PDA

View Full Version : Bench Dog ProLift plate size and table compatibility?

David Kuzdrall
11-16-2013, 9:22 AM
I recently came across a good deal on a lightly used Bench Dog ProLift and PC router and am now looking to complete the rest of the table.

It looks like the plate size on this is smaller than usual (8 1/4" x 11 3/4") vs (9 1/4" x 11 3/4") so I am wondering what off the shelf tops will a accept this lift besides the Bench Dog ones?

i have nothing against the bench dog products, I am just bargain hunting on eBay, craigslist, etc to try and find a good deal and knowing what would fit ahead of time will make it easier.

thx

David Kuzdrall
11-16-2013, 9:24 AM
I recently came across a good deal on a lightly used Bench Dog ProLift and PC router and am now looking to complete the rest of the table.

It looks like the plate size on this is smaller than usual (8 1/4" x 11 3/4") vs (9 1/4" x 11 3/4") so I am wondering what off the shelf tops will a accept this lift besides the Bench Dog ones?

i have nothing against the bench dog products, I am just bargain hunting on eBay, craigslist, etc to try and find a good deal and knowing what would fit ahead of time will make it easier.

thx

Or maybe Jessem is larger than usual which was the only data point so far...

glenn bradley
11-16-2013, 9:31 AM
Bench Dog plates do run smaller than others. I have never seen another vendor's table opening that matched. If you make your own its a no-brainer. For off the shelf, visit Rockler.

johnny means
11-16-2013, 12:35 PM
I've got there CI router table top. My research hasn't yielded any other manufacturers using Benchdog's standard.

Bruce Page
11-16-2013, 1:14 PM
I also have the BD cast iron table top, very nice but not cheap. Rockler sells a DIY 8 1/4" x 11 3/4" template for cutting your own router table top.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P5T58M?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&action=selectNewCardDeactivatedCC

Colin Giersberg
11-18-2013, 12:16 PM
It would be nice if Benchdog would make a replacement mounting plate for their lift that would fit a standard opening. Then it would be just a matter of swapping out the plate for the existing one.

glenn bradley
11-18-2013, 1:04 PM
It would be nice if Benchdog would make a replacement mounting plate for their lift that would fit a standard opening. Then it would be just a matter of swapping out the plate for the existing one.

That would be great as soon as you find a "standard" opening.

Woodpwcker - 9-1/4 x 11-3/4 x 3/8 thick
Rockler - 8-1/4" x 11-3/4" x 1/4" thick
Peachtree - 9" x 12" x 3/8" (1/4" lip)

Etc., etc. etc. Each one is "standard" for their products. This is why many folks here emphasize choosing your lift or plate and then building or buying the matching table. When you choose a brand you are buying into their methods. For example; Rockler runs 5/16" x 18 TPI jig hardware for many of their products whereas Woodpecker and others are almost exclusively 1/4" x 20TPI. I prefer the heavier hardware but, now have more 1/4" that 5/16" since more brands use it.

Michael Dunn
11-24-2013, 3:27 PM
I use the jessem mast-r-lift smaller size in my bench dog cast iron top. Works great. Fits perfectly.

MARK DEFILIPPO
11-24-2013, 5:52 PM
I have the Rockler lift shown in this ad http://www.rockler.com/rockler-high-pressure-laminate-router-table-fence-fx-router-lift . It appears that it could be diffrent from the current offering, my version fits well into the Bench Dog extension I have mounted to my Jet Table saw. Both are 14 months old.