PDA

View Full Version : David Savage on Robert Sorby chisels

Hilton Ralphs
11-14-2013, 12:06 AM
Source: from an email sent to me today.

Another favourite brand of chisel in the workshop, are the blades made by Robert Sorby these blades made in Sheffield on the traditional European pattern. They offer a choice of either London pattern handle or the carvers handle both in Boxwood. The size of blade is matched to the size of handle and the fitting of the blade in the handle is cushioned by a leather washer. Nice.

The blades are made from a cold rolled steel and the bevels ground on these blades are well formed and well executed. The cold rolled steel takes a good sharp edge and holds it for a moderately long time. The challenge that we have with these blades is, in our considerable experience they are not always straight. If you place a straight edge on the back of the Robert Sorby chisel good chances are that you'll be able to see daylight beneath it. This seems to be created during manufacture.

It seems to us that a flat surface is ground on the backs of the chisels. They are then put into a magnetic vice and held flat whilst the bevels are ground in place. The heat created in the blade during the grinding process then causes the whole blade to bend very slightly down its length. Sorby have attempted to rationalise this by saying that it is a good sign of a good chisel. This in my opinion is not true, worse than that it is misleading.

An exceptionally good chisel ruined for me by deceptive marketing and indifferent manufacturing. These would however have to be my purchase of choice if I were forced to buy a set of chisels right now. This would commit me to spending probably five or six hours putting them right, assuming they would come to me like deformed steel bananas.

To do this I will have to find a flat surface probably a sheet of plate glass place that on another flat surface may be a kitchen worktop to support it. Then I would have to stick with a spray contact adhesive a fine abrasive sheet on the flat glass. I would probably start with 150 grit wet and dry. As the blade is probably bowed I would try applying very light pressure. As I rubbed it up and down the sheet of abrasive the more downward pressure I applied the more chance I would have of bending the blade. This is not the objective.

If I could live with this faffing about, that no other purchasers of new blade has to live with, I would find myself the proud owner of a fine set of exceptionally good furniture makers bevel edged chisels but i couldnt really recommend this to you, when we can do so many clever things with metal why cant we get this right!!
Pah!

Tony Wilkins
11-14-2013, 12:46 AM
I haven't used Sorby chisels but the one thing I've read over and over is that the steel is 'soft' and doesn't hold and edge particularly well. I find it interesting that his choice is a 'steel banana' from a misleading company. The next 2-3 reviews ought to be interesting. Wonder if Narex and/or Ashely Iles are amongst those as I've read good things about both those brands? Blue handled Irwins?

Derek Cohen
11-14-2013, 5:00 AM
I have received Davis Savages emails for some years. This one (as with the other one in a thread) strikes me as a repeat of something he wrote several years ago. Is he retreading old articles?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hilton Ralphs
11-14-2013, 5:03 AM
Good question. For some reason he went very quiet for a while but recently there seems to be a flurry of activity. I just think it's good for American consumers to get a view of what's happening over the Atlantic.

Jacob Reverb
11-14-2013, 5:52 AM
"The blades [of Sorby chisels] are made from a cold rolled steel"

Huh?

Isn't cold rolled steel just mild (low-carbon) steel like 1018 or A36 structural steel? If so, I'm surprised it'll take or hold an edge!

Richard Shaefer
11-14-2013, 7:15 AM
I'm sure the guy knows his stuff and is a great woodworker, but he writes like someone who learned English as a second language and has possibly seen 5 minutes of of people talking in ye olde English on PBS. It's frustrating to read.

Adam Cruea
11-14-2013, 8:09 AM
I'm sure the guy knows his stuff and is a great woodworker, but he writes like someone who learned English as a second language and has possibly seen 5 minutes of of people talking in ye olde English on PBS. It's frustrating to read.

Probably because I believe he might speak the Queen's English. :confused:

Either way, persnickety feller he is. Everything I've read actually does say that a chisel can have a concave bow on the back. The idea is that you don't use your chisel to determine flat, so relying on the back to be "flat" is. . .well. . .not the best idea.

Chris Griggs
11-14-2013, 8:17 AM
Probably because I believe he might speak the Queen's English. :confused:

Either way, persnickety feller he is. Everything I've read actually does say that a chisel can have a concave bow on the back. The idea is that you don't use your chisel to determine flat, so relying on the back to be "flat" is. . .well. . .not the best idea.

I actually prefer it when my Western chisels have a bit of concavity down the length. It ensure that when you hone the back you are always getting maximum polish right at the cutting edge. They are also easier to work on water stones, dead flat backs can get a little sticky.

Adam Cruea
11-14-2013, 8:27 AM
Good point to that, Chris. I completely forgot about some of my planes and chisels sticking to my water stones (hence why I try not to flatten too far up the back, but about 1" or so).