PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Cyclone Review - It runs

Bob Borzelleri
06-06-2005, 2:34 AM
It is 11:23. The large guys have left and I ran a 220 line to the Griz. My wife is telling me that, if I don't go to bed soon, I'll wake her when I do and she will probably miss the train in the morning. I think that's it for tonight. It is up, wired and runs. The switch works in a timer mode and the remote works. Since there is no ducting yet, it makes large whooshing sounds. Other than that, I know nothing.

...Bob

Allan Johanson
06-06-2005, 3:46 AM
Very cool, Bob. I'm glad it runs. What I really hate is when you fire up a new tool and you discover something dreadfully wrong. Especially with something you had shipped to your house. Yuck.

But soon you'll have the ducting in place and you'll discover what kind of appetite it has. My Bill Pentz cyclone has an appetite for 14" long cutoffs! :eek:

Cheers,

Allan

Richard Wolf
06-06-2005, 7:49 AM
Bob, It looks good. I'm interested in want you think of the Grizzly. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a cyclone and can't decide between the Grizz and the Gorilla.

Richard

Jim Becker
06-06-2005, 8:24 AM
Very nice, Bob. Looks sturdy and ready to work!

But don't be running that thing until you have duct work...it can burn out the motor!! (That would not make you happy.... ;) )

Bob Borzelleri
06-06-2005, 10:10 AM
Very nice, Bob. Looks sturdy and ready to work!

But don't be running that thing until you have duct work...it can burn out the motor!! (That would not make you happy.... ;) )

I kinda wondered about that. The assembly instructions walked me through the switch test which was the final step. I figured that the unit was designed to operate with a particular level of back (front?) pressure so I just did the minimum of running necessary to cycle through the three times modes and operate the remote; about 20 seconds. My assumption is that running sans ductwork for any significant period will allow the motor to exceed it's max RPM.

...Bob

Jim Becker
06-06-2005, 10:16 AM
Running without duct work makes for the highest amperage draw...it can exceed the motor's comfort zone and hence, cause problems. I'm really surprised there isn't a big warning about this as there was on my system...but obviously a different brand.

Dust collector blower/motor systems are interesting animals. Contrary to "uneducated logic", they work the least when there is no air flow and work the hardest at maximum air flow. You can see that for yourself simply by using an amp meter...

Frank Pellow
06-06-2005, 12:52 PM
... don't be running that thing until you have duct work...it can burn out the motor!! (That would not make you happy.... ;) )
Hey thanks Jim, I didn't know that. I did run my cyclone briefly (about 30 seconds) without any duct work and it does not appear to have done any damage.

Andy London
06-06-2005, 2:03 PM
Hey thanks Jim, I didn't know that. I did run my cyclone briefly (about 30 seconds) without any duct work and it does not appear to have done any damage.

It would also depend on your voltage at the outlet( I have seen 220 outlets anywhere from 208 to 230), my cyclone with no duct attached was drawing far less than the spec label on the motor.

Bill Crofutt
06-06-2005, 4:32 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Becker]Running without duct work makes for the highest amperage draw...it can exceed the motor's comfort zone and hence, cause problems. I'm really surprised there isn't a big warning about this as there was on my system...but obviously a different brand.

Actually that only applies when using a motor not designed for the application. The Grizzly motor was designed specifically for a cyclone therefore it will not hurt it to run without ductwork installed. Obviously there is no need for a warning label.

Jim Becker
06-06-2005, 4:46 PM
Good to know, Bill.