PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid TS lacking power/performance, can you help me?

Brandon Ketchum
11-12-2013, 8:15 PM
I have a Ridgid 4512 10" TS that is about 3 months old. I am unsure of what I did to create this problem, but my drive belt/pulley will not maintain its position/tightness. I am pretty sure I am doing something incorrectly (yes I am a beginner, learning as i go) I am hesitant in removing the cast iron top to get a better look, in fear of creating another issue. I'd really appreciate some insight/advice on how I can correct this.

Phil Thien
11-12-2013, 9:21 PM
Is it possible your pulley has stacked set screws? So there is one that snugs down on the arbor, and then another on top of that one that locks the first set screw in place?

If so, and if the first screw is loose, then no matter how much you snug the 2nd, you will never get it tight. You have to remove the 2nd screw, tighten the first, then replace the 2nd.

glenn bradley
11-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Phil hits on a "gotcha" that has embarrassed more than one of us ;-) If your pulleys are tight, remove the belt and see that the grooves are clean and dry; you should be able to do this without removing the top. As to removing the top, IIRC your saw has table mounted trunnions so in trying to "remove the top" you would definitely get yourself in trouble :). Check out the parts diagram and you will see what I mean . . . unless I'm wrong about the table mounted trunnions :o.

Your manual should also tell you about belt tension. Looking at the motor/trunnion format I assume there is a locking bolt that if loosened allows the motor's weight to tension the belt. You could push down a bit to increase this tension but, don't over-do it. You don't want to kill your bearings by applying too much lateral stress.

Oh, I just found your manual (http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/c2/c2e26e29-35a4-469c-8193-136092afdbd3.pdf), you remove the back panel to access the belt adjustments as shown on page 50.

Brandon Ketchum
11-19-2013, 11:21 AM
Thank you very much for the advise. I have been very busy with school and havent gotten to it yet, but I will be able to tackle it this afternoon. If I run into any other obstacles, do you mind if I seek knowledge from your direction? Thanks again

glenn bradley
11-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Thank you very much for the advise. I have been very busy with school and havent gotten to it yet, but I will be able to tackle it this afternoon. If I run into any other obstacles, do you mind if I seek knowledge from your direction? Thanks again

Ask away. That's why we're here; to share things we know and ask about things we don't.