PDA

View Full Version : Toy belt sander...not.

Rick Potter
11-15-2013, 12:46 PM
I picked up a little PC portable belt sander a year or so ago. It's so small, I figured it was probably just a toy, but I might use it once in a while. Hey, it was on sale, so I bought it. Gotta keep up my tool junkie status, besides, I am getting to the point where I don't even get out my 4" one anymore because I can hardly lift it.

It has a 2 1/2" wide belt that is only 14" long total, so it is not good for flattening panels. I don't think the platen is over 4" long. What I have used it for is touching up corners, removing finish on old wood before running it through the drum sander, etc. That was until yesterday, when I was trying to install underlayment for a kitchen counter. It is a serving counter about 13" wide, going over 20' around an interior bay. The cabinets (17 separate units) were all in and square, but the pony (?) wall they attach to also carries one side of the counter. It is NOT straight and square.

I was lucky enough that up until the last of the six pieces of underlayment, it could be handled with shims. The last stretch of wall had one corner 1/8" too high. I tried using a chisel to knock it down, but it didn't work too well. With great trepidation I prepared to make a mess in the kitchen with the belt sander. Hoping to catch some of the dust, I set my $29 Costco shop vac on the counter and the hose fit the sander. It sanded the 8" of 2x4 in a very confined space just fine, only leaving about 1/8" next to the adjoining piece unsanded. This was easily finished with a chisel.

Now here is the best part. The shop vac caught all the dust. I could not find any at all. My old belt sander would have clouded the room. I am impressed.....tiny, but no toy.

Rick Potter

EDIT: OOPS, didn't see Henry Kramers post about this sander. Mine is the same.....371K.

John McClanahan
11-15-2013, 12:51 PM
I have one of those, too. I bought mine refurbished. I don't use it very often. It's nice and small so it can be used with one hand.

John

Bill Huber
11-15-2013, 1:13 PM
I love the little sander, I have a large belt sand that set in the drawer now, I use the PC to do the clean up on my end grain cutting boards.
Run them though the drum sander with 80 grit and then use the little belt sander to sand off the lines from the 80 grit.

As you have found the dust pickup is really good, I connect it to my DC and it gets the dust plus the belt does not load up as fast.

Jeff Duncan
11-15-2013, 5:34 PM
They're great for quickly scribing fills and/or face frames to walls. Removing a little material off of a ladder frame, or quickly back beveling some trim.

Only bad feedback I've heard about them is when guys try to use them for removing a lot of stock. In which case my reaction is.....use right tool for the job;)

JeffD

Adam Diethrich
11-15-2013, 6:15 PM
OK guys, who has the model number of this little miracle sander?
I need to investigate this further :)

A.W.D.

Cary Falk
11-15-2013, 10:27 PM
I believe they are talking about the 371K.

Sam Murdoch
11-15-2013, 10:36 PM
They're great for quickly scribing fills and/or face frames to walls. Removing a little material off of a ladder frame, or quickly back beveling some trim.

Only bad feedback I've heard about them is when guys try to use them for removing a lot of stock. In which case my reaction is.....use right tool for the job;)

JeffD

Yes, yes and yes. This is the only belt sander I've kept. All the otherwise heavy stock removal is done with the Festool RO125. Also can hook up the little PC to my Festool vac. Dustless scribing when it counts and one handed too, even for my little hands.

It's the PORTER-CABLE 371K 2 1/2 by 14-Inch Compact Belt Sander

Leo Graywacz
11-16-2013, 12:32 AM
This is the sander I bring with me for cabinet installs. I use it for scribing. Depending on how much I have to take off I either use the jigsaw to get close and then the sander or just the sander. I pretty much only buy 60 grit belts for it. And yes, the dust collection is fantastic on this little jewel.

http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/kmj3v.qwgs5/v/vspfiles/photos/POR-371-2T.jpg?1381392431