PDA

View Full Version : A Joinery Secret Revealed

Andrew Joiner
11-15-2013, 10:40 PM
Oops I misspelled revealed.

What a great design solution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPudD4vtscQ&list=PLCB6AEE2BAF8A0464&index=9 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPudD4vtscQ&list=PLCB6AEE2BAF8A0464&index=9)

Ken Fitzgerald
11-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Andrew,

Members can edit their posts for 24 hours. After that, a PM to a Moderator can get a post edited.

To change the title of a thread, you have select "Edit Post".....the edit window will open then select "Go Advanced"......In the Advanced edit window you can change a title.

I did it for you.

Mike Henderson
11-15-2013, 11:56 PM
They really don't give a clear explanation (or I'm dense). From what I saw, it seems that one leg of the angle bracket has to be put into the leg in some fashion, maybe by making the leg out of two pieces and routing half the space on each piece. Then the two pieces of leg would be glued together, and half the angle bracket would be sticking out of the leg.

Then, the bottom of the seat is routed out to accept the other leg of the angle bracket. When attaching the leg to the seat, the wood part of the leg is coated with glue (the part mated to the seat) and the angle bracket is inserted into the routed area in the bottom of the seat, and snugged with the nut.

Is that how other people see it?

Mike

Leo Graywacz
11-16-2013, 12:28 AM
Ya, it looked like the leg was split and the metal bracket glued inside it.

Buncha cheaters LOL

Mike Henderson
11-16-2013, 12:37 AM
Sam Maloof did essentially the same thing but with a real wood joint (the Maloof joint - a difficult joint to make). No metal, unless you count the screw he usually put in to hold the leg in place while the glue was setting.

Mike

Larry Edgerton
11-16-2013, 5:17 AM
Not a new trick. I repaired a 16th century cantilevered canopy bed, and it had hand forged iron angles holding up the canopy buried inside.

I use metal inside my work frequently, not so much to cheat, but to avoid litigation. Lawyers scare me.

Larry

Jeff Duncan
11-16-2013, 11:40 AM
Yeah I don't think it was meant to be a "how to", as much as it's a part of their sales technique. Pumping up their product so to speak. TM is a high end furniture retailer....ie. $$$$. You don't go to their shop as much as you go to a local showroom. So these look like a series of videos for clientele who want just a little more info on how their hand made piece was created.

Having said that, I think it's a pretty neat little piece of hardware;)

Jeffd

Brian W Smith
11-17-2013, 8:24 AM
Making chit-chat here......nice video,thanks for posting.

Just don't think that it has to be a "cast" pce.This co. is getting them cast in bunches/lots......which is what casting is about.If you wanted less than say 10?.....then this is an extremely easy weldment.Don't want to burden the thread with,Aluminum vs Steel....but suffice it to say,you aren't giving up a thing,going w/steel.

Mentioned in above post about cheating?Well...yeah,maybe....but it boils down to how WELL you cheat.Sort of like a cheap,hired for your kid's B-day,magician...vs....a true artist in the craft.Meaning,there are many levels of "cheaters",and cheated'ness,haha.Look at the early days of Winston Cup racing?