PDA

View Full Version : Which stain did Consumers Report recommend in thier June issue?

Frank Pellow
06-05-2005, 4:42 PM
I subscribe to Consumers Reorts and last week I read an article in the June issue where one oil-based opaque stain rated the highest.

Right now I am 350 kil0ometres away from home at my daugter's place and preparing to restain her deck RIGHT NOW. The local magazine stores I checked either don't carry Consumers Report or they have the May issue.

I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me the manufacturer and brand of the highest rated stain.

Doug Shepard
06-05-2005, 6:19 PM
Google is your friend - but since I know they don't have Google where your daughter lives, I thought I'd help you out:D

Found this googling "Consumer Report stain June 2005"

http://www.infozine.com/news/stories/op/storiesView/sid/7920/
I think the last paragraph has what you're looking for.

Frank Pellow
06-05-2005, 7:37 PM
Google is your friend - but since I know they don't have Google where your daughter lives, I thought I'd help you out:D

Found this googling "Consumer Report stain June 2005"

http://www.infozine.com/news/stories/op/storiesView/sid/7920/
I think the last paragraph has what you're looking for.
Thanks Doug, but that's not what I was looking for. It does mention stains and it does say June 2005, but the stains mentioned are not those that I read about. What I am looking for is very specific to stains on decks made of pressure treated wood (the old kind of presure treated wood with arsenic in the formula).

Bill Erskine
06-05-2005, 7:53 PM
Frank, I'm looking online (I'm an online subscriber). Deck Treatments were covered last July 04.
Their ratings were...
Opaque - Cabots Decking Stain, Cabot Solid Color,
Semi-trans - Wolman Durastain

Hope that helps

Jerry Bittner
06-05-2005, 7:56 PM
Don't know if this is exactly what your looking for but I have the July 2005 issue of Consumer Reports in front of me and they recommend the Cabot decking stain 1480 as the highest. Next was also Cabot -- solid color 1880 -- both are opaque. I assume you know the opaque hides the wood grain.

Number 3 is Wolman Durastain 18146 which is semi transparent.

All fall in under the category of "Appearance Held Up"

Frank Pellow
06-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Bill and Jerry, THANKS A LOT! :) It was the Cabot stain that I was trying to recall. Now, to see if I can buy it in Canada.

July of last year, not June of 2005. :confused: :o I guess that I must have been reading an old issue. Sorry for the confusion.

And Jerry, yes I know that opaque hides the grain. The decking material used was not that good and, in my opinion, it should be hidden.

Frank Pellow
06-15-2005, 8:22 PM
It was the July 2005 issue, that I wanted. So I was not as forgetful as I feared. :)

As was the case in July 2004, they still recommend the Cabot stains the highest. And I can (and did) buy it (the oil based type) in Canada -at Rona. :) The can that sells for $24 (US) sells for $46 (Cdn) :( -a much bigger difference than the exchange rate.

Richard Wolf
06-15-2005, 8:54 PM
Frank, I bet you sure are glad you realized you weren't losing your mind!!

Richard