PDA

View Full Version : Repairing substrate for veneering

Mark Wolverton
11-15-2013, 4:53 PM
Hi,
I have a set of lawyers book cases that I am restoring. The top piece had oak veneer on the top that had to be replaced. The plywood has some voids that I would like to fill but not sure what to use. I thought of Durham's Rock Hard water putty but not sure. Any suggestion?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank

Jeff Duncan
11-15-2013, 5:31 PM
Bondo....easily available, sets up quickly, and works easily if you hit it right when it's roughly 70% or so cured. Once it fully hardens it's quit a bit tougher.

good luck,
JeffD

william watts
11-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Bondo it is. I have used it for filling areas of tear out, and small voids in core material for veneer work. Worked very well.

jerry cousins
11-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Maybe depends on the what glue you're planning to use. The people that make unibond suggest NOT using bondo - some adhesion problems (although i used it for a time and did not encounter any difficulties) - they do suggest durham's. don't know about other glues.
jerry

HANK METZ
11-16-2013, 7:17 AM
I've used Durham's in the past, no problems.

Jeff Duncan
11-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Maybe depends on the what glue you're planning to use. The people that make unibond suggest NOT using bondo - some adhesion problems (although i used it for a time and did not encounter any difficulties) - they do suggest durham's. don't know about other glues.
jerry

Jerry, that's good to know! I haven't used Unibond in the past, but I'll have to file that away just in case I try it in the future;)

Jeffd

Mel Fulks
11-16-2013, 12:18 PM
I'm filing that info,too. But UF glues stick to a lot of smooth dense materials. I think the warning might stem from ONE failure caused by overly thick Bondo shrinking over time.