PDA

View Full Version : Nikon DSLR Flash Options - Vertical Shooting

Charles Brown
11-17-2013, 9:44 AM
I was wondering if anyone here might share some thoughts, opinions, or observations on a good flash to use with my Nikon D80 that would allow me to utilize it while shooting in the vertical orientation. Currently I use an SB-400 with my D80 and have had pretty good results (my abilities are one step above point-and-shoot). I am far from a professional photographer but I strive for good photos that don't require much colour correction, etc. on the computer.

I've sort of just plowed through with using the camera and flash horizontally but slowly realizing that I could benefit from being able to use a flash to bounce light off the ceiling in the vertical orientation.

Am I being silly? Should I just rely on the the horizontal orientation to shoot pictures and frame the image so that it may be cropped in post-production to achieve the desired shape?

Thanks in advance.

best,
Charlie

David Masters
11-17-2013, 10:04 AM
Not silly at all, although the SB-400 has limitations. It doesn't support off-camera wireless flash, which if using other Nikon flashes, would be my first recommendation. Nikon makes a couple of cables (SC-17 or SC-28) that you can use to extend the flash off-camera and mount on a flip style flash bracket. The Stroboframe 310-900 is excellent and can be found new for around $25 at Amazon, B&H Photo, and Adorama. I've had good experiences with all three stores. The SC-17 can be found for around $20. The SC-28 is really for the larger Nikon flashes, so these cost closer to $60-$75, but they support AF assist (which I wouldn't worry about). If you find an older SC-29 cable for a good price, I'm told it will work as well, but from what I've found the SC-29 is going for around the same price as an SC-28. The SC-17 cable should do everything you are looking for.

If you're looking for a new flash, you can move up to an SB-600 or SB-700 for around $300 a pop. These flashes have a swivel head that can be tilted up when the camera is in the vertical position. You might also think about a used SB-800, which although older, is still a better flash than any of Nikon's flashes other than an SB-910 (at $450-$500). I've found SB-800's for as low as $150 on Craigslist, but would think the normal used price is closer to $250.

Charles Brown
11-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Not silly at all, although the SB-400 has limitations. It doesn't support off-camera wireless flash, which if using other Nikon flashes, would be my first recommendation. Nikon makes a couple of cables (SC-17 or SC-28) that you can use to extend the flash off-camera and mount on a flip style flash bracket. The Stroboframe 310-900 is excellent and can be found new for around $25 at Amazon, B&H Photo, and Adorama. I've had good experiences with all three stores. The SC-17 can be found for around $20. The SC-28 is really for the larger Nikon flashes, so these cost closer to $60-$75, but they support AF assist (which I wouldn't worry about). If you find an older SC-29 cable for a good price, I'm told it will work as well, but from what I've found the SC-29 is going for around the same price as an SC-28. The SC-17 cable should do everything you are looking for.

If you're looking for a new flash, you can move up to an SB-600 or SB-700 for around $300 a pop. These flashes have a swivel head that can be tilted up when the camera is in the vertical position. You might also think about a used SB-800, which although older, is still a better flash than any of Nikon's flashes other than an SB-910 (at $450-$500). I've found SB-800's for as low as $150 on Craigslist, but would think the normal used price is closer to $250.

David, I like the idea of flexibility. I don't know if I'm quite ready to get into master/slave with multiple flashes. I like the SB-400 and will keep it; it is amazing light and, in my opinion, powerful enough for common photos. I've never thought about the flash bracket. I'll look into that.

I was kind of leaning towards the SB-700 (600 is discontinued) because of the swivel head. I thought the SB-800/900 seemed a little too big and complicated for my use. I carry a relatively small bag for photography when I leave the house and would like to keep it small (D80, a prime f/1.8, small 55-200 telephoto, the sb-400 and extra batteries). I don't think adding an SB-600/700 would complicate that mix. I like to keep it simple for a couple reasons. Not only is it easy to carry around, but it is less intimidating when the wife wants to take some snaps.

Stephen Cherry
11-17-2013, 11:05 AM
I'm not anywhere near an expert photographer either, but I do know that you are only going to go so far with people photography with one flash on the camera. For people photography, I bought some lights from craigslist that allow me to trigger the separate lights using the on camera flash. Usually one high from above, and one low from a distance. Moving the light is a great way to change the balance. In my opinion, a single on camera flash is mostly great for mug shots; however, in outdoor photography, you can use the ambient light, then add in flash to even out the shadows in someones face. The first step would be to go to the library or bookstore and read up on lighting.

Charles Brown
11-17-2013, 2:43 PM
I'm not anywhere near an expert photographer either, but I do know that you are only going to go so far with people photography with one flash on the camera. For people photography, I bought some lights from craigslist that allow me to trigger the separate lights using the on camera flash. Usually one high from above, and one low from a distance. Moving the light is a great way to change the balance. In my opinion, a single on camera flash is mostly great for mug shots; however, in outdoor photography, you can use the ambient light, then add in flash to even out the shadows in someones face. The first step would be to go to the library or bookstore and read up on lighting.

Stephen, thank you for your comments. I have read up on lighting and the use of flash and have decided that decidicated slave and master flashes isn't something I really want to get involved with. The photos I take are more of the "follow the kid around the house" variety. I think I am looking for another flash that fits in the hotshoe and I will just have to deal with the shortcomings presented by it. The big short coming of the SB-400 is its inability to rotate the flash head for bouncing the light vertically when in the portrait orientation.

Although I'm not looking to take mugshots, a lot of the pictures tend to be of people's faces whether in action, as an individual, or in groups. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying about additional lights. Are you bringing these with you to the zoo, mall, or amusement parks? My interpretation was these would be not very portable. Again, maybe I'm wrong.

Currently I use a prime f/1.8 lens for close distances (indoor and outdoor) and a 55-200 mm VR telephoto primarily for all other situations.

Eric DeSilva
11-17-2013, 2:56 PM
Studio lights are great for studio work, but aren't going to work for a lot of people who tend to shoot candid shots...

Have you considered just getting a short Nikon-compatible hot shoe extension cord? You can hand hold the flash. You might also experiment--if you are using a bounce flash, you might find there isn't a huge difference between bouncing off the ceiling or--say--a wall. The other option is using a bounce card mounted to your flash--which can be as simple as a white piece of paper taped onto the flash. There are also flash diffusers--like the Gary Fong Lightsphere--that might help (or cheaper DIY versions of that).

Stephen Cherry
11-17-2013, 4:59 PM
Although I'm not looking to take mugshots, a lot of the pictures tend to be of people's faces whether in action, as an individual, or in groups. Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying about additional lights. Are you bringing these with you to the zoo, mall, or amusement parks? My interpretation was these would be not very portable. Again, maybe I'm wrong.

Currently I use a prime f/1.8 lens for close distances (indoor and outdoor) and a 55-200 mm VR telephoto primarily for all other situations.

No- not taking them to the zoo, not an expert either. Outside, you have the sun, so that is the primary light can just fill the shadows. Inside is a different story, and it's tough to take a nice pixture inside with a flash on the camera only. If you want to bounce, maybe one of these would help

http://www.camerachums.com/Vertical-Flash-Bracket-For-Nikon-Sony-Pentax-Canon-Olympus-Panasonic-Camera/p-328359?refid=Google

Erik Loza
11-17-2013, 7:18 PM
Had the SB-800 for 8+ years now and been very happy with it.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

David Masters
11-17-2013, 10:21 PM
The hot shoe extension cord was what I referred to when I mentioned the SC-17. At $20 it's a good thing to have in the bag. There are a lot of times I want the flash off the camera when taking pictures of people.

Charles, you would be happy with the SB-700. I understand it's a great flash. The SB-800 was Nikon's flagship for a while. I don't think there is that much difference in size between the SB-700 and SB-800. I wouldn't let the power of the SB-800 scare you off if you can find one for a good price. You simply keep it in its default mode of iTTL and it functions just like the SB-400.

The Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS) is pretty good. I use multiple flash at times and at least inside, it works well. Outside it can be hit or miss depending on distance. The flash units have to be within line of site of each other to work reliably. There is a lot of information on this topic at photo.net, dpreview.com, Nikonians.org, and photocamel.com. If you are really interested in off-camera flash, look at strobist.com or read one of the very good books from Joe McNally.

But I think you are on the right track by looking for something like an SB-700 and using the swivel head to bounce the light from the ceiling. I've used the Gary Fong stuff, and it creates pretty flat lighting, that to me, looks a little unnatural. Some people rave about it though. Until you find the SB-700, the SC-17 and flash bracket would serve you well.