PDA

View Full Version : Applying Shellac

Jim Foster
11-14-2013, 1:44 PM
I'm brushing off a shellac finish 1:1 cut with Alcohol. The first coat went on well, second coat 2 hrs later is melting the first coat and causing it to pill? As I lay down a line with the brush it looks great, but as I backstroke it, it pulls up or pills what I think must be the first coat. Any suggestions?

David Hawxhurst
11-14-2013, 2:10 PM
shellac will melt in to the previous layer(s), this is normal. should be fine if you don't backstroke.

glenn bradley
11-14-2013, 2:13 PM
Fundamental rule of shellac - do not go back over an area you have just laid down. I have been able to bend this rule after getting the hang of shellac and coming to an agreement with it :). I usually pad shellac as the best coat of shellac is the thinnest one you can get away with. I know some folks take the time to use shellac as a filler but, this would be the only time I might try to build a film with it.

Jim Foster
11-14-2013, 3:03 PM
Thanks guys, I think adding to the issue you both helped with is I had a construction lamp with 1000 watts aimed at the area I was working on to light it up, I think it was drying the alcohol almost on contact. I'll see if I can follow a better regimen tonight.

Jim Becker
11-14-2013, 6:59 PM
Yea, shellac is "different" than brushing most other finishes...lay it on and leave it be. You really can't "work" it.

Kent A Bathurst
11-16-2013, 2:00 PM
Fundamental rule of shellac - do not go back over an area you have just laid down. I have been able to bend this rule after getting the hang of shellac and coming to an agreement with it :). I usually pad shellac as the best coat of shellac is the thinnest one you can get away with. I know some folks take the time to use shellac as a filler but, this would be the only time I might try to build a film with it.

What Glenn says...............

The only time I brush it is when I want a quick build for rubbing out - that process loses thickness, and even tiny "dips" from grain have to be filled to get the finish surface level.

Stew Hagerty
11-16-2013, 6:20 PM

I only touch a brush to shellac in two situations:

1) I cut the shellac to about a 1/2lb cut and brush it on as a blotch control. For this I usually use just an inexpensive foam brush.

2) I lay down a 2lb cut with a really nice Gramercy brush as a first coat. Then I give it a fine sanding, before padding on a few micro-layers. It basically just gives me a glassy smooth base to pad on, and significantly cuts down how long I need to do the padding.

John TenEyck
11-16-2013, 7:55 PM
I only touch a brush to shellac in two situations:

1) I cut the shellac to about a 1/2lb cut and brush it on as a blotch control. For this I usually use just an inexpensive foam brush.

2) I lay down a 2lb cut with a really nice Gramercy brush as a first coat. Then I give it a fine sanding, before padding on a few micro-layers. It basically just gives me a glassy smooth base to pad on, and significantly cuts down how long I need to do the padding.

What foam brush have you found that stands up to Shellac/DNA? None that I have tried do; they all swell up and get limp in less than a minute.

John

Stew Hagerty
11-17-2013, 8:53 PM
What foam brush have you found that stands up to Shellac/DNA? None that I have tried do; they all swell up and get limp in less than a minute.

John

Really? I haven't noticed that. Their nothing special, just some ones I bought on Amazon are what I'm using right now. But I think I've use ones from Lowes before, and possibly some from Rockler or Woodcraft too. I usually by several bags at a time when I see a good sale, so it's difficult to remember where & when.
Maybe it is because I just fill them up and wipe it on so quickly that it doesn't bother me. Also, it could be because I don't use DNA for my shellac. I make my own from BT&C flakes and I use Everclear as the solvent.