PDA

View Full Version : Weekend picking gloat / question

Dave Beauchesne
11-16-2013, 8:36 PM
Was fortunate to hit up the Habitat for Humanity and found a Yankee #1455 two speed breast drill ( pics attached ) as well as a couple hand saws - an Atkins with lots of plate left, a Keen Kutter with real nice wheat carving and a Disston cross cut back saw ( 14" or so ) pre 1915 ish. The ask- $25.00. SOLD! The question: I have never seen a #1455 before, and though it is in great shape, one of the chuck jaws is broken off about 3/16'' in the outboard end. Any ideas where I can get another jaw? Info on the chuck to take it apart? Next, went to a garage sale this a.m. and found a Made in England #71 Stanley, in its original box, c/w the instructions and all the fence bits and irons. The seller said he bought it new in 1952, and you can see the price in grease pencil on the label. Heck, I was eight years away from being born!!. As well a rosewood mortise gauge, a Stanley #95, a Miller Falls drill driver, and a Disston thumb hole ripper, blade poor, apple handle and brass hardware in great shape. $17.00 - you bet sir!! Only pics of the 71 posted, the best part of the deal. If anyone can help with info on the Yankee, it would be appreciated. Dave B

Paul Incognito
11-16-2013, 9:37 PM
I can't help you with the Yankee.
I just want to be the first to say "You Suck!"
Good finds there!
PI

Jim Koepke
11-17-2013, 2:10 AM
"You Suck!"

+1 on that.

Looks like you had a great day to gloat about. Habitat for Humanity (or the Restore) is a great place to find things. You just have to get there at the "right" time.

Your best bet might be to find one that is beat up for parts. I have a breast drill missing the jaws and have found just about every maker and model has its own jaw geometry.

jtk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-17-2013, 9:15 AM
What Jim said in regards to jaws. I've even found two apparently identical drills with different jaws. You might have better luck finding a new chuck that threads onto the drill rather than replacing the jaws. Depending on if there's weird spring holes or anything, you might be able to make something new your self.

The last MF chuck I took apart was fairly easy - simply unscrewed it from the end of the rod - basically keep opening the jaws until the whole chuck comes off. Then to take it apart, I padded the jaws on metal working vise, and clasped the flats at the bottom end (the opposite end of where the jaws peek out) in the vise, and grabbed the knurled shell with some non-marring pliers (the type you use in plumbing to avoid mucking up your brightwork) and unscrewed it. Simple as that, although perhaps yours was different. Careful, because besides the jaws, there's often a little plunger and some springs inside there. They are very easy to lose!

Archie England
11-17-2013, 9:27 AM
I suggest that you contact Mr. George, owner of George's Basement (website: http://www.georgesbasement.com/) and see what solutions he could suggest. He did a beautiful restoration for me on a Bell systems brace.

Oh, and you SUCK on the great finds. Congratulations!!!

Dave Beauchesne
11-17-2013, 11:31 AM
I suggest that you contact Mr. George, owner of George's Basement (website: http://www.georgesbasement.com/) and see what solutions he could suggest. He did a beautiful restoration for me on a Bell systems brace. Oh, and you SUCK on the great finds. Congratulations!!!
Thanks for that Archie, and for the input from others.
Jim: I happened to be at H for H ( Restore ) when the lady who does the pricing had just pushed the cart from the back room.
I spied the aforementioned loot and quickly snagged the booty before some other rust hound showed up.
Where I am though, decent chisels from any venue are rare as hens teeth. Must keep up the scavenging though -----

Jim Belair
11-17-2013, 1:13 PM
OK Dave, let me get this straight. You live in one of the prettiest places in the country, go for breakfast at the famous Molly's Reach, have a top WW school (Inside Passage) just down the road, AND you score a haul like this at the ReStore? Sorry about your luck on the chisels man.

I think I'd be sending Habitat a bill or two as a donation.

Jim Koepke
11-17-2013, 3:32 PM
Where I am though, decent chisels from any venue are rare as hens teeth. Must keep up the scavenging though -----

I know, my rust hunting around here has been going on for years and just recently found the first really decent chisels at the Restore.

jtk

Bill Houghton
11-17-2013, 3:47 PM
I was wondering why the breezes were blowing so strongly toward the north - it's the vacuum you created with those finds.

Check the spindle diameter. If it's 1/2" and fine thread, you might be able to use a modern chuck. If you do (warning: heresy ahead), use a geared chuck, like on power drills. It's very hard to get a hand-tightened chuck tight enough not to slip with a bit of any significant size.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-17-2013, 5:23 PM
Check the spindle diameter. If it's 1/2" and fine thread, you might be able to use a modern chuck. If you do (warning: heresy ahead), use a geared chuck, like on power drills. It's very hard to get a hand-tightened chuck tight enough not to slip with a bit of any significant size.

While I have had this issue with power drills, I haven't had this issue with hand-cranked drills, because you can tighten the chuck jaws by cranking the handle, and get them much tighter than you would just twisting the chuck. YMMV, of course.

Dave Beauchesne
11-17-2013, 5:52 PM
OK Dave, let me get this straight. You live in one of the prettiest places in the country, go for breakfast at the famous Molly's Reach, have a top WW school (Inside Passage) just down the road, AND you score a haul like this at the ReStore? Sorry about your luck on the chisels man. I think I'd be sending Habitat a bill or two as a donation.
Jim:
Yeah, I can't complain too much. I do a bit of free consulting for the H for H, so all is good. And IP is a great place - are you alumni? Robert and Yvonne are wonderful people.
Thanks for the advice in the chuck, but I couldn't sleep at night if I screwed a Jacobs chuck on the #1455: I looked at the patent drawing for the two speed mechanism- WOW!
I will search for the correct parts if at all possible.

Jim Belair
11-17-2013, 6:25 PM
Jim:
Yeah, I can't complain too much. I do a bit of free consulting for the H for H, so all is good. And IP is a great place - are you alumni? Robert and Yvonne are wonderful people.

Thanks for your support Dave. I'm a Global Village team leader with about 10 trips under my belt so try to get a plug in when I can.

Curves & Veneers week at Inside Passage about five years ago. Learned a LOT and great for pushing the envelope. For anyone interested...

http://www.insidepassage.ca/artisan-program

Jim Koepke
11-17-2013, 8:38 PM
While I have had this issue with power drills, I haven't had this issue with hand-cranked drills, because you can tighten the chuck jaws by cranking the handle, and get them much tighter than you would just twisting the chuck. YMMV, of course.

It all depends on how tight one can grip things. I haven't had a problem with slipping bit in eggbeater drills.

Now my keyless chuck on a Makita, that is a different story.

jtk