PDA

View Full Version : Basement/shop remodel: sheathed (pics)

Todd Davidson
06-05-2005, 8:39 PM
With a Bluegrass and Fiddle Contest last Sunday and a Bluegrass Festival today (not to mention the work that Kim has had to do on the gardens) it's been a slow couple weeks but Kim and I got most of the walls are sheathed.

Went with mainly OSB and a few areas of pegboard. Furred (sp?) out the peg board walls with 3/4" furring strips and to keep the OSB even I cut 1 1/2" strips of OSB and furred out the studs that were getting covered with OSB.

Am debating whether or not to paint the OSB. A good portion of the upper walls will be covered with cabinets and the wall adjacent to the left of the door will eventually have several base cabinets to support a 16' piece of corian countertop I salvaged from a job (that will be a divided into "stations" for the scroll saw, a sharpening area, and a carving area for Kim) so there won't be a whole lot of exposed wall.

The lathe will go to the left of the counter top area

The bench - with some modification - the right of the door will be for the 12"CMS and RAS (although I'm leaning more and more towards selling them both and purchasing a 12" SCMS)

The wall that closes in the right side of the stairs will be used for lumber storage.

To the left of the stairs we made a small 6' X 8' room. Am either going to move my office downstairs or more likely use that area for finishing.

The visible lolly column is coming out and our table saw, jointer and planer will share that area. (Edit: Guess you'll have to look at one of my previous posts for the lolly column).

BS, shaper, belt/spindle sander, and DP are all on mobile bases and will be stored just past the lumber rack.

Haven't quite figured out dust collection yet (we have a 2hp SECO). Need to get some better bags and then consult with you all about running duct work.

Will post pictures as everything comes together.

Over the course of the upcoming week we need to sheath the office/finishing area, install the pocketless door at the bottom of the stairs as well as a few other doors, rough in a half dozen 220 lines and a dozen 110, and run some lags through the LVLs so we can remove the lolly column.

We appreciate your taking the time to check out our progress and welcome any comment and feedback.

In peace, Todd & Kim

Jim O'Dell
06-05-2005, 9:04 PM
Looks good, Todd. You could probably wait until the cabinets are all in place, but I think I'd go ahead and paint what is showing of the osb just to brighten things up. The extra reflectivity (is that a word?) from white paint, or at least light colored paint, will help any shop, but especially a basement shop. Good luck. I know sometimes we have to make do with what time we get to use for shop work. Jim.

Corey Hallagan
06-05-2005, 9:28 PM
Coming right along Todd! Looks great. Personally I like the look of the OSB but it might make it a little brighter to work down there and might not make you feel as closed in at times, especially when you get all the equipment set up in there. Looking good!
Corey

John Dingman
06-05-2005, 9:57 PM
Todd,

That looks fantastic! I like the use of the peg board on the top. You will have plenty of room to hang things ;) I cast another vote for painting it. Even though it will bleed yellow in some spots, it sure brightens up the shop! Keep up the good work!

John

John Hart
06-06-2005, 7:23 AM
Great shop Todd! Personally, I would paint it in a light color, as it helps with lighting and it's also easier to clean when something gets splattered on the wall. Not that anything will EVER get splattered on the wall!:)

Bob Winkler
06-06-2005, 7:50 AM
Looking good Todd- you made quite a bit of progress since I saw it last weekend.

Maybe you are already planning it, but you may want to also rough in some shop air lines with a couple drops. Many prefer copper or iron pipe- I actually used regular rubber air hose because it is cheap and easy to run everywhere.

How about some speaker wiring to get that great bluegrass into the shop:). I hooked some old powered computer speakers to my Ipod dock, and AKUS sounds oh so nice!!

Bob

Christian Aufreiter
06-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Nice job, Todd. It's certainly great fun working in this shop.
How large is it?

Regards,

Christian

Todd Davidson
06-06-2005, 6:49 PM
Given that we have the better part of a 5 gallon bucket of primer left over from a previous painting project I suppose I should brighten it up a bit. Will see what the Borg has for light colored "oops" paint before I commit though.

Hi John H~
Agree with your point about splatterings, but what I really want to know is if the painted wall will hurt less when I'm banging my head against it. :confused: :rolleyes: :D

Hi Bob~
Once funds permit the purchase of an IR compressor from Tractor Supply I'll pipe in some air lines. I plan on not sheathing the ceiling for sometime as I have several renovations yet to make to the rest of the house so I need access for wiring, plumbing, etc so I'll surface mount air lines along the walls when the time comes.
Already have the music aspect taken care of. Have a zillion cassettes - many Grateful Dead bootlegs - from the glorious days of mispent youth that have found their way out of storage and into the shop (and played through a perfectly good stereo that I picked up at a Goodwill store for $10. :D
PS: Was great to see you and your family last weekend. Sorry you missed Kim while she was out picking up grillables at the store for lunch.

Hi Christian~
Kim and I have dedicated an area about 25 feet x 25 or so feet to the shop. It is much more fun working from home than working out of someone elses shop (which is what was happening before we bought this house when shop time was needed). Plus we can create what we need for the house as our remodeling progresses and time permits.

Appreciate the input and words of encouragement from the rest of y'all.

Will post more as things progress. In peace, Todd & Kim