep for my space. It simply won't fit...

So, I'm going to keep my eyes open for the Bosch articulating arm version OR the Milwaukee 6950-20.

Larry Whitlow
11-18-2013, 5:18 PM

Gotcha -- I didn't read your original post correctly. I have a very old Delta miter saw that has that same start-up jolt. Other than that it works well. One of these days it might move far enough up my "upgrade" list for replacement. BTW, nice catch on the Bosch saw.

Mike Cruz
11-18-2013, 6:51 PM
Thanks...unfortunately, it doesn't "fit" in my shop. It is now on CL...

Doug Herzberg
11-29-2013, 1:46 PM
I picked up the 715 at HD for $199 during their Black Friday sale, less the 5% competitive discount for using a store card. It's pretty much as you described, Mike - solid, quite a kick and pretty well thought out. Came with a blade, but not much of a blade. I know you want an upgrade, but for me, this is an upgrade and it seems like a pretty good price. Thanks for the discussion.

Mike Cruz
11-29-2013, 4:04 PM
You are welcome, Doug. Glad you found something that worked for you. It worked for me for 14 years!

I found a brand new Bosch Glider on CL for a good price. So, I'm set, too!

Ole Anderson
11-29-2013, 6:22 PM
Glad you found one that fit your needs at a good price point. I have had my eye on the 12" dual bevel Hitachi, on sale at Lowe's for $199, usually $299. I have an older 10" Milwaukee non-bevel. Been a great saw. but a 12" would be an upgrade. Seldom need the bevel option though.

Rich Riddle
11-29-2013, 6:58 PM
Mike, I have owned a Rigid, Makita, and Bosch 12" sliding compound miter saws in the last several years. The Rigid was the worst I have ever seen and was returned. Another just like it had similar problems. The Makita worked as the workhorse until attending the Woodworking Show when a Bosch slider was purchased. The Makita was great, but the Bosch cuts much better. Like you, biting the Festool apple proved too much for the budget. The Bosch mobile cart also works extremely well. Good luck with your decision.

Mike Cruz
11-30-2013, 8:43 AM
Thanks, Rich. I ended up finding a good deal on CL on a NEW Bosch Glider. So, I'm good to go!

Mikhail Lermontov
01-21-2014, 2:03 AM
Mike, if you don't mind me asking, what's the problem with Bosch glide version? Why don't you like it except for its weight and size of course?

Mike Cruz
01-21-2014, 7:32 AM
Mikhail, there is nothing wrong with the glide version. That is what I ended up getting and am very happy with it. It can be used as a simple miter saw (with the glide mechanism locked), has the advantage of a larger cutting capacity like a slider, but doesn't take up much if any more room than a standard miter saw. If there is a "problem" with it, it is that it is a $700 saw. Luckily, I found one for a steel of a price (new in the box, but from a guy that didn't want/need it).

Mikhail Lermontov
01-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Mike, I'm glad you got my dream miter saw for a good price. I probably will never buy the saw for myself because I only build shelters for stray cats and don't have a shop to place it. Anyway, thanks for your response.

Roger Feeley
01-21-2014, 9:46 PM
You said that your saw has a kick on startup. Would you be using a thin kerf blade? I tried out a saw once and thought it had a kick. When I put a nice furniture grade blade on it, the kick went away. The nicer blade was heavier and the soft start feature on the motor seemed to like it better. The saw went back for other reasons so I didn't investigate the kick any further.

My point is that you might fix the kick with a heavier blade.

Mike Cruz
01-21-2014, 11:23 PM
Hmmmm, I hadn't thought of that, Roger. I suppose it is possible, but I don't think I had a thin kerf blade on the saw...though it is possible.

The DeWalt didn't have a soft start. That is kinda what lead to the kick. Of course, I no longer have the saw... And the new one works like a dream.