PDA

View Full Version : Thirsty?

Larry Dubia
11-13-2013, 2:04 PM
My neighbor commissioned me to make two beer steins. The one pictured is the completed first one. I have never made anything even remotely like this, so it took me a while to work out how to do one.

The stein is 11" tall with a natural redwood burl cap. It is 3.5" diameter at the top, slightly more at the base.

Construction:
I hollowed out the redwood burl and made a ring for the lid and stein out of walnut to give strength to the rim. The handle is heavily burled redwood as is the inside of the lid. The hinge is semi heavy deer hide. It is completely sealed with Mahoney's utility oil twice heavily to soak in and let dry for three days.

Comments, suggestions, and criticisms are appreciated.

curtis rosche
11-13-2013, 2:12 PM
That looks amazing! Where do I get one and do they come in a larger size?

Larry Dubia
11-13-2013, 2:23 PM
A larger size, although not by much, is in the works next. How big would you want it? These are costing him $350 each. He is going to take it to his family get together and brag to his stein collector brothers. They are going to go nuts.

Eric Holmquist
11-13-2013, 3:06 PM
Beautiful stein! I can imagine collectors being green with envy!

The only thing that bothers me is how functional it will be long term, or is it expected to be more of a display piece than a daily use piece? I would worry about it holding liquid after much use with the porous nature of the burl body even with an oil finish.

James Combs
11-13-2013, 4:14 PM
Definitely a thirst quencher.:D

Dick Mahany
11-13-2013, 5:15 PM
Definitely unique and quite original. Your friend will be pleased I'm sure. How did you hollow the long stein body, Forstner bit or gouges?

Larry Dubia
11-13-2013, 7:14 PM
Definitely unique and quite original. Your friend will be pleased I'm sure. How did you hollow the long stein body, Forstner bit or gouges?

Drill, then gouges, then the last 3" was done with a square carbide cutter. The last 1/2" was scary due to the piece grabbing the tool and spinning it. It was pretty far out there at that point.

Steve Mawson
11-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Pretty neat. How did you attach the handle?

Larry Dubia
11-14-2013, 1:47 AM
Pretty neat. How did you attach the handle?

The handle is attached first by sanding to match the shape of the outside, then drilling a hole for a 1/4" dowel to sit in. Once it was set, I "dinged" the stein to get the exact placement and drilled and set the handle.

Jim Underwood
11-14-2013, 9:12 AM
Got quite the head of foam on that mug-o-wood.... ;)

Pretty cool!

Greg Ketell
11-14-2013, 7:03 PM
That is really great, Larry!

Jeff Nicol
11-14-2013, 7:21 PM
Very nice and a fun new thing to turn! I have been collecting steins for a long time but have not gotten around to finishing off my "Man" cave so they are stored in the attic, but this will give me a kick in the rear to turn one for myself and get the other 100 or so on some shelves.

Nice work and should be the envy of all

Jeff