PDA

View Full Version : JDS Supply Issues?

Tim Bateson
11-13-2013, 5:48 PM
I've been a loyal JDS customer since 2007, & have loved their overnight deliveries. However this past year, it's hard to get a full order from the same location. Today I did a Rowmark/IPI inventory & tried to place an order - I use the Detroit distro. My order was going to be split from 3 different distro centers .. and they didn't even have some of the stock I needed.

I can't afford shipping from even 2 locations, let alone 3. So I canceled and placed my order with Johnson Plastics.

So what's going on JDS???

Scott Shepherd
11-13-2013, 6:19 PM
I ordered 20 quarter sheets of white ADA material about 6 months ago. It was a rush job, I needed the material in 2 days to get the job and get it done. Had to pull it from 5 locations to get it to me in time. I wasn't happy about it, but I figured I just caught them at a bad time.

Got the same job again about 2 months ago, same thing- need them all in 3 days. Went to order it, couldn't get it from 1 location. I called them and it ended up coming from 5 locations again. I asked them what the deal was, this was simply white ADA material and this was the second time in a couple of months. They said "It's just not that popular of a color for us so we don't stock much of it".

I haven't seen it as a wide spread issue with other materials, but it has happened to me twice in a short period of time.

Gary Hair
11-13-2013, 7:38 PM
I can't afford shipping from even 2 locations, let alone 3

Unless things have changed JDS does freight equalization so that you don't pay more to get something shipped from multiple locations.

Scott Shepherd
11-13-2013, 8:25 PM
Unless things have changed JDS does freight equalization so that you don't pay more to get something shipped from multiple locations.

Not so much that I know of. They didn't do that on either of my orders. I paid shipping from 5 locations on both orders, but I had to have the material, I had no choice. Johnson didn't have it either, even Rowmark was 4-5 days.

Gary Hair
11-14-2013, 1:24 AM
Not so much that I know of. They didn't do that on either of my orders. I paid shipping from 5 locations on both orders, but I had to have the material, I had no choice. Johnson didn't have it either, even Rowmark was 4-5 days.

I would check with customer service. As far as I know they will adjust the freight so that the total of those 5 shipments would be the same as if it came from your "local" warehouse.

Rodne Gold
11-14-2013, 1:53 AM
We found that in this economic climate - most of our suppliers are holding minimum inventories and also were drawing form multiple locations or facing a no stock position.
Forced me to look elsewhere and import my own inventory. Had 2 effects , 1) No waiting and no guessing about material stocks and 2) A HUGE reduction in costs - our engraving lams are almost 1/10th of the price of the local guys.!!!!!
I have done this with more and more of my products till at this stage , we are almost totally independent of local suppliers , their terrible service and high pricing. I don't live in a place like USA where freight costs are relatively low and often there is a 1000 mile distance between depots and so forth.
The downside of my strategy is that we had to rent a warehouse to store my stock and buying 1/2 to a full years worth of stock in one go is a major hit to cash flow...

Brian J Rogalny
11-14-2013, 6:11 AM
Try BK Plastics out of Ohio, one location with pretty good stock. Johnson always sends my orders out of a few locations.

Tim Bateson
11-14-2013, 8:22 AM
Rodney,

I can say with 80% confidence, I wouldn't be in this business if I had your logistic issues. My hat is off to you for making it work for you.

Mike Null
11-14-2013, 9:11 AM
Tim

JDS has always equalized my freight. I do buy my plastic from Johnson's as JDS doesn't have the broad assortment. It is not uncommon for Johnson's to ship from more than one location and they don't equalize freight.

Mike Troncalli
11-14-2013, 10:07 AM
I agree with both Rodney and Mike Null. JDS has never charged me extra when they had to ship from multiple locations. And as a wholesale gift manufacture both myself and my customers are doing the same thing, ordering just enough supplies each time. In this economic environment most business are just trying to say alive. It is a constant balancing act everyday. How much supplies to I keep in stock. How fast can I get supplies to be able to get orders out in time, etc, etc...