PDA

View Full Version : Performax 19-38 open end sander

Kieran Kammerer
11-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Anybody own one of these? Comments. Can you tell me if the accessory tables fold up/down or are they fixed? Thanks, Kieran

George Bokros
11-12-2013, 2:34 PM
I have the Performax 16-32 and the accessory infeed / outfeed tables do not fold up for that model. My guess is that your model would likely be the same.

George

Kieran Kammerer
11-12-2013, 3:46 PM
Thanks George

Erik King
11-12-2013, 8:58 PM
They are fixed. Totally rigid once installed. I love mine - one of the best tools I have bought!

Kieran Kammerer
11-12-2013, 9:08 PM
Thanks Erik

Wade Lippman
11-12-2013, 9:20 PM
Do you mean the Supermax 19-38? If so, I have owned one for 6 months and can't see any reason to have the tables at all. Maybe if you were sanding 8' pieces all the time, but for the once every year I have to do that I will just have my wife help for a few minutes. If you actually mean a Performax, then never mind.

Kieran Kammerer
11-12-2013, 9:42 PM
Correct Wade, Supermax 19-38. Thanks

glenn bradley
11-12-2013, 10:47 PM
I have that little beast. I love it. I have used it since June this year. Changing paper is so easy I don't even hesitate to do so if I want a different grit or am working up through the numbers. The dust collection is quite good despite this being the longest run from my 2HP cyclone and the last 15 feet are flex :eek:.

The tables are fixed and I would not do without them; YMMV. You may not need the tables but, I do table tops and other large/long glue-up panels and just like with your planer, stock support is key. Without the tables you would need some other form of stock support like roller stands to keep the weight of the material from being fully supported by the tension rollers; hardly their designed purpose, eh? For really long pieces, additional support is still required; the tables only add about a foot at the front and rear. For shorter pieces like kitchen-size doors, cutting boards, trivets, and all sorts of other stuff, the tables are not really required.

I tried to get them to sell it to me without the stand but, no soap. The footprint is quite large so I built a cabinet / mobile base for it (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?208400-Mobile-Base-for-Drum-Sander-with-Storage) and it has worked out great. If you're not hearing any complaints, I'll try to come up with one . . . The spring-tension clip that keeps the paper tight is on the carriage side of the drum. If I were designing it, I might have had that on the outboard side.

Wade Lippman
11-12-2013, 11:01 PM
The tables are fixed and I would not do without them; YMMV. You may not need the tables but, I do table tops and other large/long glue-up panels and just like with your planer, stock support is key. Without the tables you would need some other form of stock support like roller stands to keep the weight of the material from being fully supported by the tension rollers; hardly their designed purpose, eh?

I don't think I have done anything over 72" x 24", but I just put one end on the belt and hold the other end. When about 40% is through I go around and grab the end coming out. It seems to work just fine. Am I missing something?

William C Rogers
11-13-2013, 6:20 AM
I have had my Supermax for quite a while and it a great sander. I did a review here when I first got it and it still performs the same as when I first got it. I can't figure out how to do the links. The tables are fixed and it is preference if you want them. My preference is to have them as it makes it a little easier to use. I bought an enclosed stand and that was not worth it to me. Glenn's stand is 10X better and wish I had done something like that. The stand that comes with it is fine once you add wheels and my Dewalt 735 now sits on it. I got the DRO free with mine and I use it all the time.

Justin Ludwig
11-13-2013, 9:02 AM
I'm in a temporary shop so everything has to be mobile (except TS and MS). I didn't buy the feed tables. Here's what I do (for now).

Kieran Kammerer
11-13-2013, 9:06 AM
Thanks for all the great ideas. Looks like I will be ordering one in the very near future....

glenn bradley
11-13-2013, 8:30 PM
I don't think I have done anything over 72" x 24", but I just put one end on the belt and hold the other end. When about 40% is through I go around and grab the end coming out. It seems to work just fine. Am I missing something?

Nope. If that is working for you, you're good. I do other things while the boards are working their way through. I don't usually run things through at top speed and 72" at 2 or 3 FPM is a fair amount of time to stand and watch for someone as hyper as I am. Also, with the tables, smaller items can just run out onto the table and wait there. Wow, for someone who takes so long to get things done I sure sound like I'm in a hurry. :D:D:D