PDA

View Full Version : Tapered plane blades from Lee Valley!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-14-2013, 8:16 PM
Did anyone else see this? For some reason, it wasn't showing up on the "new woodworking products" page, but it was linked at the bottom of an email I got from Lee Valley -

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,230,41182,43698&p=71259

A little pricier than just scrounging something, but my experience with LV blades (lapped flat as all heck right out of the box) combined with a taper for a proper wooden-bodied plane might just be the kick in the rear I need to get around to making that some wooden planes, something I've been putting off for a while . . .

Chris Vandiver
11-14-2013, 8:24 PM
Looks good and the price is great, if you ask me.

Ryan Baker
11-14-2013, 9:54 PM
Wow, I wish I knew about those a couple days ago when I put an order in. But I'm sure another one is coming soon...

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Oh, I think the price is great, especially after having used LV aftermarket blades in a few of my metal planes - the fact that they're pretty much ready to go out of the box, and you probably never have to touch that back other than removing a burr makes 'em worth well over the asking price; I was just comparing it to the fact that at least up my way, you can get often get decent vintage tapered blades (after some cleaning and fettling) for a few bucks if you pick up some totally junked wooden plane. At the price LV is asking, I'd certainly go that route.

Chris Friesen
11-15-2013, 2:09 AM
The only possible complaint is that they're not available in pm-v11. :D

Kees Heiden
11-15-2013, 2:50 AM
Nice, but they are still one inch too short. Authentic western wooden plane irons are 7". And a pitty they didn't add a chipbreaker slot.

But for me it's a mood point really. It would at least double the price to get them over the ocean.

Zach Dillinger
11-15-2013, 8:35 AM
Nice, but they are still one inch too short. Authentic western wooden plane irons are 7". And a pitty they didn't add a chipbreaker slot.

But for me it's a mood point really. It would at least double the price to get them over the ocean.

+1 here, and I wish they had a plain rounded top. I'd buy several if they were like that.

Steve Voigt
11-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Kees, Zach: wow, you guys are a tough crowd!
Vintage tapered irons aren't necessarily 7". I have a couple that are 8" or longer. On the other hand, I have some well-used double irons that are right around 6", and it's unlikely I'll use them up in my lifetime. As far as the rounded (18th c. style) tops go, there's always the grinder. :)
Anyway, I'm very happy to see these. Vintage double irons are easy to find, but the unslotted singles are rare.

-Steve

P.S. If you really wanted to use these as a double, note that they are RC58-60…with a carbide end mill, a drill press, and cross-slide vise, you could put a slot in there if you really wanted to (not that I'd want to, but it could be done).

Rob Lee
11-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Kees, Zach: wow, you guys are tough crowd!
(snip)

Just what I was thinking..... :)

Steve Voigt
11-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Rob, just curious…was there any thought of offering these in a double iron configuration?

Kees Heiden
11-15-2013, 12:02 PM
Yes of course you can use these in a wooden plane. But as a manufacturer when making traditional style western tapered blades, it is kind of a pitty to make them one inch too short. 7 inch or even a bit longer was the norm, so when you want to build a replica, it would have been nice if they were the traditional length. Otherwise you start your freshly build plane with a worn down iron.

But I won't be a customer anyway, because they are not available overhere.

mike holden
11-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Rob, since you have the tooling to make tapered irons, will we be seeing molding plane or rabbet plane irons someday? Soon?
Mike

Rob Lee
11-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Yes of course you can use these in a wooden plane. But as a manufacturer when making traditional style western tapered blades, it is kind of a pitty to make them one inch too short. 7 inch or even a bit longer was the norm, so when you want to build a replica, it would have been nice if they were the traditional length. Otherwise you start your freshly build plane with a worn down iron.

But I won't be a customer anyway, because they are not available overhere.

Hi Kees -

These aren't traditional blades - they're made for a more "modern" style of wooden plane. You'll also see some different lengths/styles coming when we release our Norris adjuster based wooden plane kits. Many of the products have been dsigned for specific uses and projects (and price points!) - as we work with various schools to develop kits for "build your own plane" courses. We also support our own seminar programs.

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee
11-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Rob, since you have the tooling to make tapered irons, will we be seeing molding plane or rabbet plane irons someday? Soon?
Mike

Hi Mike -

Yes you will, and I'm not sure when.

Molding planes are particularly tough - manufacturing profiles (in quantity) is very expensive... and you can buy antique wooden molders for $10, and harvest just the blades, if you want. Makes the economics a bit difficult.

Cheers -

Rob

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
11-15-2013, 12:21 PM
I hadn't even looked at the length! I'm sure Rob could chime in, but I'd hazard a guess that the length and shape are as such to allow them to use the same or similar tooling to hold them in the fixtures for the back lapping machine that their normal blade use.

It is a bit odd length wise, as it's also a bit long for a krenov-style plane.

I've often thought of making a wooden plane using a "modern style" chip breaker, under the assumption that the there'd be enough taper in the whole assembly to get the same sort of benefits. Obviously doesn't help those looking for a traditional look, this wouldn't work, but am I off in my idea as far as getting enough taper that way?

Kees - I don't know how much the shipping rates are to you, but have you checked out G & M Tools in the UK? They've got a fair amount of stuff on the auction site, and their website mentions a fair amount of NOS stuff, too.

george wilson
11-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Rob,if you could make the blade tops just a hemisphere,they'd be more suitable for 18th. C. wooden plane replicas.

Zach Dillinger
11-15-2013, 12:42 PM
Just what I was thinking..... :)

They look like beautiful irons and I certainly didn't mean to say otherwise. When I make a plane, I try to copy traditional 18th century planes, especially English planes. I prefer to have irons that are roughly the same length as originals, both for practical and aesthetic reasons. It isn't a fear that I will use them up in my lifetime (not terribly worried about that).

I certainly can grind the ends round, but that just makes them shorter yet.

I'm sure the guys who make modern style wood planes will love them, and I'm sure they work phenomenally well.

Perhaps I am not your intended customer, but I applaud you for making irons like this. They are badly needed.

Eugenio Musto
11-15-2013, 1:11 PM
Hi Mike -

Yes you will, and I'm not sure when.

Molding planes are particularly tough - manufacturing profiles (in quantity) is very expensive... and you can buy antique wooden molders for $10, and harvest just the blades, if you want. Makes the economics a bit difficult.

Cheers -

Rob

It's true but none of the vintage molding plane nowadays available has got the Veritas lapped blade,a norris adjuster and is ready out of the box...Maybe this could help to make them more desidable.. :D

george wilson
11-15-2013, 1:19 PM
Rob,if you could just make them with the early 19th. C. 45 degree clipped corners,they could easily be ground into round top irons. They would serve 2 purposes like that.

Kees Heiden
11-15-2013, 4:21 PM
I see your point Rob. It's just, when I see a western style traditional tapered iron of 6", the first thing shooting through my head is: What a shame, 1" too short. It's easier to shorten an iron then to make it longer.

But I have plenty of vintage ones available overhere. I just kind of hate flattening vintage plane irons. They always seem to have some pitting or dropped corners or the like.

David Weaver
11-15-2013, 4:32 PM
Well, we can always pein a bit on the end of them :)