PDA

View Full Version : Cyberlink Power DVD Application ????????????

Clarence Martin
11-13-2013, 9:26 AM
Well, this is a something I have not seen before. Message popped up on the monitor about an update. Figured it was another Windows 8.1 update. Nope, it's an update for something called Cyberlink Power DVD Application. So....

I go into the APPS thingamajig. (I don't like Apps!!) And there is this thing called CyberLink Power DVD 12.

I am assuming that the update has something to do with Cyberlink Power DVD 12 , but what is it ?

Is this software that is already installed on the computer (Which I have never used ) free to use, or is it just a trial version ?

mike holden
11-13-2013, 10:40 AM
It is a DVD player. It is a trial version, most likely since you have never used the computer (although how you knew it wanted an update if you never used the computer is beyond me - grin!)
Mike

Art Mann
11-13-2013, 10:47 AM
I used to have a version of that software on my computer. It was probably provided to you by your computer manufacturer to allow you to play DVD movies. Usually, the free software is a crippled version with a lot of features missing. The software company hopes you will try it and then buy an upgrade. You do not need this software unless you watch movies on your computer and have no other player. I don't use Windows 8 but there ought to be a mechanism to remove this software easily. It was easy enough to do it through the control panel on previous windows versions. If you use Cyberlink Power DVD, then you should probably go ahead and do the update.

Clarence Martin
11-13-2013, 1:40 PM
I am using VLC Media Player. Works fine for me . Don't see the need for Cyberlink.

Jim Laumann
11-13-2013, 1:57 PM
I've got a older version (5.?????) of it on a laptop which is still running Win XP. Have used it many times. Works fine for me.

Jim

Myk Rian
11-13-2013, 6:41 PM
I am using VLC Media Player. Works fine for me
Me too. Never used it until I got this machine with Win 7.