PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Engraved Glass

Eddie Castaneda
11-15-2013, 3:47 PM
Any special cleaning products or ways to engraved Glass?

Kev Williams
11-15-2013, 10:49 PM
I use 0000 steel wool. Cleans and smooths out the etching nicely, and doesn't scratch the glass.

That's an enigma I've never figured out, why does a plastic pad (scotchbrite) scratch glass but a steel fiber pad doesn't? :)

Matt Turner (physics)
11-15-2013, 11:45 PM
I use 0000 steel wool. Cleans and smooths out the etching nicely, and doesn't scratch the glass.

That's an enigma I've never figured out, why does a plastic pad (scotchbrite) scratch glass but a steel fiber pad doesn't? :)

Steel and glass have comparable scratch hardness. Scotch-brite pads have an abrasive (aluminum oxide) that is much, much harder.

Kev Williams
11-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Never researched why scotchbrite works, I didn't know it was alum-oxide, but that definitely explains it!

Dan Hintz
11-16-2013, 8:09 AM
I ball up a small piece of paper grocery bag and rub it all over... nothing special needed, and we always have a grocery bag or two around.

Glen Monaghan
11-16-2013, 11:17 AM
I ball up a small piece of paper grocery bag and rub it all over... nothing special needed, and we always have a grocery bag or two around.

Paper or plastic? :^)

Braden Todd
11-16-2013, 2:43 PM
I use denatured alcohol and micro fiber towels. Paper towels work too but if you sandblast glass they tear apart and leaves paper fragments everywhere! Good thing about denatured alcohol is that it leaves no oils or residues, takes off anything on the glass, and has no dye in it to worry about.

Vaughan Raymond
11-17-2013, 2:00 PM
I scrape it with a razor blade.