PDA

View Full Version : Stupid drawer, cabinet door lock question

Sean Hughto
11-13-2013, 2:17 PM
I have not really had occassion to install any locks on any drawers or cabinets I've made, but I hunt old brass bits (knobs, latches, hinges, etc.) for potential use and have seen pictures of locks like this:
But I don't recall ever seeing an escutheon that would allow the key to be extracted at two points 90 degrees apart. Can someone who has used one of these sorts of locks tell me how this works and why there are two holes? My guess is that it allows the same model lock to be used horizontally in a drawer or vertically in a door, but I wondered if there was some mechanical reason or if that was the reason, why not have a third extraction point so that the lock could be used on either side of the door without having an inverted key hole? Maybe, the levers wouldn't allow that? Thanks for any clarifications.

Ralph Boumenot
11-13-2013, 2:58 PM
It depends on how you mount it. ie on a box or a door for a cabinet. This way the key is inserted vertically in both instances. I've used the lock both ways - it may or may not be correct but that's how it worked for me.