PDA

View Full Version : Jointer, what to look for?

Bob Betker
11-12-2013, 7:49 PM
I'm going to look at a used Ridgid 6 1/8" jointer/planer later this week. I've never owned a jointer before, what things should I look at to ensure that it is in good working condition?

Thanks, Bob

glenn bradley
11-12-2013, 7:57 PM
I would move both of the tables a bit to see that the ways are not damaged. Check for table pitting or obvious signs of abuse. A jointer table that has served as a resting spot for a 300lb neighbor's hump may never be able to be aligned again ;-) Check that the fence moves easily and locks well. See that things spin smoothly by hand and don't make mysterious noises when turning under power. Run a board across it if you can.

Brian W Smith
11-13-2013, 5:48 AM
Small Maglite is a big help in onsite inspections.

Look at wear surfaces.......you should be able to tell just by looking at bed and fence how much use it has.

Turn it on and let it run awhile,feel the motor......hot=bad.

Ask and listen for,reasons PO is selling......you may get some clues that can help in your overall choices here.Not just specifically "this" example....meaning.'I used it for a cpl months and quickly found out it wasn't big enough"....or "powerful enough"...or,or.Best of luck,love going and shopping for used equipment.

Dave Cullen
11-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Bring a good straight edge and combination square with you. Check that the cast iron infeed and outfeed tables are not warped. Set the fence at 90 degrees to the tables and check it at a few places along its length. A warped or twisted fence is a pita to deal with.

Bob Betker
11-13-2013, 3:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I go to see it tomorrow night and hopefully bring home a new toy, ...oops, I mean tool.